PDA

View Full Version : Re: Amd 64 & PC3500 Memory

Guitarcrazy
December 2nd 04, 08:45 PM
Hi all,

A tech. question for those that know. When the memory timings are listed,
such as 2-2-2-5, or 2-3-2-6, what do each one of these represent, in regards
to the bios? I know that the first number is the CAS latency, but what are
the other numbers? I recently upgraded my memory on my Amd 64 3000+ system
(Asus K8V SE Deluxe, 754p), using 2 x 512kb Geil PC3500 DDR433 memory
sticks. I want to be able to get the best performance I can from them
without overclocking (for now at least :o)

Also, since I've got an older AGP (Radeon 9000 Pro) card, what would be the
best match for this particular computer? I'm already thinking (and have
done a lot of reading/research) about a 6800GT board, but want some others
opinions.

TIA

DonM

Tim Burgess
December 5th 04, 10:12 AM
They represent the times allowed for the other parts of the memory writing
process if you like, Tras, Trp, Trcd... are there technical terms, in
general the lower they are the less time required and the better throughput
you'll get for your ram, however if you go to low you risk corrupting data
as the ram doesn't have enough time to refresh and write data etc. Usually
this is seen through a bsod though ;)

Just one thing to keep in mind, Tras is the only one which may gain from an
increase, which allows a longer time for data to be written, test with
SisoftSandra memory bandwidth benchmark to see the diferrence,

All in all however, most i've seen is up to 1-5% increase in overall system
performance which isn't noticeble unless you are a hardcore
gamer/overclocker. So not necessarily worth the effort

"Guitarcrazy" > wrote in message
m...
> Hi all,
>
> A tech. question for those that know. When the memory timings are listed,
> such as 2-2-2-5, or 2-3-2-6, what do each one of these represent, in
> regards
> to the bios? I know that the first number is the CAS latency, but what
> are
> the other numbers? I recently upgraded my memory on my Amd 64 3000+ system
> (Asus K8V SE Deluxe, 754p), using 2 x 512kb Geil PC3500 DDR433 memory
> sticks. I want to be able to get the best performance I can from them
> without overclocking (for now at least :o)
>
> Also, since I've got an older AGP (Radeon 9000 Pro) card, what would be
> the
> best match for this particular computer? I'm already thinking (and have
> done a lot of reading/research) about a 6800GT board, but want some others
> opinions.
>
> TIA
>
> DonM

Guitarcrazy
December 6th 04, 04:14 PM
Thanks, Tim.

I'm not really that great on netiquette ... so forgive my lame attempt to
ask a question.

Anyway, Thanks for the info. The reason I was asking, is that I had a hard
time configuring the memory to work in my computer - mostly due to the Asus
bios. I wound up flashing the newest beta version, and it automatically
recognized, and configured the memory (2-3-3-6, 200 mhz ... ddr 400).
Memory configuration issues, I've found, are very unforgiving - I had to pop
the battery several times before the new bios trying different settings.

DonM