HardwareBanter

-   Storage & Hardrives (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Fastest workstation storage (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=95458)

.::SuperBLUE::. April 24th 05 07:38 AM

Fastest workstation storage

Hello,
I am looking for fastest raid 0 storage solution for a workstation. Is
Adaptec 39320 controler + 6 Fujitsu mas 36gb 15000 rpm drives u 320 the
fastest i could get or is there something else, faster? Thanks

Peter April 24th 05 01:09 PM

Hello,
I am looking for fastest raid 0 storage solution for a workstation. Is
Adaptec 39320 controler + 6 Fujitsu mas 36gb 15000 rpm drives u 320 the
fastest i could get or is there something else, faster? Thanks

Fast is a generic term. Be more specific. Fast RAID for a
database, web server or a streaming application requires a
different selection criteria.

[email protected] April 24th 05 01:35 PM

U comp.periphs.scsi .::SuperBLUE::. prica:
I am looking for fastest raid 0 storage solution for a workstation. Is
Adaptec 39320 controler + 6 Fujitsu mas 36gb 15000 rpm drives u 320 the
fastest i could get or is there something else, faster? Thanks

39320 is not a RAID controller... You could possibly use software RAID0
solution, but I don't recommend it... Here is a list of Adaptec's RAID
controllers:

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/sup...e=supportindex

Also check LSI and ICP Vortex...

Second... What kind of speed you need? Fast read, write, seek?

--
Tapira spava sretan kaktusu maltretiru danima u saboru.
By runf

Damir Lukic,
a member of hr.comp.hardver FAQ-team

Eric Gisin April 24th 05 03:53 PM

Don't be stupid. Hardware RAID is of no benefit on the desktop, especially
from Adaptec.

If you do not have PCI-X, the fastest (STR) available is RAID 0 on Intel's
i9XX and nForce4 SATA2.

If you want a fast workstation, get a 15K SCSI OS drive, and IDE for data.

wrote in message

39320 is not a RAID controller... You could possibly use software RAID0
solution, but I don't recommend it... Here is a list of Adaptec's RAID
controllers:

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/sup...=no&language=E
nglish+US&cat=%2FTechnology%2FRAID&fromPage=suppor tindex

Folkert Rienstra April 24th 05 08:33 PM

wrote in message
U comp.periphs.scsi .::SuperBLUE::. prica:
I am looking for fastest raid 0 storage solution for a workstation.
Is Adaptec 39320 controler + 6 Fujitsu mas 36gb 15000 rpm drives
u 320 the fastest i could get or is there something else, faster? Thanks

39320 is not a RAID controller...

Yes, it is. Just not an all purpose one.

You could possibly use software RAID0 solution,

That is what all RAID is, software.
The only difference is where this software runs on/runs in,
whether that's a dedicated processor, bios+driver or driver only.

but I don't recommend it...

Who cares what you recommend.

Here is a list of Adaptec's RAID controllers:

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/sup...e=supportindex

Also check LSI and ICP Vortex...

Second... What kind of speed you need? Fast read, write, seek?

Do you always have to ask questions that the post already answers?

Folkert Rienstra April 24th 05 08:33 PM

"Eric Gisin" wrote in message
Don't be stupid. Hardware RAID is of no benefit on the desktop, especially
from Adaptec.

If you do not have PCI-X, the fastest (STR) available is RAID 0 on Intel's
i9XX and nForce4 SATA2.

If you want a fast workstation, get a 15K SCSI OS drive, and IDE for data.

And you said "Don't be stupid"?

.::SuperBLUE::. April 24th 05 09:59 PM

You could possibly use software RAID0
solution, but I don't recommend it...

Why not? Will it make a serious impact on performance of a dual opteron.

Second... What kind of speed you need? Fast read, write, seek?

Fastest possible - read, write, seek.

http://www.fcpa.fujitsu.com/products...specifications.
html

.::SuperBLUE::. April 24th 05 10:16 PM

Fast is a generic term. Be more specific. Fast RAID for a
database, web server or a streaming application requires a
different selection criteria.

This workstation is used for various 35mm film and hdtv video production
effects.

.::SuperBLUE::. April 24th 05 10:31 PM

39320 is not a RAID controller...
http://www.geizhals.at/eu/?cat=sccraid&sort=p

J. Clarke April 24th 05 10:42 PM

..::SuperBLUE::. wrote:

You could possibly use software RAID0
solution, but I don't recommend it...

Why not? Will it make a serious impact on performance of a dual opteron.

Second... What kind of speed you need? Fast read, write, seek?

Fastest possible - read, write, seek.

http://www.fcpa.fujitsu.com/products...specifications.
html

If your only criterion is "the fastest possible" then you want a RAM based
device, not disk.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate