PDA

View Full Version : 754 or 939


iso
December 3rd 04, 06:07 AM
I'm looking to buy a brand new system with AMD Athlon 64 processor.

Should I get the 754 or 939 pin model? I see that the 939pin mobo's also
support the FX version of the Athlon 64 chip. But are there any performance
difference(s) between the two?

Is there any reason that I might want to go for the 754? I see that both
types are priced about the same.

Thanks for your replies.

Marshall
December 3rd 04, 06:40 AM
iso wrote:
> I'm looking to buy a brand new system with AMD Athlon 64 processor.
>
> Should I get the 754 or 939 pin model? I see that the 939pin mobo's also
> support the FX version of the Athlon 64 chip. But are there any performance
> difference(s) between the two?
>
> Is there any reason that I might want to go for the 754? I see that both
> types are priced about the same.
>
> Thanks for your replies.
>
>

When you say they are priced about the same, are you including the CPU
and memory requirements?

Anthony
December 3rd 04, 07:45 AM
go for 939 but wait till after christmas to get a pci express board.



"Marshall" > wrote in message
...
> iso wrote:
>> I'm looking to buy a brand new system with AMD Athlon 64 processor.
>>
>> Should I get the 754 or 939 pin model? I see that the 939pin mobo's also
>> support the FX version of the Athlon 64 chip. But are there any
>> performance
>> difference(s) between the two?
>>
>> Is there any reason that I might want to go for the 754? I see that both
>> types are priced about the same.
>>
>> Thanks for your replies.
>>
>>
>
> When you say they are priced about the same, are you including the CPU and
> memory requirements?

Tod
December 3rd 04, 09:10 AM
I believe the 939 has a faster memory interface over the 745.

"iso" > wrote in message
...
> I'm looking to buy a brand new system with AMD Athlon 64 processor.
>
> Should I get the 754 or 939 pin model? I see that the 939pin mobo's also
> support the FX version of the Athlon 64 chip. But are there any
> performance
> difference(s) between the two?
>
> Is there any reason that I might want to go for the 754? I see that both
> types are priced about the same.
>
> Thanks for your replies.
>
>
>

crabbs
December 4th 04, 11:50 PM
iso wrote:

> I'm looking to buy a brand new system with AMD Athlon 64 processor.
>
> Should I get the 754 or 939 pin model? I see that the 939pin mobo's
> also support the FX version of the Athlon 64 chip. But are there any
> performance difference(s) between the two?
>
> Is there any reason that I might want to go for the 754? I see that
> both types are priced about the same.
>
> Thanks for your replies.

The real difference is the dual memory channel of the 939. It only gives
maybe 3% speed improvement over the single channel 754.

As far as upgrades...well, the way I look at it is by the time I want a new
CPU, I'm gonna want a new mainboard too.

One thing to consider is that the 939 is is a 90nm chip and therefore runs
cooler. This might be considered if you plan to overclock.

I'm planning on getting a 754 setup after xmas.

Rudy
December 5th 04, 12:53 AM
"crabbs" > wrote in message
.47...
> iso wrote:
>
>> I'm looking to buy a brand new system with AMD Athlon 64 processor.
>>
>> Should I get the 754 or 939 pin model? I see that the 939pin mobo's
>> also support the FX version of the Athlon 64 chip. But are there any
>> performance difference(s) between the two?
>>
>> Is there any reason that I might want to go for the 754? I see that
>> both types are priced about the same.
>>
>> Thanks for your replies.
>

this might help
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.html?i=1947
not sure if I posted the link right, but it says that the fastest Socket-754
CPU will be the Athlon 64 3700+

gerry
December 6th 04, 06:43 AM
On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 00:07:57 -0500, "iso" > wrote:

>I'm looking to buy a brand new system with AMD Athlon 64 processor.
>
>Should I get the 754 or 939 pin model? I see that the 939pin mobo's also
>support the FX version of the Athlon 64 chip. But are there any performance
>difference(s) between the two?
>
>Is there any reason that I might want to go for the 754? I see that both
>types are priced about the same.
>
>Thanks for your replies.
>

If you plan on buying a lot more motherboards in the next two years,
the 939 cpu would be better. I'm not ;)