PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP 64 bit

No Spam
September 20th 04, 05:50 PM
Any thoughts on it from anyone who has used it?

What is the latest on whether or not it will be released in 2004?

---

Derek Baker
September 20th 04, 05:57 PM

http://freespace.virgin.net/m.warner/Roadmap2005.htm#WinXP%2064-bit%20AMD64

--
Derek

Derek Baker
September 20th 04, 05:59 PM

Second opinion: http://endian.net/details.asp?ItemNo=4035
--
Derek

The Chief
September 20th 04, 09:24 PM
No Spam wrote:

> Any thoughts on it from anyone who has used it?
>
> What is the latest on whether or not it will be released in 2004?
>
> ---

Win XP x64 is still a Prerelease Beta version and lacks some hardware
support since 64-bit drivers are not available for everything. Most
32-bit software runs somewhat faster on x64, and there are some packages
that don't run at all.

Microsoft's latest and official release information is 1st half of 2005
and that is specific as they will get at this time.

David Efflandt
September 21st 04, 06:03 AM
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 16:24:55 -0400, The Chief > wrote:
> No Spam wrote:
>
>> Any thoughts on it from anyone who has used it?
>>
>> What is the latest on whether or not it will be released in 2004?
>>
>> ---
>
> Win XP x64 is still a Prerelease Beta version and lacks some hardware
> support since 64-bit drivers are not available for everything. Most
> 32-bit software runs somewhat faster on x64, and there are some packages
> that don't run at all.

I found drivers for all my hardware (HP a530n w/nForce3 150 chipset,
nVidia video, Realtek AC97 sound), except my winmodem. My experience
running 32-bit benchmarks under it is that the slight penalty is barely
measurable, and not at all noticeable.

> Microsoft's latest and official release information is 1st half of 2005
> and that is specific as they will get at this time.

John Hollingsworth
September 21st 04, 10:02 AM
In article >, (No Spam) wrote:

> Any thoughts on it from anyone who has used it?
>
> What is the latest on whether or not it will be released in 2004?

I'm using it on an Asus A8v and it has worked OK and been completely
stable. The only problems have been no Promise drivers for IDE SATA use,
(RAID drivers OK) and no 64bit AV s/w available.

Subjectively, I don't see much difference in speed on 32 bit s/w between
X64 and XP Pro 32.

X64 due out first half 2005.

John

Please remove "NO-SPAM" if sending email.

Carlo Razzeto
September 22nd 04, 01:05 AM
"No Spam" > wrote in message
> Any thoughts on it from anyone who has used it?
>
> What is the latest on whether or not it will be released in 2004?
>

> ---

It's been fairly stable for me, I really havn't used it extensivly though.
And the only 64 bit app I have for it is IE, which unfortunetly seems to
have trouble loading 32bit plugins

Carlo

Yousuf Khan
September 22nd 04, 08:39 AM
Carlo Razzeto > wrote:
> It's been fairly stable for me, I really havn't used it extensivly
> though. And the only 64 bit app I have for it is IE, which
> unfortunetly seems to have trouble loading 32bit plugins

Now that Shadow Ops has been released in its 64-bit incarnation, I think
it's time for you to really test your system out. :-)

Yousuf Khan

Carlo Razzeto
September 22nd 04, 11:11 PM
"Yousuf Khan" > wrote in message
> Carlo Razzeto > wrote:
>> It's been fairly stable for me, I really havn't used it extensivly
>> though. And the only 64 bit app I have for it is IE, which
>> unfortunetly seems to have trouble loading 32bit plugins
>
> Now that Shadow Ops has been released in its 64-bit incarnation, I think
> it's time for you to really test your system out. :-)
>
> Yousuf Khan

Well I did manage to get the Serious Sam games to run on XP64, but those are
the only ones thus far that I've managed. The rest just crash etc... I'm
guessing it's a combination of the fact that I'm using beta ATI Radeon
drivers and I didn't install any of these games on XP64. Serious Sam played
very well though!

Carlo

Povl H. Pedersen
September 25th 04, 08:09 AM
In article >, John Hollingsworth wrote:
> X64 due out first half 2005.

I am suprised Intel could convince Microsoft to delay it.
But Intel has much catchup to do. They have just dropped the
Itanic CPU for dekstop PCs, and don't have a desktop 64-bit CPU.

--
Povl H. Pedersen - (yes - it works)
Fastnet - IP telefoni: 5 kr/md Se http://www.musimi.dk

September 25th 04, 11:57 AM
On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 07:09:42 +0000 (UTC), "Povl H. Pedersen"
> wrote:

>In article >, John Hollingsworth wrote:
>> X64 due out first half 2005.
>
>I am suprised Intel could convince Microsoft to delay it.
>But Intel has much catchup to do. They have just dropped the
>Itanic CPU for dekstop PCs, and don't have a desktop 64-bit CPU.

What a great lawsuit that would make ;)