PDA

View Full Version : Processor Speed on HP Laptop

Eliezer Bulka
October 31st 04, 07:19 PM
I have a zv5000z with an AMD Athlon 64 2800+. It is capable of hitting 1.8
GHz. However, for some reason, when I left click on My Computer and hit
Properties, I almost always get a processor speed no greater than 797 MHz.
As usual, no one at HP can help me with this problem. Any suggestions?

Dee
October 31st 04, 07:27 PM
Eliezer Bulka wrote:

> I have a zv5000z with an AMD Athlon 64 2800+. It is capable of hitting 1.8
> GHz. However, for some reason, when I left click on My Computer and hit
> Properties, I almost always get a processor speed no greater than 797 MHz.
> As usual, no one at HP can help me with this problem. Any suggestions?

If the laptop is setup with "Cool-n-Quiet" (or possibly 'PowerNow')
enabled, this is normal. These slow down the CPU and drop the CPU
voltage when it's not need at a higher speed to conserve battery power
and to keep the CPU cooler.

Eliezer Bulka
October 31st 04, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the answer. However, to test this out I have run several high
demand applications at the same time while being plugged into AC Power and I
still get the same result.

"Dee" > wrote in message
> Eliezer Bulka wrote:
>
>> I have a zv5000z with an AMD Athlon 64 2800+. It is capable of hitting
>> 1.8 GHz. However, for some reason, when I left click on My Computer and
>> hit Properties, I almost always get a processor speed no greater than 797
>> MHz. As usual, no one at HP can help me with this problem. Any
>> suggestions?
>
> If the laptop is setup with "Cool-n-Quiet" (or possibly 'PowerNow')
> enabled, this is normal. These slow down the CPU and drop the CPU voltage
> when it's not need at a higher speed to conserve battery power and to keep
> the CPU cooler.

Dee
October 31st 04, 07:33 PM
Eliezer Bulka wrote:

> Thanks for the answer. However, to test this out I have run several high
> demand applications at the same time while being plugged into AC Power and I
> still get the same result.
>

> "Dee" > wrote in message
>
>>Eliezer Bulka wrote:
>>

>>>I have a zv5000z with an AMD Athlon 64 2800+. It is capable of hitting
>>>1.8 GHz. However, for some reason, when I left click on My Computer and
>>>hit Properties, I almost always get a processor speed no greater than 797
>>>MHz. As usual, no one at HP can help me with this problem. Any
>>>suggestions?
>>
>>If the laptop is setup with "Cool-n-Quiet" (or possibly 'PowerNow')
>>enabled, this is normal. These slow down the CPU and drop the CPU voltage
>>when it's not need at a higher speed to conserve battery power and to keep
>>the CPU cooler.

You should submit an inquiry to HP Tech Support and they can tell you
whether you have a problem or not. You can fill out a Tech Support
request on-line at HP.

Hamman
October 31st 04, 07:41 PM
"Eliezer Bulka" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I have a zv5000z with an AMD Athlon 64 2800+. It is capable of hitting 1.8
>GHz. However, for some reason, when I left click on My Computer and hit
>Properties, I almost always get a processor speed no greater than 797 MHz.
>As usual, no one at HP can help me with this problem. Any suggestions?

Sitting infront of a mobile 2500+ laptop at the moment, i can tell you that
if powernow is working correctly, the speed in my computer DOES change.

779MHz is the lowest speed for my chip, and it displays 1.86GHz under load.

hamman

Eliezer Bulka
October 31st 04, 07:56 PM
Been there, done that. Not with this specific problem but with another BIOS
issue. They're hopeless.

"Dee" > wrote in message
> Eliezer Bulka wrote:

> You should submit an inquiry to HP Tech Support and they can tell you
> whether you have a problem or not. You can fill out a Tech Support
> request on-line at HP.

Eliezer Bulka
October 31st 04, 08:10 PM
I haven't figured out how to check PowerNow settings. Any tips?

