PDA

View Full Version : Help about CPU purchase (amd Athlon 64)

Chingy
December 15th 04, 06:18 AM
Hi there

I am looking to build a new system which is gonna be for Gaming mostly and
some very light video editing/mp3 encoding..

I actually have no clue what socket is best for gaming in terms of
performance and also price tag..

what socket s739 or s754 is better for gaming?

Could someone tell me which Athlon 64 I should buy at the moment and
diffrence in performance as to why I should buy it?

Cheers

Vermyndax
December 15th 04, 10:47 PM
Chingy wrote:
> Hi there
>
> I am looking to build a new system which is gonna be for Gaming mostly and
> some very light video editing/mp3 encoding..
>
> I actually have no clue what socket is best for gaming in terms of
> performance and also price tag..
>
> what socket s739 or s754 is better for gaming?
>
> Could someone tell me which Athlon 64 I should buy at the moment and
> diffrence in performance as to why I should buy it?

Socket 754 is going away... go with socket 939 or 940 (940 if you want
dual Opteron 64's).

--JM

Dee
December 16th 04, 01:14 AM
Vermyndax wrote:
> Chingy wrote:
>
>> Hi there
>>
>> I am looking to build a new system which is gonna be for Gaming mostly
>> and some very light video editing/mp3 encoding..
>>
>> I actually have no clue what socket is best for gaming in terms of
>> performance and also price tag..
>>
>> what socket s739 or s754 is better for gaming?
>>
>> Could someone tell me which Athlon 64 I should buy at the moment and
>> diffrence in performance as to why I should buy it?
>

> Socket 754 is going away... go with socket 939 or 940 (940 if you want
> dual Opteron 64's).
>
> --JM

Socket 754 is not going away in the near future! AMD is dropping the
socket A Athlon XP and replacing it with a 754-pin Duron. although the
Duron is closely related to the Athlon 64, it will only be a 32-bit CPU.

Cuzman
December 16th 04, 01:21 AM
"Dee" > wrote in message

" Socket 754 is not going away in the near future! AMD is dropping the
socket A Athlon XP and replacing it with a 754-pin Duron. although the
Duron is closely related to the Athlon 64, it will only be a 32-bit CPU. "

That's the Sempron, not Duron. I'm guessing they'll drop the socket 754
Athlon64 at some point soon too.

Dee
December 16th 04, 03:09 AM
Cuzman wrote:
> "Dee" > wrote in message
>
> " Socket 754 is not going away in the near future! AMD is dropping the
> socket A Athlon XP and replacing it with a 754-pin Duron. although the
> Duron is closely related to the Athlon 64, it will only be a 32-bit CPU. "
>

> That's the Sempron, not Duron. I'm guessing they'll drop the socket 754
> Athlon64 at some point soon too.

You're right, Sempron and not Duron! And from what I've read, I agree
that the 754 Athlon 64 will be phased out as production of the Sempron
increases.