PDA

View Full Version : Bios problem with Asus A8V

no spam
October 23rd 04, 06:28 AM
Hello,

I have an Asus A8V (revision 1.02) with an AMD64 3500+ CPU. My boot drive
is a WD Raptor (36gig) configured to run off one of the VIA Sata connectors.
I also have a standard IDE Seagate 160gig connected to the IDE 1 port as
well as two 160gig Sata Seagates configured as RAID 0 running off the
Promise connectors.

I cannot seem to update the bios from 1006 to 1007 without it resulting in
problems. When I upgraded the bios to 1007 I was left with a machine to
would not boot, no boot messages on the screen, nothing. I manged to
reinstall the previous bios and the machine machine functioned normally.
Just in case it was just a problem with that particular bios (1007), I
thought I'd try an update the bios to the latest beta version 1008.002.
Unfortunately I got the same result.... a dead boot, with nothing happening.
I did note however, when I truned the machine off (holding the on/off button
for more than four seconds) and then, with my finger on the keyboard's 'F1'
button, I turned the machine back on the machine was able to boot. I
repeated this procedure a number of times to ensure that this would work
this way (ie booting whilst holding onto the F1 button).

Anyway, I still don't think it is satisfactory to have to boot my machine by
holding gown the F1 button. There is something wrong. I am back to bios
1006 and the machine boots normally again.

BTW I had previously upgraded from bios 1003 to 1006 without any problems.
Anyone experiencing similar problems??

Regards,
Shane

John Hollingsworth
October 23rd 04, 01:34 PM
In article >,
(no spam) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have an Asus A8V (revision 1.02) with an AMD64 3500+ CPU. My boot
> drive is a WD Raptor (36gig) configured to run off one of the VIA Sata
> connectors. I also have a standard IDE Seagate 160gig connected to the
> IDE 1 port as well as two 160gig Sata Seagates configured as RAID 0
> running off the Promise connectors.
>
> I cannot seem to update the bios from 1006 to 1007 without it resulting
> in problems. When I upgraded the bios to 1007 I was left with a
> machine to would not boot, no boot messages on the screen, nothing. I
> manged to reinstall the previous bios and the machine machine
> functioned normally. Just in case it was just a problem with that
> particular bios (1007), I thought I'd try an update the bios to the
> latest beta version 1008.002. Unfortunately I got the same result.... a
> dead boot, with nothing happening. I did note however, when I truned
> the machine off (holding the on/off button for more than four seconds)
> and then, with my finger on the keyboard's 'F1' button, I turned the
> machine back on the machine was able to boot. I repeated this
> procedure a number of times to ensure that this would work this way (ie
> booting whilst holding onto the F1 button).
>
> Anyway, I still don't think it is satisfactory to have to boot my
> machine by holding gown the F1 button. There is something wrong. I am
> back to bios 1006 and the machine boots normally again.
>
> BTW I had previously upgraded from bios 1003 to 1006 without any
> problems. Anyone experiencing similar problems??
>
> Regards,
> Shane

I had a similar type of problem when I went from 1006 -> 1007. I have 2 x
SATA on the promise as XP Pro32 IDE HDDs and 1 x PATA IDE with X64
installed.

After flashing to 1007, the defaults were loaded and put the Promise to
RAID and thus when I booted I went straight to the PATA drive, which was
different to the original F8 on boot order. So I had to do 2 boot cycles
to pick up the Promise HDDs and then set them in the right boot order. A
bit garbled, but you hopefully will get the concepts ;-)

John

Please remove "NO-SPAM" if sending email.