PDA

View Full Version : New Intel compilers for x86-64

Yousuf Khan
October 2nd 04, 07:13 AM
Intel's compiler suite now has support available for x64 systems. It also
looks like Intel is playing nice for right now, and not doing anything to
prevent their code from working on AMD systems. Versions available for Linux
and Windows, even though Windows for x64 isn't due out till 2005.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-5393204.html?tag=default

Yousuf Khan

--
Humans: contact me at ykhan at rogers dot com
Spambots: just reply to this email address ;-)

RusH
October 2nd 04, 08:17 PM
"Yousuf Khan" > wrote :

> Intel's compiler suite now has support available for x64 systems.

btw, you can compile kernel with ICC (heawy hacks but works, 10% faster
on average).

Pozdrawiam.
--
RusH //
http://randki.o2.pl/profil.php?id_r=352019

Yousuf Khan
October 2nd 04, 10:47 PM
RusH wrote:
> "Yousuf Khan" > wrote :
>
>> Intel's compiler suite now has support available for x64 systems.
>
> btw, you can compile kernel with ICC (heawy hacks but works, 10%
> faster on average).

10% faster compilation or 10% faster kernel?

Yousuf Khan

RusH
October 3rd 04, 01:50 AM
"Yousuf Khan" > wrote :

> RusH wrote:
>> "Yousuf Khan" > wrote :
>>
>>> Intel's compiler suite now has support available for x64 systems.
>>
>> btw, you can compile kernel with ICC (heawy hacks but works, 10%
>> faster on average).
>
> 10% faster compilation or 10% faster kernel?

kernel :)
there were 2 slowdowns out of >10 tests, its in Linux Magazine Poland
this month :)
http://softwareforums.intel.com/ids/board/message?board.id=16
&message.id=1504
http://www.pyrillion.org/index.html?showframe=linuxkernelpatch.html

Pozdrawiam.
--
RusH //
http://randki.o2.pl/profil.php?id_r=352019

Grumble
October 3rd 04, 04:01 PM
RusH wrote:

> Yousuf Khan wrote:
>
>> RusH wrote:

>>> btw, you can compile kernel with ICC (heavy hacks but works,
>>> 10% faster on average).
>>
>> 10% faster compilation or 10% faster kernel?
>
> kernel :) there were 2 slowdowns out of >10 tests, it's in Linux
> Magazine Poland this month :)

Are there standard benchmarks for operating system kernels?

RusH
October 3rd 04, 04:45 PM
Grumble > wrote :

> Are there standard benchmarks for operating system kernels?

yes, Linus use them
everything is in the link i posted earlier

Pozdrawiam.
--
RusH //
http://randki.o2.pl/profil.php?id_r=352019

Grumble
October 3rd 04, 06:55 PM
RusH wrote:

> Grumble wrote:
>
>> Are there standard benchmarks for operating system kernels?
>
> yes, Linus use them
> everything is in the link i posted earlier

Call me dense :-)

I see no such reference.

RusH
October 3rd 04, 11:43 PM