PDA

View Full Version : amd64 3000+ getting too hot

rzm
December 6th 04, 12:37 AM
i'm having problems with:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ _BOX_ (Socket 939)
Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra-939 nVidia nForce3 Ultra
DDR 2x 512MB Dual PC-400 TwinMos CL 2.5
Radeon 9800 Pro Sapphire 128 MB DVI (256-bit)
ModeCom Step 207 case with CHIEFTEC GPS-350BB-101L

as i begin to play for example GTA3 (1280x1024) the processor
temperature rises to the maximum level of 85 C and then the power is
switched off.

my question is -- what did I install incorrectly, that the temperature
gets so high?

thanks and kind regards
/rzm

Wes Newell
December 6th 04, 12:57 AM
On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 00:37:12 +0100, rzm wrote:

> i'm having problems with:
>
> AMD Athlon 64 3000+ _BOX_ (Socket 939)
> Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra-939 nVidia nForce3 Ultra
> DDR 2x 512MB Dual PC-400 TwinMos CL 2.5
> Radeon 9800 Pro Sapphire 128 MB DVI (256-bit)
> ModeCom Step 207 case with CHIEFTEC GPS-350BB-101L
>
> as i begin to play for example GTA3 (1280x1024) the processor
> temperature rises to the maximum level of 85 C and then the power is
> switched off.
>
> my question is -- what did I install incorrectly, that the temperature
> gets so high?

CPU cooler would be my guess. Although it should never reach 85C. Mine
shut down somewhere not too far above 60C when the fan I had on it died.
70C is the rated max temp.

Travis King
December 7th 04, 12:00 AM
"Ed" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 00:37:12 +0100, "rzm" >
> wrote:
>
>>i'm having problems with:
>>
>>AMD Athlon 64 3000+ _BOX_ (Socket 939)
>>Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra-939 nVidia nForce3 Ultra
>>DDR 2x 512MB Dual PC-400 TwinMos CL 2.5
>>Radeon 9800 Pro Sapphire 128 MB DVI (256-bit)
>>ModeCom Step 207 case with CHIEFTEC GPS-350BB-101L
>>
>>as i begin to play for example GTA3 (1280x1024) the processor
>>temperature rises to the maximum level of 85 C and then the power is
>>switched off.
>>
>>my question is -- what did I install incorrectly, that the temperature
>>gets so high?
>>
>>thanks and kind regards
>>/rzm
>
> Did you lock the heatsink, sounds like it's not making good contact.
>
> AMD64 CPU and HeatSink_Install
> http://tinyurl.com/463xn
>
> Ed

Or the thermal interface material has scratches or the like... But as
someone else said, check to see if there's good contact first...

Lachoneus
December 11th 04, 05:33 AM
> As a matter of interest, what is the idling temperature? I find my
> A64 Socket 939 system idles at 46C when booted into Win2k, but idles
> five degrees hotter under WinXP, which makes little or no sense to me.

Processor driver not installed under WinXP?

With AMD's processor driver installed and Cool'n'Quiet enabled in the
BIOS, my S754 3000+ idles well under 30C. This is under XP Home.

Jeff
January 9th 05, 10:43 AM
I'm getting ready to install my boxed 3200+ 939. The bottom of the supplied
heatsink has a grey thermal pad. I do not see instructions anywhere that I
need
to add thermal grease or do anything else special. Is that all I need?

Btw, why doesn't AMD have the CPU and heatsink already attached on boxed
processors?

Thanks,

Jeff

wrote:

> >i'm having problems with:
> >
> >AMD Athlon 64 3000+ _BOX_ (Socket 939)
> >Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra-939 nVidia nForce3 Ultra
> >DDR 2x 512MB Dual PC-400 TwinMos CL 2.5
> >Radeon 9800 Pro Sapphire 128 MB DVI (256-bit)
> >ModeCom Step 207 case with CHIEFTEC GPS-350BB-101L
> >
> >as i begin to play for example GTA3 (1280x1024) the processor
> >temperature rises to the maximum level of 85 C and then the power is
> >switched off.
> >
> >my question is -- what did I install incorrectly, that the temperature
> >gets so high?
> >
> >thanks and kind regards
> >/rzm
>
> Did you lock the heatsink, sounds like it's not making good contact.
>
> AMD64 CPU and HeatSink_Install
> http://tinyurl.com/463xn
>
> Ed

Mitch Crane
January 9th 05, 06:30 PM
"Jeff" > wrote in
:

> I'm getting ready to install my boxed 3200+ 939. The bottom of the
> supplied heatsink has a grey thermal pad. I do not see instructions
> anywhere that I need
> to add thermal grease or do anything else special. Is that all I
> need?

That's all you need. If you choose to use something else then thoroughly
clean that stuff off.

> Btw, why doesn't AMD have the CPU and heatsink already attached on
> boxed processors?

For one, you wouldn't be able to install the CPU if it did. Also, the
heatsink attaches to the board (or a retention mechanism which is attached
to the board). If it were attached to the CPU then the only thing holding
CPU, heatsink and fan in place would be the CPU pins. That wouldn't be
good. This way the CPU is sandwiched between the heatsink and the board and
everything is held fast.

Sept1967
January 9th 05, 06:59 PM
Both AMD and INtel have the thermal material placed on the heatsink, a
thermal pad. It "melts" down the first time it heats up, and bonds to the
CPU, and heatsink. It does what it is supposed to do. If your stock heatsink
has this, you one need to see if there is a small plastic, removable, strip
protecting it. If not, just install and go.

Do you mean why isnt the heatsink, physically attached to the CPU in the
box?
Probably because every motherboard, isnt made to perfect CPU specs, and the
differences in the rentention brackets, and CPU socket orientation, would
prevent some people from installing the CPU, if the pins didnt match up
perfectly.
ie- the heatsink must be mounted differently on each board.