PDA

View Full Version : motherboard recommendation

MSB67
January 3rd 05, 04:55 AM
I'm in the market for a 64-bit upgrade.

I plan to purchase a Athlon 3400 64-bit and need some help on the chip set
and motherboard.

In the past, I was an nForce2 fan. However, it appears VIA has a good
alternative.

I've boiled the decision down to an nForce3 Ultra and VIA K8T800 Pro. I'm
not considering an nForce4 at this time.

I've got two motherboards in mind: an ASUS A8V Deluxe and an MSI K8N Neo2
Platinum (MS-7025).

Any suggestions? I'm looking for the best performance board.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Hawkeye
January 3rd 05, 05:34 AM
After looking into the same boards it wasnoted in NG that the MSI
board you mention has a habit of loosing its USB ports. A8V has been
solid

--
ASUS A8V/Athlon 64 3500
ATI RADEON X800XT PE

anthony
January 3rd 05, 07:44 AM
wait 2 months get a pci express mothearboard be ready for all future
upgrades life is good lol

"MSB67" > wrote in message
> I'm in the market for a 64-bit upgrade.
>
> I plan to purchase a Athlon 3400 64-bit and need some help on the chip set
> and motherboard.
>
> In the past, I was an nForce2 fan. However, it appears VIA has a good
> alternative.
>
> I've boiled the decision down to an nForce3 Ultra and VIA K8T800 Pro. I'm
> not considering an nForce4 at this time.
>
> I've got two motherboards in mind: an ASUS A8V Deluxe and an MSI K8N Neo2
> Platinum (MS-7025).
>
> Any suggestions? I'm looking for the best performance board.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Mike

Mitch Crane
January 3rd 05, 07:49 AM
"MSB67" > wrote in
:

> I've got two motherboards in mind: an ASUS A8V Deluxe and an MSI K8N
> Neo2 Platinum (MS-7025).
>
> Any suggestions? I'm looking for the best performance board.

I believe the Neo2 Platinum is the better performing of the two, though
I doubt that the difference is great. I have a Neo2 Platinum and haven't
had any serious problems with it. I have read of ps2 port issues with
the Neo2 Platinum. Mine didn't like one of my older optical drives, but
that's the only problem I've seen, myself. Mine is happily running with
a 3200+ OCed to 2500MHz and I don't regret a thing... yet.

Mike
January 5th 05, 05:55 AM
After a lot of research, I confer. The MSI Neo2 board looks like a winner.
I'll know for sure in about two days when it and my Athlon 64 3400 (939)
arrive.

Thanks for all of the help.

Mike

.95...