PDA

View Full Version : Athlon 64 3200 specs?

Paul Wickham
September 26th 04, 11:56 AM
Can one tell me what the multiplier fsb and voltages etc should be for a AMD
64 3200 on a gigabyte GA-K8VT800 bios F7 using DDR400 if i set them manually
though i thought the multiplier was locked? I am not convinced the bios is
recognising it correctly. CPUID obviously recognises the speed to be 2057
mhz correctly but if i play with EasyTune 4 or EasyTune 5 it gives me a
speed of 1005.02mhz with a system bus of 200 and a dram of 400 in linear
mode or a speed of 1850.50 in divider mode also multiplier seems to vary
between 5.9 x or 11 x so I am totally lost so which is correct

Wes Newell
September 26th 04, 02:54 PM
On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 10:56:47 +0000, Paul Wickham wrote:

> Can one tell me what the multiplier fsb and voltages etc should be for a AMD
> 64 3200 on a gigabyte GA-K8VT800 bios F7 using DDR400 if i set them manually

No, because it depends on which model 3200+ you have. One is 2000MHz with
a 10 multiplier and 1M L2 cache. The other is 2200MHz with an 11
multiplier and 512K L2 cache.

888
September 26th 04, 08:23 PM
"Paul Wickham" > wrote in message
> Can one tell me what the multiplier fsb and voltages etc should be for a
> AMD 64 3200 on a gigabyte GA-K8VT800 bios F7 using DDR400 if i set them
> manually though i thought the multiplier was locked? I am not convinced
> the bios is recognising it correctly. CPUID obviously recognises the speed
> to be 2057 mhz correctly but if i play with EasyTune 4 or EasyTune 5 it
> gives me a speed of 1005.02mhz with a system bus of 200 and a dram of 400
> in linear mode or a speed of 1850.50 in divider mode also multiplier seems
> to vary between 5.9 x or 11 x so I am totally lost so which is correct

My cousin just built his A64 recently and he said at idle it's 55C and full
load at 70C. From a A32 point of view that range is totally unacceptable!!!
I warned my cousin about that but he insists that these are normal
(according to the manual; and that his system is still beating the sh#t out
of Doom 3).

Could anyone verify that the mentioned temperature range is *normal* for an
A64?

Thanks!

888
September 26th 04, 08:24 PM
Missed out the model ops...

It's an Athlon 64 3400+ with stock fan/HS.

JK
September 26th 04, 08:33 PM
That sounds high, and not optimal, but not dangerous. Is there a case
fan or two? Does the case get good ventilation? Some people put the pc
in a cabinet ot against a wall or other thing that obstructs air flow
through
the case. Is it being used in an air conditioned room?

888 wrote:

> Missed out the model ops...
>
> It's an Athlon 64 3400+ with stock fan/HS.

ThunderPC
September 26th 04, 09:19 PM
"888" > wrote in message

> "Paul Wickham" > wrote in message
>> Can one tell me what the multiplier fsb and voltages etc should be for a
>> AMD 64 3200 on a gigabyte GA-K8VT800 bios F7 using DDR400 if i set them
>> manually though i thought the multiplier was locked? I am not convinced
>> the bios is recognising it correctly. CPUID obviously recognises the
>> speed to be 2057 mhz correctly but if i play with EasyTune 4 or EasyTune
>> 5 it gives me a speed of 1005.02mhz with a system bus of 200 and a dram
>> of 400 in linear mode or a speed of 1850.50 in divider mode also
>> multiplier seems to vary between 5.9 x or 11 x so I am totally lost so
>> which is correct
>>

> My cousin just built his A64 recently and he said at idle it's 55C and
> full load at 70C. From a A32 point of view that range is totally
> unacceptable!!! I warned my cousin about that but he insists that these
> are normal (according to the manual; and that his system is still beating
> the sh#t out of Doom 3).
>
> Could anyone verify that the mentioned temperature range is *normal* for
> an A64?

That is not "normal", but not totally out of range either. You don't really
want it any higher than 70, but it should be running no more than 50-55 at
full load (most i have seen are cooler than that).

David Efflandt
September 27th 04, 11:03 AM
On Sun, 26 Sep 2004, > wrote:

> "Paul Wickham" > wrote in message
>> Can one tell me what the multiplier fsb and voltages etc should be for a
>> AMD 64 3200 on a gigabyte GA-K8VT800 bios F7 using DDR400 if i set them
>> manually though i thought the multiplier was locked? I am not convinced
>> the bios is recognising it correctly. CPUID obviously recognises the speed
>> to be 2057 mhz correctly but if i play with EasyTune 4 or EasyTune 5 it
>> gives me a speed of 1005.02mhz with a system bus of 200 and a dram of 400
>> in linear mode or a speed of 1850.50 in divider mode also multiplier seems
>> to vary between 5.9 x or 11 x so I am totally lost so which is correct
>>

> My cousin just built his A64 recently and he said at idle it's 55C and full
> load at 70C. From a A32 point of view that range is totally unacceptable!!!
> I warned my cousin about that but he insists that these are normal
> (according to the manual; and that his system is still beating the sh#t out
> of Doom 3).
>
> Could anyone verify that the mentioned temperature range is *normal* for an
> A64?

Maybe the sensors are inaccurate. A friend's Compaq with 32-bit XP runs
up to 70C @ 100% cpu which is acceptable for that (85C limit).

But AMD 64s normally run cooler with a case limit of 70C and will
automatically shut down if too hot (mobile 64s are rated 95C). My 3200+
(2GHz) normally runs idles 40C or less depending upon room temp. It was
topping out at 50C @ 110% cpu (bumped to 2.2GHz). At standard speed and a
hotter video card (6800) it gets a little warmer while gaming.

Wes Newell
September 27th 04, 07:29 PM
On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 20:23:17 +0100, 888 wrote:

> My cousin just built his A64 recently and he said at idle it's 55C and full
> load at 70C. From a A32 point of view that range is totally unacceptable!!!
> I warned my cousin about that but he insists that these are normal
> (according to the manual; and that his system is still beating the sh#t out
> of Doom 3).
>
> Could anyone verify that the mentioned temperature range is *normal* for an
> A64?

No, it's not normal, but you can be sure that the temps aren't correct
either. Tell him to upgrade his MB bios adn the reported temps should come
way down. There's a problem with old bios and new newcastle core A64's,
which he surely has.

Paul Wickham
September 28th 04, 12:11 AM
Thanks for your replies it appears to be a 3200 with 512 cache well that's
what cpu info and cpuid programs show both off AMD site say one puzzling
thing as well about these two little programs is that the speed shown seems
to vary depending its mood I can run each program say ten times and get a
different processor speed shown each time. as wes seems to be the fountain
of knowledge in these matters I need the specs to set it all manually in the
bios as if I leave everything to auto I am sure its not recognising
correctly: I have corsair ddr 400 which has been switched with other memory
but always shows men clock as 166 I assume it should be 200? 2nd multiplier
seems to show as either 5 or 10 or 11 in easy tune depending on its mood
also on auto ldt clock seems to be 200 I assume it should be 800 MHz if I
use ddr 400

Juergen Kluth
September 30th 04, 12:13 PM
hi,
different speeds may be shown while "working cool & quiet"
g jk