PDA

View Full Version : When will the first "10 GHz" cpu be made available to the end user?

TripleEight
January 19th 05, 05:14 PM
Everyone take a gamble! :)

I say in 2007 January.

Susan Sontag in Hell
January 19th 05, 05:24 PM
Next Tuesday.

TripleEight
January 19th 05, 05:33 PM
"Susan Sontag in Hell" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
| Next Tuesday.

That's cool! Could you tell me where I can get this AMD 10GHz processor? :D

Also tell me which motherbaords would be the best! ; )

Wes Newell
January 19th 05, 06:28 PM
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 16:14:25 +0000, TripleEight wrote:

> Everyone take a gamble! :)
>
> I say in 2007 January.

I'l say 2010, but I really think it'll be a lot longer than that. Wonder
why both amd an iintel are working on dual core cpu's.:-)

http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.htm

Ed Koan
January 19th 05, 07:29 PM
TripleEight wrote:
> Everyone take a gamble! :)
>
> I say in 2007 January.

I say never. There's little to no point at all ramping frequency up.
The future is multiple core on chip and tricks like that.
Look at AMD. It's 2 years they work at 2GHz with different cpus. But
AMD64 is way faster than K7, even if their frequency is the same.

Remember: 10GHZ means the light will travel for 3cm, slightly more than
1". So you need several clock cycles before the signal moves on from the
cpu to main memory. Your cpu will sit idle waiting for data.

TripleEight
January 19th 05, 07:40 PM
"Ed Koan" > wrote in message
| TripleEight wrote:
| > Everyone take a gamble! :)
| >
| > I say in 2007 January.
|
| I say never. There's little to no point at all ramping frequency up.
| The future is multiple core on chip and tricks like that.
| Look at AMD. It's 2 years they work at 2GHz with different cpus. But
| AMD64 is way faster than K7, even if their frequency is the same.
|
| Remember: 10GHZ means the light will travel for 3cm, slightly more than
| 1". So you need several clock cycles before the signal moves on from the
| cpu to main memory. Your cpu will sit idle waiting for data.

This leads lead to another question.

Will there ever be a limit? I always had thought there would!

Ed Koan
January 19th 05, 07:47 PM
TripleEight wrote:
> "Ed Koan" > wrote in message
> | TripleEight wrote:
> | > Everyone take a gamble! :)
> | >
> | > I say in 2007 January.
> |
> | I say never. There's little to no point at all ramping frequency up.
> | The future is multiple core on chip and tricks like that.
> | Look at AMD. It's 2 years they work at 2GHz with different cpus. But
> | AMD64 is way faster than K7, even if their frequency is the same.
> |
> | Remember: 10GHZ means the light will travel for 3cm, slightly more than
> | 1". So you need several clock cycles before the signal moves on from the
> | cpu to main memory. Your cpu will sit idle waiting for data.
>
> This leads lead to another question.
>
> Will there ever be a limit? I always had thought there would!

Well, you have some limits. Speed of light, for instance. Or limits due
to Heisenberg's principle. Or even better in this case, size of an atom.
The latter means you won't be able to create a circuit smaller than an
atom (forget quantum computing, which is nice for writing SF stories).

But if you start thinking just about the current situation, the
bottleneck isn't cpu anymore. It's the I/O, i.e memory access. In real
life DDR400 is not almost twice as fast as DDR266, say.
What next? I don't know. But I doubt the speed of the *whole* pc will
double every 18 months in the near future.

Mitch Crane
January 19th 05, 10:22 PM
"TripleEight" > wrote in
:

> Everyone take a gamble! :)
>
> I say in 2007 January.

Correct. And it will be a 1361-bit processor. Your video card will be the
size of a small RV and will require a dedicated 3 phase power input. Hard
drives will be solid state holographic crystal devices and we will drive
flying cars.

Oh, and Generalissimo Francisco Franco will still be dead.

Debbie the Dogged
January 20th 05, 03:07 AM
In article >,
says...
> "TripleEight" > wrote in
> :
>
> > Everyone take a gamble! :)
> >
> > I say in 2007 January.
>
> Correct. And it will be a 1361-bit processor. Your video card will be the
> size of a small RV and will require a dedicated 3 phase power input. Hard
> drives will be solid state holographic crystal devices and we will drive
> flying cars.

You forgot: programs will know in advance when you want to run them and
the results will be waiting for you whenever you sit down at your
computer. In fact, they'll be so fast that they finish before they
start.

> Oh, and Generalissimo Francisco Franco will still be dead.

LOL!

(First post here, proud owner of an HP Pavilion a850e with an Athlon 64
3400+, and somewhat wishing I'd read this newgroup before I ordered, but
happy with my new machine, "Speedy", anyway, especially in comparison to
the P2 400MHz it replaced).
--
Debbie the Dogged das at spamcop dot net
"Poodles are space aliens who think they've disguised

Carlo Razzeto
January 20th 05, 04:45 AM
"TripleEight" > wrote in message
> Everyone take a gamble! :)
>
> I say in 2007 January.

