PDA

View Full Version : Power supply for Athlon 64?

Hank Barta
November 4th 04, 05:45 AM
I'm looking to upgrade a system by replacing most of the guts with
a system based on an AMD Athlon 64. What is the likelihood that a
PS for an Athlon 850 will work for a newer MoBo? Do the Athlon 64
MoBos have different power requirements and different connectors?

thanks,
hank

David Efflandt
November 4th 04, 08:03 AM
On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 04:45:16 GMT, Hank Barta > wrote:
> I'm looking to upgrade a system by replacing most of the guts with
> a system based on an AMD Athlon 64. What is the likelihood that a
> PS for an Athlon 850 will work for a newer MoBo? Do the Athlon 64
> MoBos have different power requirements and different connectors?

My Athlon 64 3200+ (2 GHz) system (HP a530n) came with an overrated 250w
power supply which worked fine until I tried to upgrade video from FX
5200XT (would not even POST with 256 MB FX 5700LE). I am currently
running Antec SmartPower 350 with 1g RAM and 128 MB GeForce 6800 video
(which uses 130 watts max at wall outlet). My MoBo has standard ATX
connector (I think just Dells are different).

Not sure how power consumption compares with Duron, but 64-bit chips do
use less voltage and run cooler (and faster) than similar Athlon XP.

Wes Newell
November 4th 04, 11:20 AM
On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 04:45:16 +0000, Hank Barta wrote:

> I'm looking to upgrade a system by replacing most of the guts with
> a system based on an AMD Athlon 64. What is the likelihood that a
> PS for an Athlon 850 will work for a newer MoBo? Do the Athlon 64
> MoBos have different power requirements and different connectors?

The 400W that ran my Athlon XP system wouldn't keep my A64 system running
for more than a few seconds after boot, if it made it that far. No doubt
that 400W was highly overated, so I bought 3 cheap PSU's, 500W $12, 550W
$15, and 600W $24. Each of these worked fine.

Stings
November 4th 04, 02:19 PM
I repair pc's and would never recommend or use a cheap PS, tooo many pop
their caps.
If your current PS is a good brand over 300w it will do, assuming it has a
new P4-12 volt 4 pin connector
"If you but cheap you but twice" so never purchased one of those cheap
supplies they advertise 500w 21$
They do not have same quality parts and regulators and some will blow caps
under load or cause BSofD.
If PS was a car would you buy a Yugo? claiming to go 120mph or a Cadilac
which of the two could run full throttle cost to cost at top speed without
blowing a rod.
If it sounds too good .
A fool and his money.
But cheap buy twice.
Get an Enermax / Antec or other national brand. Never buy anything with pro
in the name. Made up examples: Maxpro, PowPro, Prowatt, VoltPro. or any
grand title GoodPow , BestPow, so on
Most all crap parts use pro to fool people into thinking the are
professional quality when if fact it most often a sales tool for junk.

"Hank Barta" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s54...
> I'm looking to upgrade a system by replacing most of the guts with
> a system based on an AMD Athlon 64. What is the likelihood that a
> PS for an Athlon 850 will work for a newer MoBo? Do the Athlon 64
> MoBos have different power requirements and different connectors?
>
> thanks,
> hank

A Guy Called Tyketto
November 4th 04, 08:58 PM

Stings
November 4th 04, 09:57 PM
Sparkle, HEC, Fortron/Source, PC Power & Cooling, FPS, Delta are a couple
others
*Avoid L&C like aids.

Here are some reviews good and poor supplies and remember most reviewers
never open and check part quality.

http://www.amdboard.com/psu.html

"A Guy Called Tyketto" > wrote in message
. com...

Ed Light
November 4th 04, 09:58 PM
"Stings" > wrote
>I repair pc's and would never recommend or use a cheap PS, tooo many pop
>their caps.
Watch out for flames! "Those fools that pay so much .." etc.!
BTW, I'm entranced by Coolmax Taurus models. Heard anything bad or good
about them? They're the ones with the one big fan -- even a 140mm fan!

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

A Guy Called Tyketto
November 4th 04, 10:15 PM

Ed Light
November 5th 04, 12:50 AM
useful tool:

http://takaman.jp/D/?english

It looks like he's using hd's startup voltage rather than the normal
running.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

mikep
November 5th 04, 01:21 PM
Ed Light wrote:
> "Stings" > wrote
>
>>I repair pc's and would never recommend or use a cheap PS, tooo many pop
>>their caps.
>
> Watch out for flames! "Those fools that pay so much .." etc.!
> BTW, I'm entranced by Coolmax Taurus models. Heard anything bad or good
> about them? They're the ones with the one big fan -- even a 140mm fan!

Check out the Seasonics. They have active PFC, 80% efficiency and a
very quiet 120mm bottom mounted fan. I use the 300 watt model with my
AMD64 o/c to 2.4 GHZ. Its stable no problems. The system only draws
about 180 watts from the wall socket (using Kill-A-Watt Meter) at full
load. Here is a review:

Ed Light
November 5th 04, 11:29 PM
"mikep" > wrote
> Check out the Seasonics.
Thanks, I just looked at them on newegg, but they all only go up to 30A on
the 5v, and I'm running right on that. Some of the Coolmax big fan ones have
lots of amps.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

ProudPapa
November 20th 04, 10:03 PM
| BTW, I'm entranced by Coolmax Taurus models. Heard anything bad or good
| about them? They're the ones with the one big fan -- even a 140mm fan!

I just got one last week, Fan is noisy when cold, not from air turbulence
but sounds like bearing noise, after a couple of minutes it runs quiet.
Voltages are stable under load. The variable speed is a nice feature, but it
runs quiet enough on high so I just leave it there.