HardwareBanter

-   Homebuilt PC's (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Who uses the Windows 7 password reset disc utility? It's great (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=188249)

RayLopez99 April 12th 11 03:34 PM

Who uses the Windows 7 password reset disc utility? It's great

Apparently they improved on the XP password reset disc. Now, with
Windows 7, you can create a small file (initially on a USB stick) that
can then be stored anywhere. Further, unlike in XP, once you have
this file created, no matter how often you change the password you no
longer have to create a new password reset disc.

So in 7 you can create this small file once, email it to yourself,
then if you ever forget your login, you can copy this file to a USB
stick and then get into your Windows 7 account again. Very cool.

I understand there are utilities to do this as well, but this new (I
think it's new) feature in 7 is very handy.

RL

Mint April 13th 11 12:56 AM

On Apr 12, 9:34*am, RayLopez99 wrote:
Apparently they improved on the XP password reset disc. *Now, with
Windows 7, you can create a small file (initially on a USB stick) that
can then be stored anywhere. *Further, unlike in XP, once you have
this file created, no matter how often you change the password you no
longer have to create a new password reset disc.

So in 7 you can create this small file once, email it to yourself,
then if you ever forget your login, you can copy this file to a USB
stick and then get into your Windows 7 account again. *Very cool.

I understand there are utilities to do this as well, but this new (I
think it's new) feature in 7 is very handy.

RL

Even easier is to store you password in an encrypted file on another
drive or USB stick and keep it updated.

Andy

Man-wai Chang April 13th 11 02:49 PM

Who uses the Windows 7 password reset disc utility? It's great

I understand there are utilities to do this as well, but this new (I
think it's new) feature in 7 is very handy.

A good admin never forget server passwords. :)

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.38.2

RayLopez99 April 14th 11 01:21 PM

On Apr 13, 8:49*pm, Man-wai Chang wrote:
I understand there are utilities to do this as well, but this new (I
think it's new) feature in 7 is very handy.

A good admin never forget server passwords. :)

--

I would say that if you can remember your server password, you are not
a good admin. For extra safety the password should be greater than 15

RL