PDA

View Full Version : First build questions

OVS
October 3rd 04, 03:45 PM
Recently I completed putting together my first PC build. So far everything
looks o.k (touch wood!).
I have a couple of questions, but please bear with me, my technical
knowledge is almost non-existent.

The CPU Temp idle readings are from 44-50C, processor intensive
temps are up to 60C. Also System temp readings are roughly
the same.

First question is, is this o.k? I had assumed the temperature would be
slightly lower.

The CPU fan speed seems to fluctuate randomly between 900 and 2000rpm. It
doesn't make sense to me. I expected it to increase/ decrease accordingly
to Temp.

Vcore reading is 1.45v, I can't comment as I have no idea regarding this!

The FSB is 201MHz and the CPU clockspeed is at 2010MHz.

Is there a way to tell if the memory is running at the correct speed? Or is
taken as correct if the FSB is set right.

The parts:
AMD (Newcastle) Athlon 64bit 3000+ 754pin/512 L2cache

MSI K8N Neo Motherboard

Crucial 512 DDR400 PC3200) x 2

Antec Sonata Midi Tower Trupower 380W PSU

Sapphire Atlantis Radeon 9800 PRO 128 MB DDR

Western Digital 160GB IDE Harddrive

Thanks

OVS
October 3rd 04, 03:55 PM
On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 15:45:34 +0100, OVS wrote:

Wes Newell
October 3rd 04, 07:02 PM
On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 15:45:34 +0100, OVS wrote:

> The parts:
> AMD (Newcastle) Athlon 64bit 3000+ 754pin/512 L2cache
>
> MSI K8N Neo Motherboard
>
> Crucial 512 DDR400 PC3200) x 2
>
> Antec Sonata Midi Tower Trupower 380W PSU
>
> Sapphire Atlantis Radeon 9800 PRO 128 MB DDR
>
> Western Digital 160GB IDE Harddrive
>
> The CPU Temp idle readings are from 44-50C, processor intensive
> temps are up to 60C. Also System temp readings are roughly
> the same.
>
> First question is, is this o.k? I had assumed the temperature would be
> slightly lower.

System (case) temps should not exceed about 6C above ambient (room) temp.
Everything is relative to the room temp. Assuming you have 24C room temp,
case temp shouldn't exceed around 30C with good case cooling. and at idle
with stock cooler, the cpu temp should be around 35C. Under full load, it
shouldn't exceed about 45C. When my cpu fan died, the cpu shutdown around
60C. Early bioses did not read the temps correctly with the new newcastle
core, so I'd upgrade the bios to make sure it's reading the temps
correctly.

> The CPU fan speed seems to fluctuate randomly between 900 and 2000rpm.
> It doesn't make sense to me. I expected it to increase/ decrease
> accordingly to Temp.

Is the fan actually changing speeds this much, or is it just what's
reported?

> Vcore reading is 1.45v, I can't comment as I have no idea regarding
> this!

I think default is 1.50v, but with powernow, mine will drop to 1.28v. I
wouldn't worry too much about this as long as the system is stableand the
power doesn't fluctuate a lot

> The FSB is 201MHz and the CPU clockspeed is at 2010MHz.

That's about normal.

> Is there a way to tell if the memory is running at the correct speed? Or
> is taken as correct if the FSB is set right.

Should be something in the bios. My board reports both cpu and memory
speeds on boot.

Bill
October 3rd 04, 10:02 PM
In article >, says...
> Recently I completed putting together my first PC build. So far everything
> looks o.k (touch wood!).
> I have a couple of questions, but please bear with me, my technical
> knowledge is almost non-existent.
>
> The CPU Temp idle readings are from 44-50C, processor intensive
> temps are up to 60C. Also System temp readings are roughly
> the same.
>
> First question is, is this o.k? I had assumed the temperature would be
> slightly lower.

The Sonata case in stock condition is not much for cooling. I took
the stock fan and mounted it in the front mounting area behind the hard
drives, blowing at the cpu. Be careful with the stock rubber fan
mounts; they tear easily.

Then I mounted a 120mm Sunon 2300 rpm fan in the rear mounting area
sucking hot air out of the case. Then I replaced the stock HSF with a
Zallman CNPS7000A Pure Copper HSF. This dropped my temps 10~12C over
all.

> The CPU fan speed seems to fluctuate randomly between 900 and 2000rpm. It
> doesn't make sense to me. I expected it to increase/ decrease accordingly
> to Temp.

Might be bios not reading properly, might be bad fan.

> Vcore reading is 1.45v, I can't comment as I have no idea regarding this!

Again, might be bios. Have you flashed to the latest bios for the
board?

> The FSB is 201MHz and the CPU clockspeed is at 2010MHz.
>
> Is there a way to tell if the memory is running at the correct speed? Or is
> taken as correct if the FSB is set right.

Again bios, if your not getting memory errors don't worry about it.
Download and run Prime 95 torture test <
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm > after you get your cooling
problem under control, to check for errors/stability.

