PDA

View Full Version : Re: Cool 'n Quite

General Schvantzkoph
December 19th 04, 11:15 PM
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 22:59:31 +0100, Bert wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I looked what Cool 'n Quite is doing on a Asus A8V with an AMD64 3500+ with
> software from www.amd.com called "Powernow! Dashboard".
>
> The processor seems to have only three states:
>
> 1) Idle : Voltage 1,1 V - Speed 42%
> 2) Average : Voltage 1,3 V - Speed 82%
> 3) High load : Voltage 1,5 V - Speed 100%
>
> Nothing in between, always one of those values.
>
> Is that what Cool 'n Quite is about?
>
> Bert

The CPU speed can be set in 2 MHz increments. My 3400+ goes from 800MHz to
2.2GHz. Setting the explicit clock speed requires the userspace governor
be compiled into the kernel. Changing the clock speed is done by writing
the speed into scaling_setspeed file.

echo Clock speed 2.2GHz
echo userspace > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
echo 2200000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed

Dee
December 20th 04, 12:46 AM
Bert wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 17:15:35 -0500, General Schvantzkoph
> > wrote:
>

>>The CPU speed can be set in 2 MHz increments. My 3400+ goes from 800MHz to
>>2.2GHz. Setting the explicit clock speed requires the userspace governor
>>be compiled into the kernel. Changing the clock speed is done by writing
>>the speed into scaling_setspeed file.
>>
>>echo Clock speed 2.2GHz
>>echo userspace > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
>>echo 2200000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed
>

> Thanx. And now a similar solution for Windows XP?
>
> Bert

The solution for XP has existed for quite a while. I'm using it on my
MSI K8T Neo right now, and have been for almost a year!

So what exactly do you want?

Dee
December 20th 04, 01:17 AM
Bert wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 18:46:42 -0500, Dee > wrote:
>

>>The solution for XP has existed for quite a while. I'm using it on my
>>MSI K8T Neo right now, and have been for almost a year!
>>
>>So what exactly do you want?
>

> Errrrrrrrrrr.... The solution?
>

> Bert

The solution to what????

Dee
December 20th 04, 01:25 AM
Bert wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 18:46:42 -0500, Dee > wrote:
>

>>The solution for XP has existed for quite a while. I'm using it on my
>>MSI K8T Neo right now, and have been for almost a year!
>>
>>So what exactly do you want?
>

> Errrrrrrrrrr.... The solution?
>

> Bert

If you're saying you don't have it currently running on your motherboard
and want to know how to do it, my response is R.T.F.M. (Read the
Friggin' Manual)!!!

The answer is on page 5-34. Is this another case of someone either too
lazy, or too stupid, to figure out how to do things themselves and want
someone to hold their hand all the time???

Ed Light
December 20th 04, 01:39 AM
"Dee" > wrote
> The answer is on page 5-34. Is this another case of someone either too
> lazy, or too stupid, to figure out how to do things themselves and want
> someone to hold their hand all the time???

You can't hold mine.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

General Schvantzkoph
December 20th 04, 02:02 AM
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 23:27:19 +0100, Bert wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 17:15:35 -0500, General Schvantzkoph
> > wrote:
>

>>The CPU speed can be set in 2 MHz increments. My 3400+ goes from 800MHz to
>>2.2GHz. Setting the explicit clock speed requires the userspace governor
>>be compiled into the kernel. Changing the clock speed is done by writing
>>the speed into scaling_setspeed file.
>>
>>echo Clock speed 2.2GHz
>>echo userspace > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
>>echo 2200000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed
>
> Thanx. And now a similar solution for Windows XP?
>
> Bert

XP doesn't give you the fine grade control that Linux does but it allows
you to switch between performance and power savings modes which is all
you really need to do. There is a power management control panel that
allows you to switch between various modes.

Wes Newell
December 20th 04, 11:39 AM
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 20:02:08 -0500, General Schvantzkoph wrote:

>> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 17:15:35 -0500, General Schvantzkoph
>> > wrote:
>>>
>>>The CPU speed can be set in 2 MHz increments. My 3400+ goes from 800MHz to
>>>2.2GHz. Setting the explicit clock speed requires the userspace governor
>>>be compiled into the kernel. Changing the clock speed is done by writing
>>>the speed into scaling_setspeed file.
>>>
>>>echo Clock speed 2.2GHz
>>>echo userspace > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
>>>echo 2200000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed
>
> XP doesn't give you the fine grade control that Linux does but it allows
> you to switch between performance and power savings modes which is all
> you really need to do. There is a power management control panel that
> allows you to switch between various modes.

