PDA

View Full Version : Measuring psu

Ed Light
November 5th 04, 01:04 AM
Is this a valid way to measure the rails:

hook a multimeter to a molex, ground to black, and plus to red or yellow?

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

malcolm
November 5th 04, 02:42 AM
"Ed Light" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Is this a valid way to measure the rails:
>
> hook a multimeter to a molex, ground to black, and plus to red or yellow?
>

> --
> Ed Light
>
> Smiley :-/
> MS Smiley :-\
>
> Send spam to the FTC at
>
> Thanks, robots.

DO NOT SHORT OUT THE RAILS,
use extreme caution when doing this.
you would have a serious bang if you did short anything..
regards malcolm

rstlne
November 5th 04, 02:42 PM
"Ed Light" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Is this a valid way to measure the rails:
>
> hook a multimeter to a molex, ground to black, and plus to red or yellow?

Not sure if malcom knows what a Multimeter is.. *EG*

Yes that's how you can check for voltages. Depending on the quality of the
multimeter however your might be reading a worse value with it instead of
using the onboard chip (that's if you have the psu connected to a working
system) ..
The main thing to remember when using a multimeter is that you be sure to
have it set to "Voltage" before you go to measure. Having a multimeter set
to Current (A or mA) and connecting the leads will cause the meter to blow a
fuse and it could possibly harm the supply (doubtful)

I would say to hook up a hard drive or a floppy drive when cutting it on
too, as having a load on the lines will make the voltage more steady.

Malcom said "Do not short out the rails" but if you are testing it I guess
you should probably know that shorting the rails should NOT harm the psu but
it possibly might ..