PDA

View Full Version : CPU upgrade = slower?

Bishop
December 15th 04, 09:00 AM
Hi, i recently got a free upgrade of a amd 3200 64 90nm cpu from my normal
3000xp, and just as a tester i ran a 3dmark05 demo, i got 4400 before and
now i'm getting 4150~.
I've had to change the mobo, is some bios settings?

It's just kinda weird, this was a gradual upgrade, as i did have a 9700pro,
then went to a 6800gt, went from 2250~ to 4450~ with the 3000xp cpu. Then
when a bring in the faster cpu(and it's 64bit) it's about 250 or so points
down.
I know this program isnt the end all of everything, but i was just expecting
an increase.

I've got a 6800gt
3200 64 amd
1gig of RAM
and an msi neo2 plat

Any help appreciated, as i'm a bit confused here.

Hierophant
December 15th 04, 04:40 PM
"Bishop" > wrote in message

| Hi, i recently got a free upgrade of a amd 3200 64 90nm cpu from my normal
| 3000xp, and just as a tester i ran a 3dmark05 demo, i got 4400 before and
| now i'm getting 4150~.
| I've had to change the mobo, is some bios settings?
|
| It's just kinda weird, this was a gradual upgrade, as i did have a
9700pro,
| then went to a 6800gt, went from 2250~ to 4450~ with the 3000xp cpu. Then
| when a bring in the faster cpu(and it's 64bit) it's about 250 or so points
| down.
| I know this program isnt the end all of everything, but i was just
expecting
| an increase.
|
| I've got a 6800gt
| 3200 64 amd
| 1gig of RAM
| and an msi neo2 plat
|
| Any help appreciated, as i'm a bit confused here.

Do you have cool and quiet enabled on the processor? If so, the processor
throttling may be holding it back some.

papasurf
December 16th 04, 01:14 AM
"Bishop" > wrote in message

> Hi, i recently got a free upgrade of a amd 3200 64 90nm cpu from my normal
> 3000xp, and just as a tester i ran a 3dmark05 demo, i got 4400 before and
> now i'm getting 4150~.
> I've had to change the mobo, is some bios settings?
>
> It's just kinda weird, this was a gradual upgrade, as i did have a
> 9700pro,
> then went to a 6800gt, went from 2250~ to 4450~ with the 3000xp cpu. Then
> when a bring in the faster cpu(and it's 64bit) it's about 250 or so points
> down.
> I know this program isnt the end all of everything, but i was just
> expecting
> an increase.
>
> I've got a 6800gt
> 3200 64 amd
> 1gig of RAM
> and an msi neo2 plat
>
> Any help appreciated, as i'm a bit confused here.

Many people recommend a fresh install of the OS with a new mobo. It could be
a factor as far as your benchmark scores.

Chingy
December 16th 04, 07:36 PM
Three things u need to consider...

Fresh install of OS..
Latest chipset driver and all other driver you may need
BIOS upgrade and optimum BIOS settings..

Cheers