PDA

View Full Version : AMD 64 3400+

jrbareta
January 5th 05, 10:08 PM
I am going to purchase a 3400+ processor and notice that there are two
boxed versions. One has 512k cache and the other has 1M cache. Which might
be the better one to buy in reguard to things like differences such as heat
generated etc. ?
Thnaks for any information.

General Schvantzkoph
January 5th 05, 11:32 PM
On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 15:08:33 -0600, jrbareta wrote:

> I am going to purchase a 3400+ processor and notice that there are two
> boxed versions. One has 512k cache and the other has 1M cache. Which might
> be the better one to buy in reguard to things like differences such as heat
> generated etc. ?
> Thnaks for any information.

One is a 754 pin part (the 1M cache version) and one is the 939 pin part
(the 1/2M version). If you get a 939 pin part get the 3500+ not the 3400+.
It appears that the 3400+ are fall outs from some sort of process problem.
The only difference between the 3400+ 939 and the 3500+ 939 is the speed
of the hypertransport bus, the 3400+ is slower. You won't see any
performance differences between the two but the 3400+ has less timing
margin then the 3500+.

jrbareta
January 6th 05, 12:01 AM
From what I seen on web sites the 3400+ is listed as a 754 pin processor
that comes in either a 512k or 1m cache version. Am I missing something?

General Schvantzkoph
January 6th 05, 12:13 AM
On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 17:01:34 -0600, jrbareta wrote:

> From what I seen on web sites the 3400+ is listed as a 754 pin processor
> that comes in either a 512k or 1m cache version. Am I missing something?

Newegg is showing a 939 pin 3400+. There is another thread about it in
this newsgroup.

Mitch Crane
January 6th 05, 12:51 AM
General Schvantzkoph > wrote in
:

> On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 17:01:34 -0600, jrbareta wrote:
>
>> From what I seen on web sites the 3400+ is listed as a 754 pin
>> processor
>> that comes in either a 512k or 1m cache version. Am I missing
>> something?
>
> Newegg is showing a 939 pin 3400+. There is another thread about it in
> this newsgroup.

Look for the subject "Components for a new 64-bit system ???".

black_sheep
January 6th 05, 02:04 AM
On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 17:32:30 -0500, General Schvantzkoph
> wrote:

>On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 15:08:33 -0600, jrbareta wrote:
>
>> I am going to purchase a 3400+ processor and notice that there are two
>> boxed versions. One has 512k cache and the other has 1M cache. Which might
>> be the better one to buy in reguard to things like differences such as heat
>> generated etc. ?
>> Thnaks for any information.
>
>One is a 754 pin part (the 1M cache version) and one is the 939 pin part
>(the 1/2M version). If you get a 939 pin part get the 3500+ not the 3400+.
>It appears that the 3400+ are fall outs from some sort of process problem.
>The only difference between the 3400+ 939 and the 3500+ 939 is the speed
>of the hypertransport bus, the 3400+ is slower. You won't see any
>performance differences between the two but the 3400+ has less timing
>margin then the 3500+.

Actually, the amd64 cpu's work pretty good whether they're 1meg or
1/2meg, single channel or dual channel due to the on chip memory
controller.

I strongly recommend buying whatever's cheaper, or suits your fancy
depending on your financial situation.

It really doesn't matter that much.

jacoby
January 6th 05, 02:20 AM
The 3500+ Winchester will generate less heat.

"jrbareta" > wrote in message
> I am going to purchase a 3400+ processor and notice that there are two
> boxed versions. One has 512k cache and the other has 1M cache. Which might
> be the better one to buy in reguard to things like differences such as
heat
> generated etc. ?
> Thnaks for any information.

Wes Newell
January 6th 05, 06:13 AM
On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 15:08:33 -0600, jrbareta wrote:

> I am going to purchase a 3400+ processor and notice that there are two
> boxed versions. One has 512k cache and the other has 1M cache. Which might
> be the better one to buy in reguard to things like differences such as
> heat generated etc. ?

The newer cores will generate less heat. Will overclock better, and should
be the one you buy, if possible. the one with 1M cache will also be
clocked slower than the one with 521K cache. i'm pretty sure all the newer
cores have 512K until you get to the 4000+, which is just a 3800+ with 1M
cache. More cache is good, dual channel is good (well, OK), but neither
provides performance anywhere close to raw clock speed. So if you don't
plan on overclocking, get the one with the fastest clock.

Nicholas Buenk
January 7th 05, 06:11 PM
"jrbareta" > wrote in message
> I am going to purchase a 3400+ processor and notice that there are two
> boxed versions. One has 512k cache and the other has 1M cache. Which might
> be the better one to buy in reguard to things like differences such as
> heat generated etc. ?
> Thnaks for any information.

The 512k cache one is better bang for buck, generally mhz is more useful
than ram bandwidth or cache size. The 512k one actually performs almost the
same as the 3700+.