PDA

View Full Version : amd 64 vs. athlon xp

John
December 1st 04, 04:15 AM
so what would be a better gaming rig, with some digital audio work

athlon xp barton 2500+ (1.83)
nforce 2 board

or

athlon 64 2800 (1.81)
nforce 3 board

if everything else were the same like power supply, memory, drives, vid
card etc.
will be running win xp.

thanks in advance for your thought and opinions

john

Hierophant
December 1st 04, 04:19 AM
"John" > wrote in message
| so what would be a better gaming rig, with some digital audio work
|
| athlon xp barton 2500+ (1.83)
| nforce 2 board
|
| or
|
| athlon 64 2800 (1.81)
| nforce 3 board
|

| if everything else were the same like power supply, memory, drives, vid
| card etc.
| will be running win xp.
|

| thanks in advance for your thought and opinions

umm is this a joke?

JK
December 1st 04, 04:27 AM
The Athlon 64 would be much better for gaming.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2149&p=7

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2065&p=8

John wrote:

> so what would be a better gaming rig, with some digital audio work
>
> athlon xp barton 2500+ (1.83)
> nforce 2 board
>
> or
>
> athlon 64 2800 (1.81)
> nforce 3 board
>
> if everything else were the same like power supply, memory, drives, vid
> card etc.
> will be running win xp.
>
> thanks in advance for your thought and opinions
>
> john

David Efflandt
December 1st 04, 04:52 AM
On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 22:15:06 -0500, John > wrote:
> so what would be a better gaming rig, with some digital audio work
>
> athlon xp barton 2500+ (1.83)
> nforce 2 board
>
> or
>
> athlon 64 2800 (1.81)
> nforce 3 board
>

> if everything else were the same like power supply, memory, drives, vid
> card etc.
> will be running win xp.

The Athlon 64 benchmarks somewhat faster than a similarly rated Athlon XP,
even with same 32-bit OS. The 64 also runs cooler, but has lower
temperature limit (70C vs. 85C). I noticed that my HP 64 3200+ (nForce3)
runs noticeably faster (and 20C cooler) than a friend's similar Compaq XP
3000+ (nForce2) that I set up for her. But I also have AGP vs. integrated
video, and PC3200 vs. PC2700 RAM (I added my original 512 MB PC2700 RAM to
the Compaq, because 256 MB shared with video was not enough). Both run XP
Home (but I also have 64-bit XP Pro beta and 64-bit SuSE Linux).

Tim Burgess
December 5th 04, 10:15 AM
don't forget the A64 has extra L2 cache, 64bit instruction set, better
bandwidth from memory controller (built into the cpu), runs cooler, higher
system bus....

No contest really ;0)