PDA

View Full Version : XP or XP 64 bit

chris
December 31st 04, 09:36 AM
the amd64 bit processors will run windows XP, will it run a lot faster with
win XP 64 bit version

what would the comparison in speed be ???

thanks

Iain Dingsdale
December 31st 04, 12:23 PM
"chris" > wrote in message
> the amd64 bit processors will run windows XP, will it run a lot faster
> with win XP 64 bit version
>
> what would the comparison in speed be ???

significant, but xp 64 bit is still in beta

> thanks

chris
December 31st 04, 03:10 PM
the other thing is how stable is the beta at this point and if i installed
the beta would it expire ???
"Iain Dingsdale" > wrote in message

> "chris" > wrote in message
>> the amd64 bit processors will run windows XP, will it run a lot faster
>> with win XP 64 bit version
>>
>> what would the comparison in speed be ???
>
> significant, but xp 64 bit is still in beta
>

>> thanks

Iain Dingsdale
December 31st 04, 05:37 PM
"chris" > wrote in message
> the other thing is how stable is the beta at this point and if i installed
> the beta would it expire ???

havent tried it personally but from what i've read, the answer is not very.
it does expire after 360 days

> "Iain Dingsdale" > wrote in message
>>
>> "chris" > wrote in message
>>> the amd64 bit processors will run windows XP, will it run a lot faster
>>> with win XP 64 bit version
>>>
>>> what would the comparison in speed be ???
>>
>> significant, but xp 64 bit is still in beta
>>

>>> thanks

Dee
December 31st 04, 09:39 PM
chris wrote:
> the other thing is how stable is the beta at this point and if i installed
> the beta would it expire ???
> "Iain Dingsdale" > wrote in message
>
>>"chris" > wrote in message
>>
>>>the amd64 bit processors will run windows XP, will it run a lot faster
>>>with win XP 64 bit version
>>>
>>>what would the comparison in speed be ???
>>
>>significant, but xp 64 bit is still in beta
>>

>>>thanks

According to the people that participate in the x64 newsgroup, Windows
XP Professional x64 is very stable. And I have had it running on my
system since last March and have never had a problem with stability.

The major problem at this time is the hardware drivers. 32 bit drivers
will not work and some hardware manufacturers & distributors are
reluctant to put out Beat drivers. Others do well.

The Customer Preview Program (CPP) expires after 360 days. A new CPP
version is supposed to be available within the next couple of weeks and
the final version is expected around the April - May time frame.

Wes Newell
December 31st 04, 09:41 PM
On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 16:37:56 +0000, Iain Dingsdale wrote:

> "chris" > wrote in message
>> the other thing is how stable is the beta at this point and if i
>> installed the beta would it expire ???
>
> havent tried it personally but from what i've read, the answer is not
> very. it does expire after 360 days

IOW's, they're going to suck you into using it for free for a while and
then put the screws to you. I've upgraded my OS 6 times now they've
stuck me with hmmm..... nothing. Linux, and 64 bit too if you want it.:-)

Ed Light
December 31st 04, 11:44 PM
Isn't win xp 64 supposed to be a free upgrade to win xp 32?

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Aerticulean Effort
December 31st 04, 11:55 PM
Ed Light wrote:
> Isn't win xp 64 supposed to be a free upgrade to win xp 32?

Only in dreamland

XP 64 bit requires hardware architecture that -erm- supports 64 bit
processing

XP 32 bit requires hardware that does -erm- 32 bit processing

This should be clear - let me know if it isn't

Aerticeus'

Dee
January 1st 05, 12:14 AM
Ed Light wrote:
> Isn't win xp 64 supposed to be a free upgrade to win xp 32?

Maybe in your wildest dreams! Microsoft has publicly stated that OEM
providers "may" upgrade a 32 bit Windows XP Professional to 64 bit
Windows XP Professional x64. That is strictly up to the OEM provider!!!

Najum Hussain
January 1st 05, 10:41 PM
chris wrote:
> the amd64 bit processors will run windows XP, will it run a lot faster with
> win XP 64 bit version
>
> what would the comparison in speed be ???
>

> thanks

Hmmmmm not sure need to find someone whos got it. Thing is with XP 64 is
the lack of 100% for gaming.

NJ