PDA

View Full Version : Re: CD sound and motherboard

Dee
October 28th 04, 12:32 PM
Lieven Vanoirbeek wrote:

> Hello
>

> I bought a new PC with a PC DDR266 Systemboard (Socket A M811 series)for
> an Athlon XP 2.4.
> I installed Win2k Pro on it and everything works fine except I have no
> sound from any CD or DVD. I can hear all the sounds in Windows but
> nothing from the DVD-player!
> There is no "sound-cable" between my motherboard and the DVD-player. Is
> it possible that the sound goes trough the IDE-cable????
>
> I'm not really an expert in these cases.... :-)
>
> Thank you
>
> Lieven

When you say 'nothing from the DVD-player', do you mean the front
earphone plug or what?

And yes, the music is being read through the IDE cable to whatever
program your using to play the CD. I believe in most cases it is
converted to a wave configuration and then play through your sound card.
I know the wave volume controls the music volume on my system.

Dee
October 28th 04, 01:50 PM
Lieven Vanoirbeek wrote:

> Dee wrote:
>
>> Lieven Vanoirbeek wrote:
>>
>>> Hello
>>>

>>> I bought a new PC with a PC DDR266 Systemboard (Socket A M811
>>> series)for an Athlon XP 2.4.
>>> I installed Win2k Pro on it and everything works fine except I have
>>> no sound from any CD or DVD. I can hear all the sounds in Windows but
>>> nothing from the DVD-player!
>>> There is no "sound-cable" between my motherboard and the DVD-player.
>>> Is it possible that the sound goes trough the IDE-cable????
>>>
>>> I'm not really an expert in these cases.... :-)
>>>
>>> Thank you
>>>
>>> Lieven
>>

>> When you say 'nothing from the DVD-player', do you mean the front
>> earphone plug or what?
>>
>> And yes, the music is being read through the IDE cable to whatever
>> program your using to play the CD. I believe in most cases it is
>> converted to a wave configuration and then play through your sound
>> card. I know the wave volume controls the music volume on my system.
>>
> The sound chip is onboard.
> I cannot hear anything trough my speakers from the DVD, Windows sounds
> no problem....

I must admit I have no experience with Win2k Pro, but since it shares
much of the WinXP code, I would think there should be some similarities.

Are you using the Windows Media Player, or some other program?

Wes Newell
October 28th 04, 04:05 PM
On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 14:25:43 +0200, Lieven Vanoirbeek wrote:

> The sound chip is onboard.
> I cannot hear anything trough my speakers from the DVD, Windows sounds
> no problem....

Hook up the 4pin (3 wire usually) connector between the CD/DVDplayer and
the MB sound connector (CD1). Going over the IDE cable uses up processor
and PCI bandwidth and also requires support.

malcolm
November 5th 04, 02:47 AM
"Lieven Vanoirbeek" > wrote in message
> Hello
>

> I bought a new PC with a PC DDR266 Systemboard (Socket A M811 series)for
> an Athlon XP 2.4.
> I installed Win2k Pro on it and everything works fine except I have no
> sound from any CD or DVD. I can hear all the sounds in Windows but
> nothing from the DVD-player!
> There is no "sound-cable" between my motherboard and the DVD-player. Is
> it possible that the sound goes trough the IDE-cable????
>
> I'm not really an expert in these cases.... :-)
>
> Thank you
>
> Lieven

properties of the DVD/CD drive, select ' use digital audio'
windows then will access it and route the wav data through your sound device
digitaly.
you get a cleaner sound this way rather than using analog cables.
regards malcolm