Quantum Computers are the wave of the future

http://www.qubit.org/library/intros/comp/comp.html

Mitch Crane
January 20th 05, 05:16 AM
Debbie the Dogged > wrote in
:

> In article >,
> says...
>> "TripleEight" > wrote in
>> :
>>
>> > Everyone take a gamble! :)
>> >
>> > I say in 2007 January.
>>
>> Correct. And it will be a 1361-bit processor. Your video card will be
>> the size of a small RV and will require a dedicated 3 phase power
>> input. Hard drives will be solid state holographic crystal devices
>> and we will drive flying cars.
>
> You forgot: programs will know in advance when you want to run them
> and the results will be waiting for you whenever you sit down at your
> computer. In fact, they'll be so fast that they finish before they
> start.

Damn! Gaming's gonna suck in the 21st century!

>> Oh, and Generalissimo Francisco Franco will still be dead.
>
> LOL!
>
> (First post here, proud owner of an HP Pavilion a850e with an Athlon
> 64 3400+, and somewhat wishing I'd read this newgroup before I
> ordered, but happy with my new machine, "Speedy", anyway, especially
> in comparison to the P2 400MHz it replaced).

Nice upgrade. That's the upside of not upgrading every year or two. You
can actually feel the difference.

Dracir Venostos
January 20th 05, 05:24 AM
"Mitch Crane" > wrote in message
. 1.4...
> "TripleEight" > wrote in
> :
>
>> Everyone take a gamble! :)
>>
>> I say in 2007 January.
>
> Correct. And it will be a 1361-bit processor. Your video card will be the
> size of a small RV and will require a dedicated 3 phase power input. Hard
> drives will be solid state holographic crystal devices and

> we will drive flying cars.

Now that would be a nightmare, given that a fair percentage of people can't
drive on land, let alone in the air. It'll never happen.

DougH
January 20th 05, 08:55 AM
> > we will drive flying cars.
>
> Now that would be a nightmare, given that a fair percentage of people
can't
> drive on land, let alone in the air. It'll never happen.

I can see it happening. It will just be a special license qualification
like they have for a bus or an 18 wheeler. There will be those duffasses
that have to remain on land and then there will be us flying high above the
traffic jam.

DougH

Ed Koan
January 20th 05, 01:03 PM
Carlo Razzeto wrote:

> Quantum Computers are the wave of the future
Yes. In SF b-movies.

Roy Coorne
January 20th 05, 02:35 PM
Susan Sontag in Hell wrote:
> Next Tuesday.

At 6:00 p.m. GMT

Carlo Razzeto
January 21st 05, 04:34 AM
"Ed Koan" > wrote in message
> Carlo Razzeto wrote:
>>
>> Quantum Computers are the wave of the future
> Yes. In SF b-movies.

Carlo Razzeto
January 21st 05, 04:34 AM
"Ed Koan" > wrote in message
> Carlo Razzeto wrote:
>>
>> Quantum Computers are the wave of the future
> Yes. In SF b-movies.

You are way off... You have no idea!

http://www.almaden.ibm.com/st/quantum_information/qcom/nmr/

Carlo

Jerry McBride
January 21st 05, 05:38 AM
Wes Newell wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 16:14:25 +0000, TripleEight wrote:
>
>> Everyone take a gamble! :)
>>
>> I say in 2007 January.
>
> I'l say 2010, but I really think it'll be a lot longer than that. Wonder
> why both amd an iintel are working on dual core cpu's.:-)

Right you are Wes. That's where it will be. Instead of faster and faster
clocks, it'll b more and more cpus' per chip. I wouldn't be surprised if
you begin to see "on chip system memory".

--

************************************************** ****************************
Registered Linux User Number 185956

Ed Koan
January 21st 05, 08:57 PM
Carlo Razzeto wrote:
> "Ed Koan" > wrote in message
>
>>Carlo Razzeto wrote:
>>
>>>Quantum Computers are the wave of the future
>>
>>Yes. In SF b-movies.
>

> You are way off... You have no idea!

You don't have the sligthest notion of the real problems associated to
this pseudoscienze.

Come back when you'll store 1kqubit in real atoms.
Yes, somewhere around 3420...

Lachoneus
January 22nd 05, 05:39 PM
> Correct. And it will be a 1361-bit processor. Your video card will be the
> size of a small RV and will require a dedicated 3 phase power input. Hard
> drives will be solid state holographic crystal devices and we will drive
> flying cars.

We'll also have to "activate" our eyeballs in order to see the picture
on our 2000" TV screens. You know, to prevent freeloaders with
telescopes from pirating the signal.

Randy Howard
January 23rd 05, 01:41 PM
In article >, says...
> Everyone take a gamble! :)
>
> I say in 2007 January.

Google for dual core CPUs.

--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)

Paul Busby
January 23rd 05, 03:30 PM
Thus spake Carlo Razzeto:
> Quantum Computers are the wave of the future
>
> http://www.qubit.org/library/intros/comp/comp.html

Yes, it's an interesting article that neatly explains the /theory/ of qubits
& coherence but it just strikes me that the time to develop a quantum
computer is itself exponential!

--
Thank people in advance? Thanking or cursing them afterwards at least
gives some feedback!

Randy Howard
January 23rd 05, 11:06 PM
In article >, says...
> > > we will drive flying cars.
> >
> > Now that would be a nightmare, given that a fair percentage of people
> can't
> > drive on land, let alone in the air. It'll never happen.
> >

> I can see it happening. It will just be a special license qualification
> like they have for a bus or an 18 wheeler. There will be those duffasses
> that have to remain on land and then there will be us flying high above the
> traffic jam.

If it is that easy to guess, I'll refuse to drive or travel in one. There
more than enough morons that can't navigate in 2-D, much less 3.

--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)