PDA

View Full Version : Multiplier drops to 4x after suspend

Lachoneus
November 4th 04, 02:21 AM
System info:
ASUS K8N-E Deluxe (nForce3 250 Gb)
Athlon 64 3000+ S754 Newcastle (FC0 DH7-CG)
Windows XP Home SP2
Cool'n'Quiet is DISABLED in the BIOS; power scheme is set to
"Home/Office Desk".

The CPU normally runs at 200x10 = 2000 MHz. But after it wakes up from
suspend, it only operates at 200x4 = 800 MHz. It's not just a reporting
bug; after suspend/resume I can't capture video without dropping frames
until I power cycle the machine.

.... any ideas (other than don't suspend)?

Information Scavenger
November 4th 04, 04:22 AM
If it is doing that after a suspend, it sounds as if its something
buggy on the motherboard. You could try flashing to the latest
revision to see if that helps...if not, maybe call them or the place
you got them from for support...

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 18:21:53 -0700, Lachoneus
> wrote:

> 200x4 = 800 MHz. It's not just a reporting
>bug; after suspend/resume I can't capture video without dropping frames
>until I power cycle the machine.

Wes Newell
November 4th 04, 11:16 AM
On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 18:21:53 -0700, Lachoneus wrote:

> System info:
> ASUS K8N-E Deluxe (nForce3 250 Gb)
> Athlon 64 3000+ S754 Newcastle (FC0 DH7-CG)
> Windows XP Home SP2
> Cool'n'Quiet is DISABLED in the BIOS; power scheme is set to
> "Home/Office Desk".
>
> The CPU normally runs at 200x10 = 2000 MHz. But after it wakes up from
> suspend, it only operates at 200x4 = 800 MHz. It's not just a reporting
> bug; after suspend/resume I can't capture video without dropping frames
> until I power cycle the machine.
>
> ... any ideas (other than don't suspend)?

Check your powernow settings? I don't use windows XP, so I don't know
where they are. In 98 I think they're in the control panel. Don't use it
much either, actually almost never, but I did test powernow for it.

Roger Ford
November 16th 04, 10:29 PM
Lachoneus > wrote

> System info:
> ASUS K8N-E Deluxe (nForce3 250 Gb)
> Athlon 64 3000+ S754 Newcastle (FC0 DH7-CG)
> Windows XP Home SP2
> Cool'n'Quiet is DISABLED in the BIOS; power scheme is set to
> "Home/Office Desk".
>
> The CPU normally runs at 200x10 = 2000 MHz. But after it wakes up from
> suspend, it only operates at 200x4 = 800 MHz. It's not just a reporting
> bug; after suspend/resume I can't capture video without dropping frames
> until I power cycle the machine.

I have an identical configuration and the identical problem. Did you ever
figure out a solution? If I set power scheme to "Minimal Power Saving"
(needed, incidently, for Cool'n'Quiet to work) then it only does S1
suspend and doesn't turn off CPU fan etc.

The reason I need suspend is that power-off doesn't work properly with
my TV card in (Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T), and the whole thing needs to be
turned off at the mains switch before restarting - a bit of a pain.

Lachoneus
November 18th 04, 02:28 AM
> I have an identical configuration and the identical problem. Did you ever
> figure out a solution? If I set power scheme to "Minimal Power Saving"
> (needed, incidently, for Cool'n'Quiet to work) then it only does S1
> suspend and doesn't turn off CPU fan etc.

I found a workaround of sorts. If I enable ACPI 2.0 and Cool'n'Quiet in
the BIOS, then toggling the power scheme from "Always On" to "Minimal
Power Management" and then back to "Always On" brings the CPU back up to
the full 2GHz. Without C'n'Q enabled, there was no way to do it short
of a power cycle.

> The reason I need suspend is that power-off doesn't work properly with
> my TV card in (Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T), and the whole thing needs to be
> turned off at the mains switch before restarting - a bit of a pain.

Huh. My Hauppauge WinTV Go doesn't cause any shutdown issues. I am
using the open source driver from http://btwincap.sourceforge.net/, but
even using the official driver I didn't have that problem (couldn't
capture above 320x240 though).

Paul
November 21st 04, 11:39 AM
In article >, Lachoneus
> wrote:

> > I have an identical configuration and the identical problem. Did you ever
> > figure out a solution? If I set power scheme to "Minimal Power Saving"
> > (needed, incidently, for Cool'n'Quiet to work) then it only does S1
> > suspend and doesn't turn off CPU fan etc.
>
> I found a workaround of sorts. If I enable ACPI 2.0 and Cool'n'Quiet in
> the BIOS, then toggling the power scheme from "Always On" to "Minimal
> Power Management" and then back to "Always On" brings the CPU back up to
> the full 2GHz. Without C'n'Q enabled, there was no way to do it short
> of a power cycle.
>
> > The reason I need suspend is that power-off doesn't work properly with
> > my TV card in (Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T), and the whole thing needs to be
> > turned off at the mains switch before restarting - a bit of a pain.
>
> Huh. My Hauppauge WinTV Go doesn't cause any shutdown issues. I am
> using the open source driver from http://btwincap.sourceforge.net/, but
> even using the official driver I didn't have that problem (couldn't
> capture above 320x240 though).

The WinTV Go is one of those BT848/BT878 based boards. They
have two operating modes. If you keep the onscreen display,
the DMA on the TV card transfers half the captured data
to the screen, and the other half is available for recording
to disk. If you disable the onscreen display while in
recording mode, then all the lines are available to be
DMA transferred to the storage system. That is how you get
the highest resolution setting - by disabling the ability
to watch and record at the same time.

Paul

Roger Ford
November 21st 04, 10:47 PM
Lachoneus > wrote

> I found a workaround of sorts. If I enable ACPI 2.0 and Cool'n'Quiet in
> the BIOS, then toggling the power scheme from "Always On" to "Minimal
> Power Management" and then back to "Always On" brings the CPU back up to
> the full 2GHz. Without C'n'Q enabled, there was no way to do it short
> of a power cycle.

Bit too much of a workaround for the non-technical person I was building
it for. I gave up in the end and swapped the m/board for a Gigabyte K8VT800
Pro - not nearly such a nice m/board, though it does give you gigabit
ethernet and Firewire for only 5 quid more than the K8N. Doesn't do
Cool'n'Quiet at all though.

> > The reason I need suspend is that power-off doesn't work properly with
> > my TV card in (Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T), and the whole thing needs to be
> > turned off at the mains switch before restarting - a bit of a pain.
>
> Huh. My Hauppauge WinTV Go doesn't cause any shutdown issues. I am
> using the open source driver from http://btwincap.sourceforge.net/, but
> even using the official driver I didn't have that problem (couldn't
> capture above 320x240 though).

WinTV Go is quite different. I have one in my twin-CPU work machine.
I tried adding the Nova-T to that, and it didn't work at all. Hauppauge
support said "of COURSE it doesn't work on dual-CPU machines". Yeah, right,
like I should have known that...