PDA

View Full Version : System Builder Recommendations: Linux Dual Opteron Workstation

JBHinkey
December 9th 04, 05:46 PM
Looking for recommendations of vendors who can deliver a fully built and
tested dual opteron workstation. There are a lot of places that will
build one for you, but I have no idea who will do a good job and have
decent support afterwards. I would love to build it myself, but it
would cost me more than it would to have someone else do it for me.
Looking for raw FP performance for scientific applications (i.e., not
gaming), so the graphics performance is not that critical for me.

For reference, the rough basic specs. of a system I'm interested in:

Dual Opteron 250 CPUs
4 GB DDR 400 (4 - 1 GB DIMMS most likely)
DVD-R/RW + 1.44MB Floppy (yes, some software still comes on floppies)
Two hard drives: 80 GB ATA 133 + 80-120 GB SATA
Decent Graphics Card with OpenGL capability
Linux (probably Red Hat WS)
Tower Case OK (i.e., an E-ATX case is OK)

Thanks for any help/recommendations!

- John Hinkey
Seattle, WA.

Cuzman
December 9th 04, 07:02 PM
"JBHinkey" > wrote in message

" Thanks for any help/recommendations! "

My $0.02: For the cost of those 250's, you'd get better performance with
248's and an SCSI disk array.

JBHinkey
December 9th 04, 07:17 PM
Cuzman wrote:
> "JBHinkey" > wrote in message
>
> " Thanks for any help/recommendations! "
>

> My $0.02: For the cost of those 250's, you'd get better performance with
> 248's and an SCSI disk array.

Thanks for the input, of course you may be right - but for me, when a
numerical simulation takes _days_ to complete, the little extra
performance boost of the 250 (depending on the benchmark you use, up to
~9% faster) may be worth it. Disc I/O performance is secondary for me
- I'm normally a SCSI guy anyways, but the applications won't be
hindered much by disc I/O.

Thanks -

John

Scott Lurndal
December 9th 04, 10:19 PM
JBHinkey > writes:
>Looking for recommendations of vendors who can deliver a fully built and
>tested dual opteron workstation. There are a lot of places that will

Penguin Computing.

scott

None
December 10th 04, 01:44 AM
JBHinkey > wrote in
:

> For reference, the rough basic specs. of a system I'm interested in:
>
> Dual Opteron 250 CPUs
> 4 GB DDR 400 (4 - 1 GB DIMMS most likely)
> DVD-R/RW + 1.44MB Floppy (yes, some software still comes on floppies)
> Two hard drives: 80 GB ATA 133 + 80-120 GB SATA
> Decent Graphics Card with OpenGL capability
> Linux (probably Red Hat WS)
> Tower Case OK (i.e., an E-ATX case is OK)
>
> Thanks for any help/recommendations!
>
> - John Hinkey
> Seattle, WA.

Checkout Monarch Computers:

http://www.monarchcomputer.com
[Under workstations]

John R Weiss
December 14th 04, 01:21 AM
JBHinkey > writes:
>Looking for recommendations of vendors who can deliver a fully built and
>tested dual opteron workstation. There are a lot of places that will

NTSI in Boston -- www.ntsi.com

They will build to spec with other components than those in their on-line
"configurator" as well. Call or e-mail them with your specs.