PDA

View Full Version : PSU reccomenation for Athlon 64

Christo
December 1st 04, 10:40 AM
just curious, it is obviously going to be the next major upgrade for most PC
buyers who know whats good and what isn't I was just wondering if a 480w
thermaltake PSU would do the job, with possibly a NV FX6600 or even just a
5700 or 5900 just wondered really, power supplies have always been my
downfall, i bust up my old board because i used a cheap piece of crap

anyhow, i have seen like 600w PSU's about which is crazy and was hoping that
my 480w will do the job on a decent a64 system with a decent graphics card

Just Surfing
December 1st 04, 05:57 PM
I recently upgraded from my Athlon 3000+ to 3500+ x64 using my exisiting
400 watt PSU. I'm running 2x HDs, 2x DVDs, NVIDIA FX 5600 and such on my
Asus 939 board with no issues at all.

I also have to close the heating duct in my den as the computer does that
job, too. :)

Marshall
December 1st 04, 09:04 PM
Christo wrote:
> just curious, it is obviously going to be the next major upgrade for most PC
> buyers who know whats good and what isn't I was just wondering if a 480w
> thermaltake PSU would do the job, with possibly a NV FX6600 or even just a
> 5700 or 5900 just wondered really, power supplies have always been my
> downfall, i bust up my old board because i used a cheap piece of crap
>
> anyhow, i have seen like 600w PSU's about which is crazy and was hoping that
> my 480w will do the job on a decent a64 system with a decent graphics card

I'm running a AMD 64 3200+ on a 754 board, 1gig DRAM on two sticks, 7
fans total, 2 SATA HDD's, nVidia 6800GT (requires power hookup), 1
DVD-CDR and one disket drive. All being supplied by a 400W PSU.

No problems here.

Strings.
December 2nd 04, 02:04 AM
Don't buy just for wattage buy for quality A good Enermax 350w is far
superior to a cheep 500w
There is a wise saying "You buy cheep you but twice" "A fool and his money
soon part"
It like saying two cars have 200hp but look close an see that's at 4500 rpm
for powerful car and 6700 for other.
Which do you think could go cost to cost with a full load at full throttle
there and back without throwing a rod.
Stick to the big names Enermax, Antec, FSP, Delta, I prefer Enermax over
365w The caps and transformers ate all top quality I have never seen a bad
one. NEVER but anything that uses the word Pro, as in Prowatt Promax Propwr
the word pro is used to sell junk under the trick of Professional Quality
thet gows fore Bestpwr Bes****t
Good luck

"Christo" > wrote in message
> just curious, it is obviously going to be the next major upgrade for most
> PC buyers who know whats good and what isn't I was just wondering if a
> 480w thermaltake PSU would do the job, with possibly a NV FX6600 or even
> just a 5700 or 5900 just wondered really, power supplies have always been
> my downfall, i bust up my old board because i used a cheap piece of crap
>
> anyhow, i have seen like 600w PSU's about which is crazy and was hoping
> that my 480w will do the job on a decent a64 system with a decent graphics
> card

Alan Walpool
December 2nd 04, 05:02 AM

Strings> Don't buy just for wattage buy for quality A good Enermax
Strings> 350w is far superior to a cheep 500w There is a wise saying
Strings> "You buy cheep you but twice" "A fool and his money soon
Strings> part" It like saying two cars have 200hp but look close an
Strings> see that's at 4500 rpm for powerful car and 6700 for other.
Strings> Which do you think could go cost to cost with a full load at
Strings> full throttle there and back without throwing a rod. Stick
Strings> to the big names Enermax, Antec, FSP, Delta, I prefer
Strings> Enermax over 365w The caps and transformers ate all top
Strings> quality I have never seen a bad one. NEVER but anything that
Strings> uses the word Pro, as in Prowatt Promax Propwr the word pro
Strings> is used to sell junk under the trick of Professional Quality
Strings> thet gows fore Bestpwr Bes****t Good luck

Sometimes true and sometimes false. You cannot use name alone for
quality. However, since power supplies are not benchmarked or rarely
tested name brand is about the best we have. However, I have purchased
some really cheapo power supplies and they have performed perfectly.
All the major namebrands have had problems at one time or another.
Interesting question and one of the hardest to answer. What is the
best power supply and how much juice should it have?

Thanks for any real pointers.

Alan

Indigo
December 2nd 04, 06:47 PM
"Strings." > wrote in news:PStrd.223582$df2.87748
@edtnps89:

> Don't buy just for wattage buy for quality A good Enermax 350w is far
> superior to a cheep 500w

While I like Enermax (and just ordered another), my last two died untimely
deaths. Both were probably just over a year old. The first died when
someone unplugged the PC accidentally. The second when I had a power outage
(my UPS had lost a battery so I wasn't using it at the time). None of my
cheap PSUs have ever died from power outages or unplugging.

