is all PC3200 memory always rated for 400mhz FSB?

thanks...
dxtx

ICee March 29th 04 08:22 PM

wrote:
hey everyone,

the subject pretty much says it all.. it is a stupid question, but i
just want to be dead sure.
is all PC3200 memory always rated for 400mhz FSB?

thanks...
dxtx

Yes.

Augustus March 29th 04 08:40 PM

the subject pretty much says it all.. it is a stupid question, but i just
want to be dead sure.
is all PC3200 memory always rated for 400mhz FSB?

Yep

Ben Pope March 29th 04 10:12 PM

wrote:
hey everyone,

the subject pretty much says it all.. it is a stupid question, but i just
want to be dead sure.
is all PC3200 memory always rated for 400mhz FSB?

No, not at all.

It's rated for 200MHz DDR memory bus.

The FSB has nothing to do with it.

Ben
--
A7N8X FAQ:
www.ben.pope.name/a7n8x_faq.html

Queve Tientoo March 29th 04 10:37 PM

YOU WIN!

Hippy Paul March 29th 04 11:40 PM

wrote in message
ink.net...
hey everyone,

the subject pretty much says it all.. it is a stupid question, but i just
want to be dead sure.
is all PC3200 memory always rated for 400mhz FSB?

thanks...
dxtx

Yes but not all can do so at the same CAS

eg some ram may be set at 2.5 and needs to be set to 3.0 to do it.

~misfit~ March 30th 04 12:37 AM

Ben Pope wrote:
wrote:
hey everyone,

the subject pretty much says it all.. it is a stupid question, but i
just want to be dead sure.
is all PC3200 memory always rated for 400mhz FSB?

No, not at all.

It's rated for 200MHz DDR memory bus.

The FSB has nothing to do with it.

Correct answer Ben. God I hate this "400Mhz" ****, it's 200Mhz with data
moving twice per cycle dammit!
--
~misfit~

Hippy Paul March 30th 04 09:36 PM

"BigBadger" wrote in message
No memory in the world is rated for 400MHz......PC3200 runs at 200MHz. The
400DDR is just marketing BS.

Yeah it is, but it is so prevalent that even some overclocking websites have
things like "400mhz fsb" in their sales blurb when they mean pc3200 - I was
just going to let it slide as I knew what they meant,

But if we are all going to be pedantic - if there were such a thing as
400mhz fsb in the amd world, the memory could be run at a fsb/memory ratio
of 2:1 - so the answer is still yes.
- but you would still have to get CAS right

johny March 31st 04 10:15 AM

Yes PC3200 memory is for 400FSB

NO PC3200 memory does not operate at 400MHZ, its a DUAL CHANNEL 200MHZ.

The problem is, a lot of people don't understand the difference between FSB and Memory Bus.

Dictionary says: Short for Front Side Bus, FSB is also known as the Processor Bus, Memory Bus, or System Bus connects the CPU with the main memory and is used to connect to other components within the computer. The FSB can range from speeds of 66 MHz, 133 MHz, 100 MHz, 266 MHz, 400 MHz, and up.

Okay now, I'm confused myself, what the heck is Processor Bus, Memory Bus and System bus.

Don't even start with Pentium 4's 533FSB, thats messed up.