PDA

View Full Version : Tricky Problem: Need Help

Michael
November 25th 04, 02:21 PM
I just purchased and installed a new Athlon XP 3200 (400MHz) CPU. However,
I get a blue screen whenever I try to load the system using the CPU's BIOS
settings (11x multiplier and 200 MHz CPU interface/400 MHz FSB). My system
specs are below. Here's what I have done to date.

- re-installed the latest BIOS numerous times
- Motherboard has been in operation for 10 months using a Athlon 2700 and
experienced no problems
- checked the RAM in another system (works great). RAM is Micron certified
PC3200/400MHz
- checked the CPU in another system (works great)
- changed the multiplier to 10.5 and ran the FSB at 200/400Hmz (works great)
- changed multiplier to 11 and 12x and ran FSB at 166/333 (works great)

I seem to only encounter this problem when I try to bump the multiplier to
11 or 11.5x using a 200/400MHz FSB. I am currently running the system at
10.5x with a 205/410MHz FSB and it's operating flawlessly. Has anyone
experienced a similar problem? Any help or suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

SYSTEM SPECS:
Athlon XP 3200+ OEM CPU
Two Micron PC3200 512MB Memory Modules
Shuttle AN35N Ultra Motherboard (Nvidia nForce2 chipset) - Latest nVidia
Chipset Drivers applied
(on-board sound and LAN)
nVidia GeForce 6800 Video Card with 128MB DDR at 8x AGP

Stings
November 25th 04, 02:37 PM
Did you check for a BIOS fix
Some of the first 400FSB systems boards did not work at 400 despite
advertising statements
It seems that XP3200 is not on the official CPU supported list.
http://www.shuttle.com/hq/support/faq/supportlist2.asp?model=AN35/N%20Ultra&vr=AN35/N%20Ultra

Personal note: I would not buy a shuttle board.

"Michael" > wrote in message
>I just purchased and installed a new Athlon XP 3200 (400MHz) CPU. However,
>I get a blue screen whenever I try to load the system using the CPU's BIOS
>settings (11x multiplier and 200 MHz CPU interface/400 MHz FSB). My system
>specs are below. Here's what I have done to date.
>
> - re-installed the latest BIOS numerous times
> - Motherboard has been in operation for 10 months using a Athlon 2700 and
> experienced no problems
> - checked the RAM in another system (works great). RAM is Micron certified
> PC3200/400MHz
> - checked the CPU in another system (works great)
> - changed the multiplier to 10.5 and ran the FSB at 200/400Hmz (works
> great)
> - changed multiplier to 11 and 12x and ran FSB at 166/333 (works great)
>
> I seem to only encounter this problem when I try to bump the multiplier to
> 11 or 11.5x using a 200/400MHz FSB. I am currently running the system at
> 10.5x with a 205/410MHz FSB and it's operating flawlessly. Has anyone
> experienced a similar problem? Any help or suggestions would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
>
> SYSTEM SPECS:
> Athlon XP 3200+ OEM CPU
> Two Micron PC3200 512MB Memory Modules
> Shuttle AN35N Ultra Motherboard (Nvidia nForce2 chipset) - Latest nVidia
> Chipset Drivers applied
> (on-board sound and LAN)
> nVidia GeForce 6800 Video Card with 128MB DDR at 8x AGP

Michael
November 26th 04, 04:33 PM
I agree. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't buy a Shuttle.
However, I'm stuck with it now; at least until I decide to do a full
upgrade.

I contacted Shuttle support and there are no other updates to the BIOS.
According to their support, the 3200 is fully supported.

I'm able to run a 400MHz FSB with no problem as long as I keep the
multiplier below 10.5. Conversely, if I lower teh FSB, I can bump the
multiplier above 10.5. I just can't get the two to meet in the middle. Any
other ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

"Stings" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Did you check for a BIOS fix
> Some of the first 400FSB systems boards did not work at 400 despite
> advertising statements
> It seems that XP3200 is not on the official CPU supported list.
> http://www.shuttle.com/hq/support/faq/supportlist2.asp?model=AN35/N%20Ultra&vr=AN35/N%20Ultra
>
> Personal note: I would not buy a shuttle board.
>

> "Michael" > wrote in message
>>I just purchased and installed a new Athlon XP 3200 (400MHz) CPU.
>>However, I get a blue screen whenever I try to load the system using the
>>CPU's BIOS settings (11x multiplier and 200 MHz CPU interface/400 MHz
>>FSB). My system specs are below. Here's what I have done to date.
>>
>> - re-installed the latest BIOS numerous times
>> - Motherboard has been in operation for 10 months using a Athlon 2700 and
>> experienced no problems
>> - checked the RAM in another system (works great). RAM is Micron
>> certified PC3200/400MHz
>> - checked the CPU in another system (works great)
>> - changed the multiplier to 10.5 and ran the FSB at 200/400Hmz (works
>> great)
>> - changed multiplier to 11 and 12x and ran FSB at 166/333 (works great)
>>
>> I seem to only encounter this problem when I try to bump the multiplier
>> to 11 or 11.5x using a 200/400MHz FSB. I am currently running the system
>> at 10.5x with a 205/410MHz FSB and it's operating flawlessly. Has anyone
>> experienced a similar problem? Any help or suggestions would be greatly
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mike
>>
>> SYSTEM SPECS:
>> Athlon XP 3200+ OEM CPU
>> Two Micron PC3200 512MB Memory Modules
>> Shuttle AN35N Ultra Motherboard (Nvidia nForce2 chipset) - Latest nVidia
>> Chipset Drivers applied
>> (on-board sound and LAN)
>> nVidia GeForce 6800 Video Card with 128MB DDR at 8x AGP

November 27th 04, 10:38 PM
Your board will only tolarate a 333 (166) setting at 11 or higher. This
is a limitation of the board. You are not doing anything wrong.

Michael
December 4th 04, 04:38 AM
How is it a limitation? The vendor states that it supports Athlon 3200 at
400 MHz. Please explain.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

"B" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Your board will only tolarate a 333 (166) setting at 11 or higher. This
> is a limitation of the board. You are not doing anything wrong.

Wes Newell
December 4th 04, 10:12 AM
On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 09:33:26 -0600, Michael wrote:

> I'm able to run a 400MHz FSB with no problem as long as I keep the
> multiplier below 10.5. Conversely, if I lower teh FSB, I can bump the
> multiplier above 10.5. I just can't get the two to meet in the middle. Any
> other ideas?

Weak PSU. Try and raise vcore a little.

Michael
December 4th 04, 04:29 PM