PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Which Dual Opteron Board To Use?

J. Hinkey
December 16th 04, 11:27 PM
I have narrowed down my motherboard options for a Dual Opteron linux
system to:

Tyan Thunder K8W S2885ANRF

Rioworks ARIMA HDAMC

(the place I want to buy it from does not offer the Tiger K8W board)

I'll be doing large floating point calculations. The Rioworks board is
$119 more than the Tyan. Any opinions as to which may be better (i.e.,
faster if at all) or why the Rioworks is worth the extra $$?

Thanks -

John Hinkey

John R Weiss
December 17th 04, 02:32 AM
"J. Hinkey" > wrote...
>I have narrowed down my motherboard options for a Dual Opteron linux system to:
>
> Tyan Thunder K8W S2885ANRF
> Rioworks ARIMA HDAMC
>
> I'll be doing large floating point calculations. The Rioworks board is $119
> more than the Tyan. Any opinions as to which may be better (i.e., faster if
> at all) or why the Rioworks is worth the extra $$?

I have the HDAMB board with a pair of 246s, and am very happy with it. It
appears the big differences are PCI (no PCI-X on the HDAMB), and different LAN
and SATA controllers. If you don't need the 64-bit PCI, you can save almost
$200...