HardwareBanter

-   Homebuilt PC's (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Laptop Battery-OT??? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=159128)

pheasant October 26th 07 02:08 PM

Laptop Battery-OT???

Daughter finally whined long and loud enough to get us to cave and buy her a
new whiz bang laptop. :\

So we' ve got the old Dell with a battery that's at least 3 years old.
Think I bought her a new battery before she headed to college.

It's used mainly as a desktop replacement, so ac is available, and we
normally just leave it plugged in. Had it in the kitchen for a recipe, and
held it's juice nicely for about 20 minutes.

After 20 minutes (2 open windows) it read 75% then dropped precipitiously
about 15% every 5 minutes.

Dumb question is this normal or is the battery about had it? Inspiron P3
600mhz, win xp, with a wireless card.

Thanks
Mark

Frank McCoy October 26th 07 07:24 PM

Laptop Battery-OT???

In alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt "pheasant" wrote:

Daughter finally whined long and loud enough to get us to cave and buy her a
new whiz bang laptop. :\

So we' ve got the old Dell with a battery that's at least 3 years old.
Think I bought her a new battery before she headed to college.

It's used mainly as a desktop replacement, so ac is available, and we
normally just leave it plugged in. Had it in the kitchen for a recipe, and
held it's juice nicely for about 20 minutes.

After 20 minutes (2 open windows) it read 75% then dropped precipitiously
about 15% every 5 minutes.

Dumb question is this normal or is the battery about had it? Inspiron P3
600mhz, win xp, with a wireless card.

It needs a new battery.

Don't know if this is good advice or not:
I've heard that putting the battery in the freezer for a while helps.

Try googling on Lithium and NIMH batteries for laptops.

--
_____
/ ' / ™

fermineutron October 26th 07 07:40 PM

Laptop Battery-OT???

On Oct 26, 9:08 am, "pheasant" wrote:
Daughter finally whined long and loud enough to get us to cave and buy her a
new whiz bang laptop. :\

So we' ve got the old Dell with a battery that's at least 3 years old.
Think I bought her a new battery before she headed to college.

It's used mainly as a desktop replacement, so ac is available, and we
normally just leave it plugged in. Had it in the kitchen for a recipe, and
held it's juice nicely for about 20 minutes.

After 20 minutes (2 open windows) it read 75% then dropped precipitiously
about 15% every 5 minutes.

Dumb question is this normal or is the battery about had it? Inspiron P3
600mhz, win xp, with a wireless card.

Thanks
Mark

My notebooks battery held about 2HR worth of power, new. Now 2years
later i get the low batt warrning allot sooner, may be 1hr. Try to
completely drain and then fully charge battery, may be do it couple
times in a row, this might make meter slightly more accurate but not
whole bunch. New batt should solve ur problems.

~Mike Hollywood October 26th 07 11:55 PM

Laptop Battery-OT???

when the battery died in my old hp, i just removed it, and used the ac
adapter instead. It's been like that for over 3 years now and works fine.

Mike

ups.com...

Chris Hill[_3_] October 27th 07 01:45 AM

Laptop Battery-OT???

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 08:08:48 -0500, "pheasant"
wrote:

Daughter finally whined long and loud enough to get us to cave and buy her a
new whiz bang laptop. :\

So we' ve got the old Dell with a battery that's at least 3 years old.
Think I bought her a new battery before she headed to college.

It's used mainly as a desktop replacement, so ac is available, and we
normally just leave it plugged in. Had it in the kitchen for a recipe, and
held it's juice nicely for about 20 minutes.

After 20 minutes (2 open windows) it read 75% then dropped precipitiously
about 15% every 5 minutes.

Dumb question is this normal or is the battery about had it? Inspiron P3
600mhz, win xp, with a wireless card.

It is nearly done. Performance will only get worse from there.
That's about a year longer than I'd expect out of a LI battery.

pheasant October 27th 07 12:32 PM

Laptop Battery-OT???

pheasant wrote:

Thanks Guys!

We'll leave it plugged in. Appears they are considerably less expensive
today then when I bought the last one should we decide to make it mobile
again.

Mark