> The parts:
> AMD (Newcastle) Athlon 64bit 3000+ 754pin/512 L2cache

Mine: Athlon 64 2800+ <Newcastle> overclocked to
FSB 217Mhz

> MSI K8N Neo Motherboard

Chaintech VNF3-250

> Crucial 512 DDR400 PC3200) x 2

Crucial Ballistix 2x256/512 pc3200 2.5,3,3,7

> Antec Sonata Midi Tower Trupower 380W PSU

Ditto

> Sapphire Atlantis Radeon 9800 PRO 128 MB DDR

Ati 9600Pro 128 MB

> Western Digital 160GB IDE Harddrive

Ditto

> Thanks

Your welcome.

Bill

OVS
October 3rd 04, 10:28 PM
Just writing to thank both you guys on your replies. I wanted to answer
and query some points which you both raised, but...

I'm going through some teething problems with my newly installed PC. Of
all places my newsreader of choice is failing to send messages... and
its driving me crazy!

I'm going to try and sort this out and then deal with the CPU temp stuff.

One thing though, Bill, I had a look around the case to see where the
front fan would go. Do you take off the front to install the fan? Is
there a mount for 120mm fan? Also, with fans do they have a switch to
set on suck/blow? Stupid questions, I know!

Thanks again guys

Oz

Bill
October 3rd 04, 11:27 PM
In article >, says...
> Just writing to thank both you guys on your replies. I wanted to answer
> and query some points which you both raised, but...
>
> I'm going through some teething problems with my newly installed PC. Of
> all places my newsreader of choice is failing to send messages... and
> its driving me crazy!
>
> I'm going to try and sort this out and then deal with the CPU temp stuff.
>
> One thing though, Bill, I had a look around the case to see where the
> front fan would go. Do you take off the front to install the fan?

No.

> Is there a mount for 120mm fan?

Yes.

> Also, with fans do they have a switch to
> set on suck/blow?

No, you just mount them in the proper direction for air movement. If
you look close on the sides of the fans there should be small arrows
showing rotation and airflow directions.

>Stupid questions, I know!

I've seen worse. :)

> Thanks again guys
>
> Oz

The fan mounts on the rear side oh the hard drive cage. Sucks air past
the hard drives and blows it towards the rear exhaust fan. You can see
the mounting holes in this view:

http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?style=album

Bill

OVS
October 3rd 04, 11:59 PM
Bill wrote:
> In article >, says...
>
>>Just writing to thank both you guys on your replies. I wanted to answer
>>and query some points which you both raised, but...
>>
>>I'm going through some teething problems with my newly installed PC. Of
>>all places my newsreader of choice is failing to send messages... and
>>its driving me crazy!
>>
>>I'm going to try and sort this out and then deal with the CPU temp stuff.
>>
>>One thing though, Bill, I had a look around the case to see where the
>>front fan would go. Do you take off the front to install the fan?
>

> No.
>

>>Is there a mount for 120mm fan?
>

> Yes.
>

>>Also, with fans do they have a switch to
>>set on suck/blow?
>

> No, you just mount them in the proper direction for air movement. If
> you look close on the sides of the fans there should be small arrows
> showing rotation and airflow directions.

argghh.. it really was a stupid question. sorry :)

>>Stupid questions, I know!
>

> I've seen worse. :)
>

>>Thanks again guys
>>
>>Oz
>>

> The fan mounts on the rear side oh the hard drive cage. Sucks air past
> the hard drives and blows it towards the rear exhaust fan. You can see
> the mounting holes in this view:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?style=album
>
> Bill

The link doesn't work, but I went to newegg and found the pic I think
you are referring to. Its a strange place to put a fan. If they had put
the mounts nearer the front, cooler air could be sucked in. This way,
aren't you just taking in air from the harddrive surround? (Hope I'm
looking at the right pic!)

I've uploadad it here
http://img68.exs.cx/img68/5165/11-129-127-02.jpg

Is this the one?

Thanks again.

Bill
October 4th 04, 12:43 AM
In article >, says...
> Bill wrote:
> > In article >, says...

<snip>

> > The fan mounts on the rear side oh the hard drive cage. Sucks air past
> > the hard drives and blows it towards the rear exhaust fan. You can see
> > the mounting holes in this view:
> >
> > http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?style=album
> >
> > Bill
> >

> The link doesn't work, but I went to newegg and found the pic I think
> you are referring to. Its a strange place to put a fan.

Yup.

> If they had put the mounts nearer the front, cooler air could be sucked in. This way,
> aren't you just taking in air from the harddrive surround? (Hope I'm
> looking at the right pic!)

Correct pic. I'll have to agree that the fan placement isn't optimum,
but if it was placed in front of the hard drives, it would still be
sending air warmed by the hard drives over the motherboard to the
exhaust fan. It's still supposed to suck cool air in from the front and
over the hard drives though.

> I've uploadad it here
> http://img68.exs.cx/img68/5165/11-129-127-02.jpg
>
> Is this the one?

Yup. Remember that that case emphasizes quiet over cooling, hence the
special Tru380 p/s with only one fan ( where the regular one has two )
and the single, low rpm, 120mm exhaust fan. If I were in your shoes,
I'd try a better HSF first, then replace the rear exhaust fan with one
that move more air but is still fairly quiet, say in the 2000~2500 rpm
range, then put the front fan in. Stop the process whenever you get
your cpu temps down to where you like them, then test for stability.

Running Prime95 torture test 24 hours with the cpu temp not exceeding
55C and no errors would be a good test.

> Thanks again.

De nada.

Bill