HardwareBanter

-   Overclocking AMD Processors (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Best Mobo/CPU Combo For $200-$250 (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=16654)

SpicaTC50 June 26th 04 09:31 PM

Best Mobo/CPU Combo For $200-$250

I'm putting together a base system tomorrow and could use some advice.
Thanks.

Robert Jackson Marley June 26th 04 10:01 PM

mobile 2500 and asus a7n8x-e deluxe would suffice

SpicaTC50 June 26th 04 10:24 PM

Thanks. Any rec on memory without breaking the bank?

In article ,
x says...

rms June 26th 04 11:30 PM

Oh come on. Newegg.com has a Athlon64 2800+ & Mobo & FarCry for $223.
It's time to stop recommending socketA.

rms

Jake Smith June 27th 04 03:43 AM

How about that 64bit OS and Applications, all games run slower on
64bit cpu all of them :(

rms June 27th 04 04:09 AM

How about that 64bit OS and Applications, all games run slower on
64bit cpu all of them :(

So what? the guy is considering the AthlonXP, which the Athlon64 beats
handily in 32bit. 64bit Windows is a non-issue at the present (and beta)
time. *But it's there* for the using once a real 64bit Windows is
available.

rms

rstlne June 27th 04 04:56 AM

"rms" wrote in message
. ..
How about that 64bit OS and Applications, all games run slower on
64bit cpu all of them :(

So what? the guy is considering the AthlonXP, which the Athlon64

beats
handily in 32bit. 64bit Windows is a non-issue at the present (and beta)
time. *But it's there* for the using once a real 64bit Windows is
available.

rms

the A64's are more expensive
Will a pr chip at 2800+ beat out a chip that can go straight to 3200+ with
no known issues.
Microsoft might make XP-64 a OEM product ONLY and try to keep end users from
buying it (this could be an issue to many people). If you think it's BS
then tell me where I can buy the XP Media Center Os.

What was suggested would cost the op 100$, and that'll let them get an extra
100$ in ram, or more towards a nice video card (in other words, the system
might just be faster than what they could buy in the a64 range)..

I am not saying we should stick with socket A but I do think it's good kit
for most people out there.

Jake Smith June 27th 04 05:27 AM

Well ill stick with SocketA for a while, and upgrade to the newer
mobile cpus :), well thats if AMD release them, 2800,3000,3200 ?

Ill go 64bit when a OS is their and APPS and games take advantage of
it, just like the 16 to 32 bit conversion.

Oh well the times are a changing.

rms June 27th 04 06:02 AM

Will a pr chip at 2800+ beat out a chip that can go straight to 3200+ with
no known issues.

You are forgetting that PR ratings are not the same for Athlon64 vs XP.
An Athlon64 2800+ is probably about equal to a XP3200+ in 32bit. And you
can overclock Athlon64 just as easily as the XP on any of the newer boards.

Microsoft might make XP-64 a OEM product ONLY

Why would they do this?

rms

Jake Smith June 27th 04 08:00 AM

Does that mean it will only install on a dell and like with specific
hardware ?

And if i tried to install it it would not ?

That would suck, BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT, their would be iso's on p2p in
no time cracked and everyone would have 64bit Microsoft OS :)

So even if they do a OEM wont matter.

But why they would is funny to me, don't they want to make more money
?, i have read this in a few places.

See ya.