PDA

View Full Version : Pets inside a computer

Bonj
January 3rd 05, 07:26 PM
Maybe slightly O.T., but...
Just expanding on the idea of watercooled pipe systems for computers, how
about rotastack tubes for things like gerbils? I was wondering if anyone
knows of a good source of cheap, oversized cases that might facilitate such
a thing.
I was also thinking I might have a couple of stick insects crawling over the
motherboard, keeping it dust-free by eating tiny mites, bacteria particles
etc.
Comments on viability?
You may think slightly ridiculous, but it's not like I'd be going so far as
having a couple of dogs in there - just small animals.

Iain Dingsdale
January 3rd 05, 08:15 PM
"Bonj" > wrote in message ...
> Maybe slightly O.T., but...
> Just expanding on the idea of watercooled pipe systems for computers, how
> about rotastack tubes for things like gerbils? I was wondering if anyone
> knows of a good source of cheap, oversized cases that might facilitate
> such a thing.
> I was also thinking I might have a couple of stick insects crawling over
> the motherboard, keeping it dust-free by eating tiny mites, bacteria
> particles etc.
> Comments on viability?

Probably quite viable until one crawls into your cpu fan

> You may think slightly ridiculous, but it's not like I'd be going so far
> as having a couple of dogs in there - just small animals.

General Schvantzkoph
January 3rd 05, 09:18 PM
On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 13:55:50 -0600, Ed wrote:

>ng a couple of dogs in there - just small animals.
>>

> Brings a whole new meaning to the phase....
> Agggghhh damn this PC is full of bugs!
> :)
> Ed

What do you mean new meaning? The term bug was coined by Grace Hopper in
1945 when she found a moth inside of the Harvard Mark II. Here is a link
to reference,

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/pers-us/uspers-h/g-hoppr.htm

Bonj
January 3rd 05, 10:31 PM
When it does, there'd probably be a nice mottled red mural effect on the
interior window.

"Iain Dingsdale" > wrote in message

> "Bonj" > wrote in message ...
>> Maybe slightly O.T., but...
>> Just expanding on the idea of watercooled pipe systems for computers, how
>> about rotastack tubes for things like gerbils? I was wondering if anyone
>> knows of a good source of cheap, oversized cases that might facilitate
>> such a thing.
>> I was also thinking I might have a couple of stick insects crawling over
>> the motherboard, keeping it dust-free by eating tiny mites, bacteria
>> particles etc.
>> Comments on viability?
>
> Probably quite viable until one crawls into your cpu fan
>
>> You may think slightly ridiculous, but it's not like I'd be going so far
>> as having a couple of dogs in there - just small animals.

Mitch Crane
January 4th 05, 01:52 AM
"Bonj" > wrote in :

> You may think slightly ridiculous, but it's not like I'd be going so
> far as having a couple of dogs in there - just small animals.

Excuse me for taking offense, but my dogs happen to love it in there.

Mitch Crane
January 4th 05, 01:55 AM
Ed > wrote in news:[email protected]
4ax.com:

> ya, but when's the last time you said "this PC has a bug" and were
> talking about insects. :)

Last summer. Mine was full of fleas (actual true story, totally unrelated
to my previous lie about having dogs in my PC).

Ed Light
January 4th 05, 04:56 AM
Not a good idea. They'll be totally irradiated. Test with a portable radio
tuned to one end of the AM dial, with the volume all the way up. When you
get close enough to get static, that's as close as you want to get.

Darn mice (pointing device kind) will produce static.
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Roger Swearingen
January 4th 05, 11:24 PM
"Bonj" > wrote in message ...
> Maybe slightly O.T., but...
> Just expanding on the idea of watercooled pipe systems for computers, how
> about rotastack tubes for things like gerbils? I was wondering if anyone
> knows of a good source of cheap, oversized cases that might facilitate
> such a thing.
> I was also thinking I might have a couple of stick insects crawling over
> the motherboard, keeping it dust-free by eating tiny mites, bacteria
> particles etc.
> Comments on viability?
> You may think slightly ridiculous, but it's not like I'd be going so far
> as having a couple of dogs in there - just small animals.
You can buy them, check it out:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml

Bonj
January 5th 05, 12:23 AM
That's COOL!

"Roger Swearingen" > wrote in message
> "Bonj" > wrote in message ...
>> Maybe slightly O.T., but...
>> Just expanding on the idea of watercooled pipe systems for computers, how
>> about rotastack tubes for things like gerbils? I was wondering if anyone
>> knows of a good source of cheap, oversized cases that might facilitate
>> such a thing.
>> I was also thinking I might have a couple of stick insects crawling over
>> the motherboard, keeping it dust-free by eating tiny mites, bacteria
>> particles etc.
>> Comments on viability?
>> You may think slightly ridiculous, but it's not like I'd be going so far
>> as having a couple of dogs in there - just small animals.
> You can buy them, check it out:
> http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml

Portable Splat Graphics
January 5th 05, 01:49 AM
I have spiders that get into mine... I have to clean them out every 2-3
months. a pain really...

CS

"Mitch Crane" -three> wrote in message
.95...
> Ed > wrote in news:[email protected]
> 4ax.com:
>
> > ya, but when's the last time you said "this PC has a bug" and were
> > talking about insects. :)
>
> Last summer. Mine was full of fleas (actual true story, totally unrelated
> to my previous lie about having dogs in my PC).

Bonj
January 6th 05, 01:16 AM
I would think cooking a creme brulee inside a computer wouldn't do it much
good, due to the heat factor.
It's a nice idea though.

"Portable Splat Graphics" > wrote in
message ...