PDA

View Full Version : Re: Win 64 for AMD?

Randy Howard
November 22nd 04, 03:26 AM
In article >,
says...
> I've downloaded the Win 64 demo for my unit, which to tell the truth seems a
> bit of a pain. Is there somewhere to buy the real Win 64? M$ says they
> won't sell it, only OEM's etc. Seems like a half-hearted commitment to me.
> Since I built it myself, there is no OEM to buy from.
>
> So, if I want to pursue it further, is anybody really selling it?

It's still in beta, so why would anyone be selling it?

--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)
"For some reason most people seem to be born without the part

Bob Knowlden
November 22nd 04, 04:55 AM
It sounds like you've got a copy of the beta version for Athlon64 (and the
newer Xeons with 64 bit extensions).

The release version of it is due in the first half of 2005.

There's a different version of a 64 bit windows that is currently available,
but it only supports Intel Itanium CPUs. It's not available as a stand-alone
retail product, and it would be of little use to you if you could buy it.

The Microsoft web pages could be a lot clearer on the difference. Things
will probably improve as the release date approaches. The market for the
Athlon64 alone will be orders of magnitude larger than the Itanium market.

"Jose B" > wrote in message
m...
> I've downloaded the Win 64 demo for my unit, which to tell the truth seems
> bit of a pain. Is there somewhere to buy the real Win 64? M$ says they
> won't sell it, only OEM's etc. Seems like a half-hearted commitment to
> me.
> Since I built it myself, there is no OEM to buy from.
>
> So, if I want to pursue it further, is anybody really selling it?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jose

Jason Broomfield
November 23rd 04, 10:16 PM
Jose B wrote:
> I've downloaded the Win 64 demo for my unit, which to tell the truth seems a
> bit of a pain. Is there somewhere to buy the real Win 64? M$ says they
> won't sell it, only OEM's etc. Seems like a half-hearted commitment to me.
> Since I built it myself, there is no OEM to buy from.

There are 2 ways you'll be able to buy a full copy of XP64 when it is
released.

1. Through the OEM channel when purchasing a new bit of computer kit
such as a cheap mouse or cable.

2. Microsoft have talked about doing a license swap where they will
allow a valid Windows XP customer to swap their license for a Windows XP
64 license. Not sure if there'll be a charge for this yet though.

Bear in mind though, as other people have pointed out, it's still in
Beta and isn't due to be officially released until mid 2005 at the moment.

--
JasonB

To reply replace NoSpam4Me with Blueyonder

Joe
November 26th 04, 04:16 AM
> 2. Microsoft have talked about doing a license swap where they will allow
> a valid Windows XP customer to swap their license for a Windows XP 64
> license. Not sure if there'll be a charge for this yet though.

Micro$oft charged to "upgrade" from 98SE to ME and the difference was
extremely minimal. Count on it if you want to go from XP32 to XP64 you are
going to make Bill Gates at least $50 richer doing so.

Joe

November 27th 04, 10:33 PM
Look for final release of this product during the 1st half of 2005,
unless there is another delay

regards

Just Surfing
December 1st 04, 05:59 PM
I would look for it to be released when Intel finally has a consumer x64
product. MS doesn't have to reinvent the wheel on this version.

January 16th 05, 08:30 PM
Jose B wrote:
> I've downloaded the Win 64 demo for my unit, which to tell the truth seems a
> bit of a pain. Is there somewhere to buy the real Win 64? M$ says they
> won't sell it, only OEM's etc. Seems like a half-hearted commitment to me.
> Since I built it myself, there is no OEM to buy from.
>
> So, if I want to pursue it further, is anybody really selling it?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jose

The loophole is to purchase something in which to build a new system,
say a hard drive or motherboard.

In the past I have been able to purchase legal copies by bundling them
with a Hard Drive, say a spare twenty MEG hd. (Yes MEG).

When the time comes to purchase the released version it will be readily
available.

TBerk