How are you getting the clock speed to set in 2MHz increments. While I can
echo any value to scaling_setspeed, it only acts on valid values contained
in the scaling_available_frequencies file, which is limited to 3 speeds on
my system, and I don't see how the change could be less than 200Mhz for
each speed since it changes the multiplier and not the FSB speed There is
no error returned by the command, but nothing changes unless a valid value
is entered. i'd be interested in seeing just what is read from your bios.
In my dmesg;

powernow-k8: Found 1 AMD Athlon 64 / Opteron processors (version 1.00.09b)
powernow-k8: 0 : fid 0xc (2000 MHz), vid 0x2 (1500 mV)
powernow-k8: 1 : fid 0xa (1800 MHz), vid 0x6 (1400 mV)
powernow-k8: 2 : fid 0x0 (800 MHz), vid 0xa (1300 mV)
powernow-k8: cpu_init done, current fid 0xc, vid 0x2

General Schvantzkoph
December 20th 04, 03:07 PM
On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 10:39:08 +0000, Wes Newell wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 20:02:08 -0500, General Schvantzkoph wrote:
>
>>> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 17:15:35 -0500, General Schvantzkoph

>> XP doesn't give you the fine grade control that Linux does but it allows
>> you to switch between performance and power savings modes which is all
>> you really need to do. There is a power management control panel that
>> allows you to switch between various modes.
>
> How are you getting the clock speed to set in 2MHz increments. While I can
> echo any value to scaling_setspeed, it only acts on valid values contained
> in the scaling_available_frequencies file, which is limited to 3 speeds on
> my system, and I don't see how the change could be less than 200Mhz for
> each speed since it changes the multiplier and not the FSB speed There is
> no error returned by the command, but nothing changes unless a valid value
> is entered. i'd be interested in seeing just what is read from your bios.
> In my dmesg;
>
> powernow-k8: Found 1 AMD Athlon 64 / Opteron processors (version 1.00.09b)
> powernow-k8: 0 : fid 0xc (2000 MHz), vid 0x2 (1500 mV)
> powernow-k8: 1 : fid 0xa (1800 MHz), vid 0x6 (1400 mV)
> powernow-k8: 2 : fid 0x0 (800 MHz), vid 0xa (1300 mV)
> powernow-k8: cpu_init done, current fid 0xc, vid 0x2

Sorry I meant 200MHz increments, not 2Mhz. It's a function of my age that
I think in such small increments. Looking at the
scaling_available_frequencies file under 2.6.9 I see you are right, there
are only three frequencies, I seem to remember more under 2.6.8.1. but I'm
probably wrong. There really isn't any reason to use a lot of different
frequences, slow, med and fast is enough.

Dee
December 20th 04, 06:33 PM
Bert wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 20:02:08 -0500, General Schvantzkoph
> > wrote:
>

>>XP doesn't give you the fine grade control that Linux does but it allows
>>you to switch between performance and power savings modes which is all
>>you really need to do. There is a power management control panel that
>>allows you to switch between various modes.
>

> That is what my question was about.
> Under XP C&Q knows only three states and obviously can't be refined.
> That is no drama, just wanted to know.
>

> Thnx!
>
> Bert

The PowerNow Dashboard is not an implementation of Cool-n-Quiet. It's
just a display of what's going on. Using CoreCenter with a MSI board
displays the same info as Dashboard and there are definitely more than
three states. I can watch both the HT speed and the multiplier change,
depending on the load, and the resulting cpu frequency.

Dee
December 20th 04, 08:28 PM
Bert wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 12:33:40 -0500, Dee > wrote:
>

>>The PowerNow Dashboard is not an implementation of Cool-n-Quiet. It's
>>just a display of what's going on. Using CoreCenter with a MSI board
>>displays the same info as Dashboard and there are definitely more than
>>three states. I can watch both the HT speed and the multiplier change,
>>depending on the load, and the resulting cpu frequency.
>

> Makes me wonder what is really going on.
> Is it Powernow! Dashboard which can only show three states, or is
> C&Q better implemented on MSI boards? (I'm using an Asus A8V)
>
> Bert

I would think the Cool-n-Quiet should pretty much function the same on
all boards. I know that in 32-bit Windows XP you have to install the
amdk8.sys CPU driver, along with C-n-Q being enabled in the BIOS and the
Minimal Power Management setting, for the variable cpu, and cpu fan,
speed. Originally some of BIOSes did not have C-n-Q implemented.

I think I stated before that x64 has the appropriate cpu driver as part
of its base.

MSI indicates that the C-n-Q feature is also implemented on Intel boards.

Dee
December 20th 04, 10:43 PM
Ed wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 14:28:18 -0500, Dee > wrote:
> <snip>
>
>>MSI indicates that the C-n-Q feature is also implemented on Intel boards.
>

> Are the boards and CPUs out all ready?
>
> AMD 64's can change their CPU multiplier and vcore on the fly as power
> is needed when CnQ is enabled, last I read Intel was adding that feature
> to their desktop chips sometime in 2005.
>
> Ed

I can't verify that the Intel CPUs that support CnQ are out, but MSI
lists the CoreCenter utility for the Intel boards and states in the
description that it controls "according to system current loading and
need" which is what CnQ does.

tomb
December 21st 04, 06:14 AM
Noel wrote:
| On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 19:17:13 -0500, Dee > wrote:
|
|| The solution to what????
|
| Life, the universe and everything would be nice.

Well, you know it's 42.
However, I kinda forgot what the question was...