PDA

View Full Version : Quiet AMD64 coolers.

Black Shuck
January 22nd 05, 01:32 AM
Got my AMD Winchester 3500+ amd Asus A8V Deluxe board, but the fan makes
WAY too much noise compared to my old P4 system. I have "Cool and NotSo
Quiet" enabled, along with Q-Fan2 in the BIOS, and it made a small
improvement.

The temps are quite normal (48 oC), so i think it's just a ****y quality
AMD boxed fan.

Anyone recommend a way of making it quiet, so I can think again in
peace? Was looking at a Zalman 7700 AlCu, but quite pricy for a CPU
HS/Fan. Anything as good but cheaper???

Ed Light
January 22nd 05, 02:16 AM
http://www.silentpcreview.com/

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Wes Newell
January 22nd 05, 07:42 AM
On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 00:32:43 +0000, Black Shuck wrote:

> Got my AMD Winchester 3500+ amd Asus A8V Deluxe board, but the fan makes
> WAY too much noise compared to my old P4 system. I have "Cool and NotSo
> Quiet" enabled, along with Q-Fan2 in the BIOS, and it made a small
> improvement.
>
> The temps are quite normal (48 oC), so i think it's just a ****y quality
> AMD boxed fan.
>
> Anyone recommend a way of making it quiet, so I can think again in peace?
> Was looking at a Zalman 7700 AlCu, but quite pricy for a CPU HS/Fan.
> Anything as good but cheaper???

Replace the fan with a 70->80mm fan adapter, then install an 80x25mm
fan. While the stock fan leaves a lot to be desired, the actual HS itself
is quite good.

http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.htm

DougH
January 22nd 05, 08:12 AM
> Got my AMD Winchester 3500+ amd Asus A8V Deluxe board, but the fan makes
> WAY too much noise compared to my old P4 system. I have "Cool and NotSo
> Quiet" enabled, along with Q-Fan2 in the BIOS, and it made a small
> improvement.
>
> The temps are quite normal (48 oC), so i think it's just a ****y quality
> AMD boxed fan.

You are probably right about getting a bad quality fan. I'm running the AMD
fan on mine with Cool n Quiet enabled and my cpu temp reads a very quiet
30C.

DougH
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe/AMD 3500+
MSI NX6800GT

John Hollingsworth
January 22nd 05, 12:25 PM
In article >,
(Black Shuck) wrote:

> *From:* Black Shuck >
> *Date:* Sat, 22 Jan 2005 00:32:43 +0000
>
> Got my AMD Winchester 3500+ amd Asus A8V Deluxe board, but the fan
> makes WAY too much noise compared to my old P4 system. I have "Cool
> and NotSo Quiet" enabled, along with Q-Fan2 in the BIOS, and it made a
> small improvement.
>
> The temps are quite normal (48 oC), so i think it's just a ****y
> quality AMD boxed fan.
>
> Anyone recommend a way of making it quiet, so I can think again in
> peace? Was looking at a Zalman 7700 AlCu, but quite pricy for a CPU
> HS/Fan. Anything as good but cheaper???

I'm using a Zalman Al-Cu 7000 on an A8V and 3500+ Newcastle, and am
impressed with its quietness. I've disable C & Q and also Q Fan. The
Zalman fan is set to min and runs at ~ 1380 giving an Idle CPU temp of ~
36 deg C and ~ 48 deg on full load. If you are going to a lot of 100% CPU
usage you can enable Q Fan and use that to control the Zalman fan.

John

Please remove "NO-SPAM" if sending email.

DougH
January 22nd 05, 04:43 PM
> You are probably right about getting a bad quality fan. I'm running the
> AMD
> fan on mine with Cool n Quiet enabled and my cpu temp reads a very quiet
> 30C.

Forgot to mention, with a load it gets to about 48C.

DougH
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe/AMD 3500+
MSI NX6800GT

DougH
January 22nd 05, 04:53 PM
> You are probably right about getting a bad quality fan. I'm running the
> AMD
> fan on mine with Cool n Quiet enabled and my cpu temp reads a very quiet
> 30C.

Forgot to mention, normal working temps are about 40C to 44C. With a load
like [email protected] it gets to about 48C.

DougH
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe/AMD 3500+
MSI NX6800GT

Sept1967
January 23rd 05, 06:57 PM
Try a ThermalTake Silent Boost K8. All copper, quiet fan, easy install
(toolless) clip.
http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/venus/rs/a1838.htm

You can get one for around $25 shipped, from Pricewatch
http://castle.pricewatch.com/search/search.idq?qc="THERMALTAKE"*+AND+"SILENT"*+AND+"BOOST"*+AND+"K8"*&cr=thermaltake+silent+boost+K8