PDA

View Full Version : Mother boards and DDR RAM?

Richard Miller
December 24th 04, 02:45 PM
I bought a 64 bit AMD 3200 which is a nice CPU. However I also bought a
piece of crap motherboard and RAM and I ended taking everything back. I did
however buy a really nice case with a 420 watt power supply. Now if I want
to build a nice computer what type of motherboard and PC DDR 3200 memory
would you suggest?

Richard

General Schvantzkoph
December 24th 04, 03:22 PM
On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 06:45:42 -0700, Richard Miller wrote:

> I bought a 64 bit AMD 3200 which is a nice CPU. However I also bought a
> piece of crap motherboard and RAM and I ended taking everything back. I did
> however buy a really nice case with a 420 watt power supply. Now if I want
> to build a nice computer what type of motherboard and PC DDR 3200 memory
> would you suggest?
>
> Richard

For RAM use Crucial. Which motherboard did you buy? The top rated board
for the 939 pin Athlon 64 is the MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum.

Mitch Crane
December 24th 04, 05:42 PM
Richard Miller wrote:
> I bought a 64 bit AMD 3200 which is a nice CPU. However I also bought a
> piece of crap motherboard and RAM and I ended taking everything back. I did
> however buy a really nice case with a 420 watt power supply. Now if I want
> to build a nice computer what type of motherboard and PC DDR 3200 memory
> would you suggest?

DDR 3200 memory would you suggest?

I recently put together a new A64 3200+ with an MSI Neo2 Platinum.

If you don't want to OC the RAM too much the Patriot/PDP dual channel RAM
kit PDC1G3200LLK is very good and cheap (it's what I'm using).

Here's the RAM:
http://www.outpost.com/product/3955668/
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-220-006
&depa=1

@ 200 MHz it runs at 2.0-3-2-5

I'm overclocked, running the CPU @ 2500MHz and the RAM @ 208 (which
required me to set it to 2.5-3-2-5 at the stock voltage. I haven't tried
pushing the voltage one the RAM).

Wes Newell
December 24th 04, 10:03 PM
On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 06:45:42 -0700, Richard Miller wrote:

> I bought a 64 bit AMD 3200 which is a nice CPU. However I also bought a
> piece of crap motherboard and RAM and I ended taking everything back. I did
> however buy a really nice case with a 420 watt power supply. Now if I want
> to build a nice computer what type of motherboard and PC DDR 3200 memory
> would you suggest?

MB, take your pick of any of the newer chipsets with a PCI lock if you
plan on overclocking. Ram, get PC4000, not PC 3200.