HardwareBanter

-   Compaq Computers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Compaq Presario 5451 will not boot (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=58409)

Jay Bollyn December 12th 03 05:23 PM

Compaq Presario 5451 will not boot

######### ORIGINAL PROBLEM REPORT #########

I am looking at this PC, as a favor for someone, so I don't know anything
about its history. I would like to know which hardware component is the
likely cause.

When the PC is plugged in, here is what happens:

The fan under the power connector comes on and stays on;

The green LED on the front bezel is on solid;

The lights on the NIC remain dark;

Pressing the on/off button on the front bezel has no effect, no matter how
long the button is pushed in;

HDD LED on front bezel remains dark;

No video at all;

No beeps;

No HDD activity is heard;

Also, the Compaq tape (on the back) is still in place, so the case has
probably not been opened.

When I got this PC, the switch near the power plug was set to 230, instead
of 115 as it should have been. Is this likely to have caused damage?

######### P.S. 1 #########

I have removed both cards (modem and NIC). Did not make a difference.

######### P.S. 2 #########

Well, I swapped out the power supply, bought from HP/Compaq. The only
difference now is BOTH the power LED and HDD LED on the front bezel are lit
solid green. Everything else is the same. The CPU fan is not spinning.

Replacing the PS has had some effect, but is not the complete solution.

It seems this has to be either defective motherboard or CPU. Opinions?

Would welcome any suggestions.

Thanks.

-- Jay

Jay Bollyn December 13th 03 05:39 PM

"Euc1id" wrote in message
ink.net...
You should get some blinking of the hard drive activity light when you

start
it. If not, try substituting a different hard drive.
--
Euc1id

Thanks for the suggestion. Are you saying the HDD IDE electronics might be
shorted out? This is an interesting possibility that I had not considered.
On Monday, I will swap in a known-good HDD, and report back here. I know I
have had bad HDDs (hardware failure) that prevented booting (very early in
the POST) in the past. This possibility should have occured to me; my bad.

The only 'user-error' I am aware of with this box, is the PS switch was
incorrectly set to 230 (instead of 115). Can this incorrect setting cause
hardware damage? If so, which components?

-- Jay

Earl F. Parrish December 14th 03 01:36 AM

"Jay Bollyn" wrote in message
"Euc1id" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

The computer will not run if the voltage setting does not match the
actual voltage at the wall outlet. If the computer had been used in
Europe or Asia, it might have had that voltage setting. The power
supply will not turn on if the voltage is wrong.

--
Earl F. Parrish