PDA

View Full Version : for wes More GA-K8VT800 memory probs

Paul Wickham
October 9th 04, 11:15 AM
I understand what you say with regard to changing the cl timing but
shouldn't the board detect a 200 MHz bus on the spd or is it normal for it
to detect a lower bus speed when set to auto I like anyone else would assume
a memory problem but as I said in a previous post we have now tried 5
different brands of matched pairs so that pretty much rules memory problem
out though I still wondered if a possible board problem. Do you have some
actual "figure " suggestions with regards to timings and vdimm voltages as a
starting point since if they are wrong it is such a long time to get the
bios to reset by the discharge method once it doesn't boot because gigabyte
in their wisdom thought we didn't need a cmos clear jumper any more

Wes Newell
October 9th 04, 07:42 PM
On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 10:15:21 +0000, Paul Wickham wrote:

> I understand what you say with regard to changing the cl timing but
> shouldn't the board detect a 200 MHz bus on the spd or is it normal for
> it to detect a lower bus speed when set to auto I like anyone else would
> assume a memory problem but as I said in a previous post we have now
> tried 5 different brands of matched pairs so that pretty much rules
> memory problem out though I still wondered if a possible board problem.

The BySPD data for the ram is almost always slower than the rating in the
faster ram. I think the main reason for this is that MB makers have read
the data wrong in many cases causing the ram not to work in the boards
although there was nothing wrong with the ram. My PC3700 ram even defaults
to 166MHz if I use BySPD. And I always buy faster ram than required just
to avoid ram problems.

> Do you have some actual "figure " suggestions with regards to timings
> and vdimm voltages as a starting point since if they are wrong it is
> such a long time to get the bios to reset by the discharge method once
> it doesn't boot because gigabyte in their wisdom thought we didn't need
> a cmos clear jumper any more

Look at what voltage you have with default settings. Increase it by .1v.
Look at the default CL setting and increase it by.5 or 1 if it defaults to
2 instead of 2.5. Might also look for a bios upgrade. Most times ram
problems like you are having is caused by the bios.