PDA

View Full Version : Athlon XP 3200 reading as Sempron 2200mhz with new A7N8X-E Deluxe Bios

Eric Feinstein
September 30th 04, 04:54 AM
I bought an OEM 3200 and originally it was read as an Athlon XP 3200 on both
my original A7N8X Deluxe my A7N8X-E Deluxe. When I updated the A7N8X-E
Deluxe BIOS to 1012-e the processor is coming up as a Sempron 2200mhz in the
bios. I have the processor speed at 200 and the multiplier is at 11 in the
bios as it was before the BIOS upgrade. I ran Crystal CPUID and it is saying
I have an Athlon XP Barton but the name string is AMD Sempron. The mhz is
right for a 3200, the L2 cache is 512k as it should be as well. The Family
is 6 and the generation is 7 and the model is A. I don't know if I really
have a 3200XP or if I have a 2500 or even a Sempron. I just want to make
sure I didn't get ripped off by the vendor. Any help figuring this out would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric

Wes Newell
September 30th 04, 09:20 AM
On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 03:54:46 +0000, Eric Feinstein wrote:

> I bought an OEM 3200 and originally it was read as an Athlon XP 3200 on both
> my original A7N8X Deluxe my A7N8X-E Deluxe. When I updated the A7N8X-E
> Deluxe BIOS to 1012-e the processor is coming up as a Sempron 2200mhz in the
> bios. I have the processor speed at 200 and the multiplier is at 11 in the
> bios as it was before the BIOS upgrade. I ran Crystal CPUID and it is saying
> I have an Athlon XP Barton but the name string is AMD Sempron. The mhz is
> right for a 3200, the L2 cache is 512k as it should be as well. The Family
> is 6 and the generation is 7 and the model is A. I don't know if I really
> have a 3200XP or if I have a 2500 or even a Sempron. I just want to make
> sure I didn't get ripped off by the vendor. Any help figuring this out would
> be greatly appreciated.

Reported names are created by the bios according clock speed and L2 cache
size. Does that help? IOW's the one below is reported as an Unknown
Processor @ 2400MHz. and I know it's an Athlon XP 2100+ that's
overclocked. What the bios reports has no meaning as to performance,
actual cpu or anything else. Set a 2500+ to 11*200 and it will be reported
as a 3200+ if the bios is correct. Your new bios seems to have some
cosmtic bugs that won't affect the performance in any way.