PDA

View Full Version : AMD Athlon 64 Processor Driver for Windows XP?

October 19th 04, 10:27 PM
Hi.

Does the driver
(http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9706,00.html)
really work for Windows XP Professional SP2 (all updates)? I cannot
seem to tell the differences. Maybe I forgot to enable something?

Thank you in advance.
--
At length, when they came to a (lowly) valley of ants, one of the ants
said: "O ye ants, get into your habitations, lest Solomon and his hosts
| |o o| | E-mail: or
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address if your e-mail was returned.
( )

Dee
October 20th 04, 01:03 PM
wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Does the driver
> (http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9706,00.html)
> really work for Windows XP Professional SP2 (all updates)? I cannot
> seem to tell the differences. Maybe I forgot to enable something?
>
> Thank you in advance.
It depends on your motherboard. The driver varies the CPU and fan speed
on MBs that support the "Cool-n-Quiet" features of the Athlon 64 CPUs.

October 20th 04, 11:29 PM
Dee > wrote:
> wrote:

> > Hi.
> >
> > Does the driver
> > (http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9706,00.html)
> > really work for Windows XP Professional SP2 (all updates)? I cannot
> > seem to tell the differences. Maybe I forgot to enable something?
> >
> > Thank you in advance.
> It depends on your motherboard. The driver varies the CPU and fan speed
> on MBs that support the "Cool-n-Quiet" features of the Athlon 64 CPUs.

Oh, I have to enable in CMOS? I have ASUS K8V SE motherboard. I will
try that later. I hope I can save a lot of power and heat during idled
times.
--
At length, when they came to a (lowly) valley of ants, one of the ants
said: "O ye ants, get into your habitations, lest Solomon and his hosts
crush you (under foot) without knowing it." --Surah 27. The Ant, The
Ants, line 18
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx & http://aqfl.net
| |o o| | E-mail: or
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address if your e-mail was returned.
( )

October 21st 04, 09:56 AM
> > > (http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9706,00.html)
> > > really work for Windows XP Professional SP2 (all updates)? I cannot
> > > seem to tell the differences. Maybe I forgot to enable something?
> > >
> > > Thank you in advance.
> > It depends on your motherboard. The driver varies the CPU and fan speed
> > on MBs that support the "Cool-n-Quiet" features of the Athlon 64 CPUs.

> Oh, I have to enable in CMOS? I have ASUS K8V SE motherboard. I will
> try that later. I hope I can save a lot of power and heat during idled
> times.

I see "Cool'n'Quiet" in CMOS, but there is no enable/disable option as
noted in the K8V SE motherboard manual like shown on
http://www.asus.com/products/mb/cnq.htm ... I also enabled the Q-fan,
but it didn't make enabled/disabled option come up.

Any ideas?
--
At length, when they came to a (lowly) valley of ants, one of the ants
said: "O ye ants, get into your habitations, lest Solomon and his hosts
crush you (under foot) without knowing it." --Surah 27. The Ant, The
Ants, line 18
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx & http://aqfl.net
| |o o| | E-mail: or
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address if your e-mail was returned.
( )

Dee
October 21st 04, 12:52 PM
wrote:

>>>It depends on your motherboard. The driver varies the CPU and fan speed
>>>on MBs that support the "Cool-n-Quiet" features of the Athlon 64 CPUs.
>

>>Oh, I have to enable in CMOS? I have ASUS K8V SE motherboard. I will
>>try that later. I hope I can save a lot of power and heat during idled
>>times.
>

> I see "Cool'n'Quiet" in CMOS, but there is no enable/disable option as
> noted in the K8V SE motherboard manual like shown on
> http://www.asus.com/products/mb/cnq.htm ... I also enabled the Q-fan,
> but it didn't make enabled/disabled option come up.
>
> Any ideas?
Does yours show "Disabled"? If so, did you press "Enter" to see if
there were any options? Updating the BIOS would be another option.
Usually the items that are changed or corrected in a BIOS update are noted.

October 21st 04, 09:27 PM
Dee > wrote:

> >>Oh, I have to enable in CMOS? I have ASUS K8V SE motherboard. I will
> >>try that later. I hope I can save a lot of power and heat during idled
> >>times.
> >

> > I see "Cool'n'Quiet" in CMOS, but there is no enable/disable option as
> > noted in the K8V SE motherboard manual like shown on
> > http://www.asus.com/products/mb/cnq.htm ... I also enabled the Q-fan,
> > but it didn't make enabled/disabled option come up.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> Does yours show "Disabled"? If so, did you press "Enter" to see if
> there were any options? Updating the BIOS would be another option.
> Usually the items that are changed or corrected in a BIOS update are noted.

None! No option! It's like missing! I have 1004 BIOS installed since I
ever got the motherboard over a month ago. I guess I can live without
this feature. It would had been nice to let the computer slow down during
idled times.