PDA

View Full Version : AMD 64 Heat sink

BF
January 9th 05, 03:22 AM
I would like some input as to what you people think the best heat sink
and fan are for AMD64- 3500+?

Thanks

Bob Knowlden
January 9th 05, 03:34 AM
http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/main_product_xp120.htm

Positives:

relatively light (approx. 370 g, without fan)

uses a 120 mm fan for the least noise for a given air flow

fan provides cooling for mainboard chipset, RAM

heat pipes work with mainboard horizontal or vertical

Negatives:

huge, may be incompatible with some mainboards (see list)

most easily installed with mainboard not in case (spring clips)

some 120 mm fans incompatible with mounting scheme, unless fan is
modified

Perhaps the XP-90 would be a saner choice.

HTH.

Bob Knowlden

"BF" > wrote in message
>I would like some input as to what you people think the best heat sink and
>fan are for AMD64- 3500+?
>
> Thanks

Al Dykes
January 9th 05, 03:38 AM
In article >,
Bob Knowlden > wrote:
>http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/main_product_xp120.htm
>
>Positives:
>
> relatively light (approx. 370 g, without fan)
>
> uses a 120 mm fan for the least noise for a given air flow
>
> fan provides cooling for mainboard chipset, RAM
>
> heat pipes work with mainboard horizontal or vertical
>
>Negatives:
>
> huge, may be incompatible with some mainboards (see list)
>
> most easily installed with mainboard not in case (spring clips)
>
> some 120 mm fans incompatible with mounting scheme, unless fan is
>modified
>
>Perhaps the XP-90 would be a saner choice.
>
>HTH.
>
>Bob Knowlden
>
>Address may be scrambled. Replace nkbob with bobkn.
>
>"BF" > wrote in message
>>I would like some input as to what you people think the best heat sink and
>>fan are for AMD64- 3500+?
>>
>> Thanks

I bet the HSF that comes with the retail AMD64 does just fine
unless you're overclocking.

--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

Bob Knowlden
January 9th 05, 03:56 AM
I agree.

It has the additional advantage of avoiding any warranty issues.

However, I presumed that the OP was asking after something cooler (in at
least two senses of the word).

Top posting - a way of life.

"Al Dykes" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Bob Knowlden > wrote:
>>http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/main_product_xp120.htm

(snip)

>>"BF" > wrote in message
>>>I would like some input as to what you people think the best heat sink
>>>and
>>>fan are for AMD64- 3500+?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>

> I bet the HSF that comes with the retail AMD64 does just fine
> unless you're overclocking.
>
> --
>
> a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
>
> Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

Wes Newell
January 9th 05, 06:38 AM
On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 21:38:20 -0500, Al Dykes wrote:

> I bet the HSF that comes with the retail AMD64 does just fine unless
> you're overclocking.

It even works fine overclocking too. The HS itself is very good, and if
you really need more cooling or want it quieter, then the very small
70x15mm 21cfm fan can be replaced with an 80x25mm fan that delivers a lot
more air at the same noise level.

Sept1967
January 9th 05, 06:51 PM
If the stock HS/fan unit has a copper core. It is probably just fine in a
case with good air flow.
Personally, I havent used a stock aluminum heatsink, since early SocketA
days. Just wont again.

I go with-

1) Zalman 7000a AlCu for motherboards that you can remove the backplate on ,
must install while motherboard is out of the case - Cooler works fantastic,
and is silent on lowest settings - includes fan speed adjustment
1400rpm-2800rpm.
{ $30 plus, Pricewatch, or Fry's }
Can be used on P4, A64, or Socket A boards.
-or-
2) ThermalTake Silent Boost K8 (Copper) for motherboards you want to use the
stock retention bracket. Very easy toolless install system, very quiet,
works great.
{ $24.00 shipped from Ajump.com , or other places from Pricewatch}

Use any Artic Silver , not included pad or silicon paste.

"BF" > wrote in message
>I would like some input as to what you people think the best heat sink and
>fan are for AMD64- 3500+?
>
> Thanks

Harvo
January 10th 05, 07:18 PM
got me a winnie 3500+ retail stock cooler, msi k8n neo 2 plat 1 gb pc 4000
ballistix 2.8v, HTT 4x running 11.x 230 = 2530
cpu vid 1.5 + 5%..... :)
waiting for xp 90 and vantec 92mm fan and ys tech fan 92mm to see how they
compare