PDA

View Full Version : Dual Channel memory

Igor
November 21st 04, 06:19 AM
My motherboard does not support Dual Channel memory mode but if I got a good
deal on some (2 x 512 Mb) Dual Channel memory would it still be compatable
assuming all the other specs are the same (non-ECC, unbuffered, PC3200)?
I realize I won't get the performance benefit of the 2 channel mode but I am
thinking it should still work as well as regular, non-dual channel memory.
Motherboard is ASUS K8N-E Deluxe and thinking about Geil Value Dual Channel
PC3200 DDR memory.
By the way, anyone have anything good or bad to say about this brand of
memory?

Thanks, John

Wes Newell
November 21st 04, 09:52 AM
On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 23:19:05 -0600, Igor wrote:

> My motherboard does not support Dual Channel memory mode but if I got a good
> deal on some (2 x 512 Mb) Dual Channel memory would it still be compatable
> assuming all the other specs are the same (non-ECC, unbuffered, PC3200)?
> I realize I won't get the performance benefit of the 2 channel mode but I am
> thinking it should still work as well as regular, non-dual channel memory.
> Motherboard is ASUS K8N-E Deluxe and thinking about Geil Value Dual Channel
> PC3200 DDR memory.
> By the way, anyone have anything good or bad to say about this brand of
> memory?

There's no such thing as dual channel memory. What you get when you buy
"dual channel memory" is simply 2 sticks of the same brand/model. So if
you can buy the same thing as a single stick cheaper, do that. It's the
MB or CPU memory controller that determines single or dual channel and it
doesn't care what kind of ram you put in it as long as it's 2 compatible
sticks in the proper slots.

Jon Back
November 22nd 04, 02:27 AM
"Igor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> My motherboard does not support Dual Channel memory mode but if I got a
> good
> deal on some (2 x 512 Mb) Dual Channel memory would it still be compatable
> assuming all the other specs are the same (non-ECC, unbuffered, PC3200)?
> I realize I won't get the performance benefit of the 2 channel mode but I
> am
> thinking it should still work as well as regular, non-dual channel memory.
> Motherboard is ASUS K8N-E Deluxe and thinking about Geil Value Dual
> Channel
> PC3200 DDR memory.
> By the way, anyone have anything good or bad to say about this brand of
> memory?
>
> Thanks, John

The "benefit" to buying dual channel memory (two matched modules) is only
that you could migrate them to another future motherboard that can put their
"dual-channelness" to use. Socket 754 - no dual channel. But, I have matched
sticks. Just in case.