Maybe it was just bad luck, but I wonder if there is a design flaw that
makes these Enermax PSUs vulnerable to power outages. I'm still getting
another, but I'll keep it plugged into a working UPS.

Strings.
December 2nd 04, 10:54 PM
I build computers and never except a job unless the client allows me to
chose the power supply.
There is a popular brand case that is most likely the #1 seller that all the
power supplies have bad capasitors and sometimes the CPU and Mainboard blow
as well. these power supplies are full of those famous leaking capasitors
that plagued mainboards.
I have never seen a bad Enermax or Antec but it could well be. I have
noticed that the 3 year warranty listed on the box was not on the last batch
I purchased ?
Monitors are too going to one year so I just took it as that's the way it is

"Indigo" <*@*.*> wrote in message
.95...
> "Strings." > wrote in news:PStrd.223582$df2.87748
> @edtnps89:
>
>> Don't buy just for wattage buy for quality A good Enermax 350w is far
>> superior to a cheep 500w
>
> While I like Enermax (and just ordered another), my last two died untimely
> deaths. Both were probably just over a year old. The first died when
> someone unplugged the PC accidentally. The second when I had a power
> outage
> (my UPS had lost a battery so I wasn't using it at the time). None of my
> cheap PSUs have ever died from power outages or unplugging.
>
> Maybe it was just bad luck, but I wonder if there is a design flaw that
> makes these Enermax PSUs vulnerable to power outages. I'm still getting
> another, but I'll keep it plugged into a working UPS.

Indigo
December 3rd 04, 05:32 PM
Noel > wrote in
:

> On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 21:54:03 GMT, "Strings." >
> wrote:
>
>>I have never seen a bad Enermax or Antec but it could well be. I have
>>noticed that the 3 year warranty listed on the box was not on the last
>>batch I purchased ?
>
> The warranty on the last Enermax I bought (just over two weeks ago)
> had the full three years.

Any idea how to make a warranty claim? I went to their website, but found
no useful info.

Travis King
December 5th 04, 12:40 AM
Back to the 'pro' thing said in an earlier post. No wonder why my PROview
monitor is junk and has problems after problems.
"Indigo" <*@*.*> wrote in message
.95...
> Noel > wrote in
> :
>
>> On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 21:54:03 GMT, "Strings." >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I have never seen a bad Enermax or Antec but it could well be. I have
>>>noticed that the 3 year warranty listed on the box was not on the last
>>>batch I purchased ?
>>
>> The warranty on the last Enermax I bought (just over two weeks ago)
>> had the full three years.
>
> Any idea how to make a warranty claim? I went to their website, but found
> no useful info.

String.
December 5th 04, 04:37 AM
I know that brand I have seen many in need of repair.
Someone has to be at the bottom of quality and these products sell better if
the public think they are PRO-whatever (professional) it works.

"Travis King" > wrote in message
news:BVrsd.510869$D%[email protected]_s51...
> Back to the 'pro' thing said in an earlier post. No wonder why my PROview
> monitor is junk and has problems after problems.
> "Indigo" <*@*.*> wrote in message
> .95...
>> Noel > wrote in
>> :

>>> The warranty on the last Enermax I bought (just over two weeks ago)
>>> had the full three years.
>>
>> Any idea how to make a warranty claim? I went to their website, but found
>> no useful info.

Travis King
December 6th 04, 02:42 AM
The only reason why I bought this monitor is because it was cheap for a 19",
but I should have known better. I should've just saved up a little bit more
money and purchased me something more expensive. If I can get by with this
junker for 2 more years, it's going to the trash... that's when I plan on
building my next rig anyway. (I've had several problems with the 19"
Proview, starting just after owning it 3 months. I bought the thing back in
March last year. In June, the colors were funny, they would keep switching
back and forth from a yellowish tint, then it snapped out of it. (You could
actually watch the colors flip back and forth from normal to yellow.) Then,
in February this year, it started making high-pitch noises. Every time that
it did that, lines would go through the screen. The problem had to do with
the capacitors. After leaving the piece of junk unplugged for a week, it
was fine. Then, yesterday, it did the yellow tint again. It's acting fine
today, but we'll see what tomorrow brings... Who knows, maybe the CRT will
go POP!
"String." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I know that brand I have seen many in need of repair.
> Someone has to be at the bottom of quality and these products sell better
> if the public think they are PRO-whatever (professional) it works.
>

> "Travis King" > wrote in message
> news:BVrsd.510869$D%[email protected]_s51...
>> Back to the 'pro' thing said in an earlier post. No wonder why my
>> PROview monitor is junk and has problems after problems.
>> "Indigo" <*@*.*> wrote in message
>> .95...
>>> Noel > wrote in
>>> :

>>> Any idea how to make a warranty claim? I went to their website, but
>>> found
>>> no useful info.

Travis King
December 6th 04, 02:54 AM
Did I forget to mention that it has a few dead pixels too? And it's even a
CRT!
news:[email protected]_s52...