PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft offers Windows XP Pro 64 bit version as free download.

George Harrison
January 11th 05, 05:26 AM
I recently upgraded my motherboard to Asus K8N-E
and an AMD Athlon 64 3000 processor. Microsoft is offering their XP-PRO
64 bit version as a free Preview download.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/upgrade.mspx

I created my Install CD this morning.

However, I am still trying to install it.

Bonj
January 11th 05, 09:22 AM
I have installed Windows XP 64 and it is *poor*!

I've encountered the following problems with it:
* Refuses to do the network setup wizard
* Refuses to to the Windows Update site (launches a 32-bit browser which
then bombs with error message)
* Refuses to do the SDK Update site (hangs for ever)
* Refuses to even install any Platform SDK other than .NET one, as the Core
PSDK is only for Intel IA-64s (the setup.exe immediately shells the
setup64.exe which then claims wrong architecture)
* Spurious 'blank' icon in Control Panel

I'm now only using it for the purposes of downloading linux.

"George Harrison" > wrote in message
> I recently upgraded my motherboard to Asus K8N-E
> and an AMD Athlon 64 3000 processor. Microsoft is offering their XP-PRO
> 64 bit version as a free Preview download.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/upgrade.mspx
>
> I created my Install CD this morning.
>
> However, I am still trying to install it.

DougH
January 12th 05, 11:49 AM
It is a BETA you know. Besides the aspects you mentioned it also does not
load joystick drivers. I wanted to test Flight Sim 2004 on it but without
the joystick it's not much fun. I recently upgraded to the ASUS A8N-SLI
Deluxe with a 3500+ and found what they have so far very nice and stable.

DougH

"Bonj" > wrote in message ...
> I have installed Windows XP 64 and it is *poor*!
>
> I've encountered the following problems with it:
> * Refuses to do the network setup wizard
> * Refuses to to the Windows Update site (launches a 32-bit browser which
> then bombs with error message)
> * Refuses to do the SDK Update site (hangs for ever)
> * Refuses to even install any Platform SDK other than .NET one, as the
Core
> PSDK is only for Intel IA-64s (the setup.exe immediately shells the
> setup64.exe which then claims wrong architecture)
> * Spurious 'blank' icon in Control Panel
>
> I'm now only using it for the purposes of downloading linux.
>

> "George Harrison" > wrote in message
> > I recently upgraded my motherboard to Asus K8N-E
> > and an AMD Athlon 64 3000 processor. Microsoft is offering their XP-PRO
> > 64 bit version as a free Preview download.
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/upgrade.mspx
> >
> > I created my Install CD this morning.
> >
> > However, I am still trying to install it.

DougH
January 12th 05, 12:24 PM
Windows XP 64 is very stable on my machine I meant to say. Just wish it had
those joystick drivers otherwise I wouldn't have replaced it with regular
windows xp.

DougH