PDA

View Full Version : New hardware is constantly crashing windows

brett
October 9th 04, 12:45 PM
Hi all,

I have recently purchased a new AMD 64-bit processor, and it (or something
else) is giving me constant troubles with windows 2000 (SP4) constantly
crashing.

I have the following hardware:

AMD 3200 64bit processor
Gigabyte GA- K8VM800M motherboard
2x 512Mb DDR PC-3200
GeForce FX5200EP video card.

The interesting thing is that win2k crashes (blue screen) when I only have
one memory card in the motherboard. This happens regardless of the memory
slot, or which of the two memory cards I use.
I usually run the board with both memory card in use and it crashes
(unreliably) every hour or so. This usually happens when I am using the
internet, but it sometimes if I have no connection to the web, but I am
doing something intensive like a compilation. I've tried installing XP-64bit
and it does that same thing with that OS too.

This is a most frustrating situation, and it sounds like a memory problem
but I dont know why it works better with both memory cards in use?? Are
there any memory testing programs that I can use to determine and pinpoint
the fault? Or does anyone else have any ideas?

I am running the memory bus speed at 200MHz (what I think it should be).
There is no option with this BIOS to reduce that any further.

Thanks in advance,
Brett.

Matthew Senn
October 9th 04, 03:09 PM
Try this:

http://www.memtest86.com/

"brett" > wrote in message
u...
> Hi all,
>
> I have recently purchased a new AMD 64-bit processor, and it (or something
> else) is giving me constant troubles with windows 2000 (SP4) constantly
> crashing.
>
> I have the following hardware:
>
> AMD 3200 64bit processor
> Gigabyte GA- K8VM800M motherboard
> 2x 512Mb DDR PC-3200
> GeForce FX5200EP video card.
>

> The interesting thing is that win2k crashes (blue screen) when I only have
> one memory card in the motherboard. This happens regardless of the memory
> slot, or which of the two memory cards I use.
> I usually run the board with both memory card in use and it crashes
> (unreliably) every hour or so. This usually happens when I am using the
> internet, but it sometimes if I have no connection to the web, but I am
> doing something intensive like a compilation. I've tried installing
> XP-64bit
> and it does that same thing with that OS too.
>
> This is a most frustrating situation, and it sounds like a memory problem
> but I dont know why it works better with both memory cards in use?? Are
> there any memory testing programs that I can use to determine and pinpoint
> the fault? Or does anyone else have any ideas?
>
> I am running the memory bus speed at 200MHz (what I think it should be).
> There is no option with this BIOS to reduce that any further.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Brett.

Wookie
October 10th 04, 08:50 PM
Try MEMTEST ... if errors, then up you rmemory voltage wee bit and see if
that helps clear up the problem.

"Matthew Senn" > wrote in message
> Try this:
>
> http://www.memtest86.com/
>

> "brett" > wrote in message
> u...
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have recently purchased a new AMD 64-bit processor, and it (or
>> something
>> else) is giving me constant troubles with windows 2000 (SP4) constantly
>> crashing.
>>
>> I have the following hardware:
>>
>> AMD 3200 64bit processor
>> Gigabyte GA- K8VM800M motherboard
>> 2x 512Mb DDR PC-3200
>> GeForce FX5200EP video card.
>>

>> The interesting thing is that win2k crashes (blue screen) when I only
>> have
>> one memory card in the motherboard. This happens regardless of the memory
>> slot, or which of the two memory cards I use.
>> I usually run the board with both memory card in use and it crashes
>> (unreliably) every hour or so. This usually happens when I am using the
>> internet, but it sometimes if I have no connection to the web, but I am
>> doing something intensive like a compilation. I've tried installing
>> XP-64bit
>> and it does that same thing with that OS too.
>>
>> This is a most frustrating situation, and it sounds like a memory problem
>> but I dont know why it works better with both memory cards in use?? Are
>> there any memory testing programs that I can use to determine and
>> pinpoint
>> the fault? Or does anyone else have any ideas?
>>
>> I am running the memory bus speed at 200MHz (what I think it should be).
>> There is no option with this BIOS to reduce that any further.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Brett.

Brett
October 11th 04, 03:42 AM
Yep, memtest found errors and I've replaced the memory and its working like
it should have always. Phey...

Thanks for the help guys!

Brett.