"Hamman" > wrote in message

> "Eliezer Bulka" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>>I have a zv5000z with an AMD Athlon 64 2800+. It is capable of hitting 1.8
>>GHz. However, for some reason, when I left click on My Computer and hit
>>Properties, I almost always get a processor speed no greater than 797 MHz.
>>As usual, no one at HP can help me with this problem. Any suggestions?
>>
> Sitting infront of a mobile 2500+ laptop at the moment, i can tell you
> that if powernow is working correctly, the speed in my computer DOES
> change.
>
> 779MHz is the lowest speed for my chip, and it displays 1.86GHz under
> load.
>
> hamman

Hierophant
October 31st 04, 08:37 PM
"Eliezer Bulka" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
|I have a zv5000z with an AMD Athlon 64 2800+. It is capable of hitting 1.8
| GHz. However, for some reason, when I left click on My Computer and hit
| Properties, I almost always get a processor speed no greater than 797 MHz.
| As usual, no one at HP can help me with this problem. Any suggestions?

Set the notebook to "always on" in the power scheme (or "home/office desk")
and DO NOT read the system properties reporting speed. It is not accurate.
Use CPUID , CPU-Z or some other external realtime frequency checking.

Hierophant
October 31st 04, 08:39 PM
"Eliezer Bulka" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
|I haven't figured out how to check PowerNow settings. Any tips?

In WindowsXP, by default there are no visible controls for PowerNow.
Home/Office Desk and Always on in the power scheme lock it at it's highest
frequency (on AC power). Portable/Laptop sets it to dynamic speed
switching. Windows system properties does not typically accurately report
the frequency on a mobile A64.

Eliezer Bulka
November 1st 04, 03:07 AM
Thanks all, CPU-Z did the trick

"Hierophant" > wrote in message

> "Eliezer Bulka" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> |I have a zv5000z with an AMD Athlon 64 2800+. It is capable of hitting
> 1.8
> | GHz. However, for some reason, when I left click on My Computer and hit
> | Properties, I almost always get a processor speed no greater than 797
> MHz.
> | As usual, no one at HP can help me with this problem. Any suggestions?
> |

> Set the notebook to "always on" in the power scheme (or "home/office
> desk")
> and DO NOT read the system properties reporting speed. It is not accurate.
> Use CPUID , CPU-Z or some other external realtime frequency checking.

Hierophant
November 2nd 04, 10:32 PM
"Eliezer Bulka" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
| Thanks for the answer. However, to test this out I have run several high
| demand applications at the same time while being plugged into AC Power and
| still get the same result.

Set your power profile to Always On and DO NOT GO BY WHAT SYSTEM PROPERTIES
SAYS. Use a real frequency checker such as the one that is included in
CPU-id or cpu-z. Also ensure you are on battery. Windows system properties
reports the wrong speed 90% of the time on PowerNow! enabled processors.

Homer
November 3rd 04, 07:26 PM
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/utilities/PowerNowDashboard_setup.zip
try that program, it will show you powernow working, its great

"Eliezer Bulka" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I have a zv5000z with an AMD Athlon 64 2800+. It is capable of hitting 1.8
>GHz. However, for some reason, when I left click on My Computer and hit
>Properties, I almost always get a processor speed no greater than 797 MHz.
>As usual, no one at HP can help me with this problem. Any suggestions?

Homer
November 3rd 04, 07:27 PM
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/utilities/PowerNowDashboard_setup.zip
try that program, it will show you powernow working, its great

"Eliezer Bulka" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I have a zv5000z with an AMD Athlon 64 2800+. It is capable of hitting 1.8
>GHz. However, for some reason, when I left click on My Computer and hit
>Properties, I almost always get a processor speed no greater than 797 MHz.
>As usual, no one at HP can help me with this problem. Any suggestions?

Randy Howard
November 4th 04, 07:48 AM
In article >,
says...
> http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/utilities/PowerNowDashboard_setup.zip
> try that program, it will show you powernow working, its great

It's actually a pretty lame little program that takes up too much real estate
and isn't useful at all.

> "Eliezer Bulka" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> >I have a zv5000z with an AMD Athlon 64 2800+. It is capable of hitting 1.8
> >GHz. However, for some reason, when I left click on My Computer and hit
> >Properties, I almost always get a processor speed no greater than 797 MHz.

It's because of battery life power saving functionality.

> >As usual, no one at HP can help me with this problem. Any suggestions?

Bizarre, they should know about this. It isn't a problem, it's a feature,
which makes your battery last longer. Run an app that uses 100% of the
CPU and then check it.

--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)