HardwareBanter

-   Ati Videocards (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Want to replace a Radeon 7000 with a Radeon 9200 (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=40455)

Jim Davis July 2nd 03 11:07 AM

Want to replace a Radeon 7000 with a Radeon 9200

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 05:25:13 GMT, Ed Wilson
wrote/replied to:

I'm thinking about replacing a 2 year old 32Mb Radeon 7000 with
something newer, probably a Radeon 9200 with 128 Mb of memory & 8X AGP.
I noticed that the Radeon 9200 is sold by several board makers including
ATI. Is there any real difference between these video cards? Will
the 9200 provide a platform that will be usable for the next couple of
years? I'm not locked into the 9200 and am open to suggestions. I
just don't want to break the bank on a card that I know will be obsolete
in a year or two anyway. I will be using the card in a ASUS A7N8X MB
with an Athlon XP 2600 processor.
Thanks

I have this card.

Problem is AA won't work in some games.

Otherwise, it's a fast card and works well with XP.

I'm not sure if it will work with an older MB though that doesn't
support AGP 8. Better check that out.

Jim Davis
Nature Photography
http://www.kjsl.com/~jbdavis/

Alan Shepherd July 2nd 03 12:57 PM

All current videocards will run in x8 boards at either x4 or x8, and there
are no new AGP videocards that are not at least x4 capable.

If you can stretch to it, get a 9600 np.

Ed T Wilson July 3rd 03 03:55 PM

Are most of the cards out there with the ATI 9600 chip about equal in
quality and features or is it best to stick with an ATI card? I see
that places like googlegear offer ATI 9600 from several manufacturers.