PDA

View Full Version : Athlon64 headless/Turion/PCIE

January 17th 05, 01:27 AM
Hi

I want to build a system that can boot in to one of the NIXes without a
keyboard/mouse/video card the big problem is I don't want to buy a
server board and I am not shelling out $350US for a PC Weasel, the
board I was looking at is the Abit AX8, I could possibly just put a
cheap PCI video card in there, anyone got any ideas?

Also anyone have any idea what socket the new Turion will use?

Finally anyone know if I could use a non video card in the PCIx16 slot
on this mobo?

Regards
Richard

Wes Newell
January 17th 05, 01:28 PM
On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 16:27:27 -0800, richie.thornton wrote:

> I want to build a system that can boot in to one of the NIXes without a
> keyboard/mouse/video card the big problem is I don't want to buy a
> server board and I am not shelling out $350US for a PC Weasel, the board
> I was looking at is the Abit AX8, I could possibly just put a cheap PCI
> video card in there, anyone got any ideas?

Without a mouse and keyboard is easy. Not sure about video card though.
You caould try setting the award bios Halt on Error from All to none and
se how that works. Mouse shoudn't matter one way or the other.

> Also anyone have any idea what socket the new Turion will use?

Never heard of it.

> Finally anyone know if I could use a non video card in the PCIx16 slot
> on this mobo?

If you mean like a 1x card, I think so, but don't take that for granted.

January 17th 05, 03:20 PM
On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 12:28:17 GMT, Wes Newell
> wrote:

>On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 16:27:27 -0800, richie.thornton wrote:

>> I want to build a system that can boot in to one of the NIXes without a
>> keyboard/mouse/video card the big problem is I don't want to buy a
>> server board and I am not shelling out $350US for a PC Weasel, the board
>> I was looking at is the Abit AX8, I could possibly just put a cheap PCI
>> video card in there, anyone got any ideas?

>Without a mouse and keyboard is easy. Not sure about video card though.
>You caould try setting the award bios Halt on Error from All to none and
>se how that works. Mouse shoudn't matter one way or the other.

>> Also anyone have any idea what socket the new Turion will use?

>Never heard of it.

AMD Notebook spec CPU, due about Xmas if then even. Head to head with
Intel's Centrino I assume.

>> Finally anyone know if I could use a non video card in the PCIx16 slot
>> on this mobo?

>If you mean like a 1x card, I think so, but don't take that for granted.
BoroLad

January 18th 05, 10:03 AM
Has anyone seen a really inexpensive, low heat PCI graphics card to use
in a headless system or even a "dummy" card that pretends it is a video
card?

Wes Newell
January 18th 05, 10:33 AM
On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 01:03:25 -0800, richie.thornton wrote:

> Has anyone seen a really inexpensive, low heat PCI graphics card to use
> in a headless system or even a "dummy" card that pretends it is a video
> card?

Guess that depends on what you call inexpensive. Found new ones for $16
with free shipping in a couple of minutes.

Yousuf Khan
January 19th 05, 01:53 AM
Why not just use a motherboard with an integrated video card?
Yousuf Khan