PDA

View Full Version : SATA cables?


888
September 13th 04, 02:27 PM
Hi all!

I've just built an AMD 64 system but still undecided whether to stick with
IDE or change to SATA hard drives. Say if I were to get SATA drives would
there be *different cable speeds for SATA cables* like IDE? ie, ATA 66 and
the stiffer ATA 100+ cables.

If so what are the standards?

Thanks!

The Chief
September 13th 04, 02:43 PM
888 wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I've just built an AMD 64 system but still undecided whether to stick with
> IDE or change to SATA hard drives. Say if I were to get SATA drives would
> there be *different cable speeds for SATA cables* like IDE? ie, ATA 66 and
> the stiffer ATA 100+ cables.
>
> If so what are the standards?
>
> Thanks!
>
>
The current speed for SATA is 150 mega-bits per second. 300 Mbps has
been approved and will be coming out sometime in the future. I haven't
seen any 300Mbps cables yet, but 150Mbps are readily available.

I went with SATA when I built my AMD 64 system and am very happy with
them. I have seen remarks from some people who were not pleased with
SATA. I guess there can be some contributing factors affecting how they
work in each system.

What MB did you go with?

888
September 14th 04, 01:58 AM
"The Chief" > wrote in message
...
> 888 wrote:
>> Hi all!
>>
>> I've just built an AMD 64 system but still undecided whether to stick
>> with IDE or change to SATA hard drives. Say if I were to get SATA drives
>> would there be *different cable speeds for SATA cables* like IDE? ie, ATA
>> 66 and the stiffer ATA 100+ cables.
>>
>> If so what are the standards?
>>
>> Thanks!
> The current speed for SATA is 150 mega-bits per second. 300 Mbps has been
> approved and will be coming out sometime in the future. I haven't seen
> any 300Mbps cables yet, but 150Mbps are readily available.
>
> I went with SATA when I built my AMD 64 system and am very happy with
> them. I have seen remarks from some people who were not pleased with
> SATA. I guess there can be some contributing factors affecting how they
> work in each system.
>
> What MB did you go with?
>

Hi thanks for the reply.

Got the MSI K8T Neo FIS2R motherboard :)

SATA seems to be the future. So will go for it.

I heard SATA won't boot up with Windows installed on it? Hmmm

bah humbug
September 14th 04, 03:21 AM
On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 01:58:42 +0100, "888" >
wrote:

>
>"The Chief" > wrote in message
...
>> 888 wrote:
>>> Hi all!
>>>
>>> I've just built an AMD 64 system but still undecided whether to stick
>>> with IDE or change to SATA hard drives. Say if I were to get SATA drives
>>> would there be *different cable speeds for SATA cables* like IDE? ie, ATA
>>> 66 and the stiffer ATA 100+ cables.
>>>
>>> If so what are the standards?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>> The current speed for SATA is 150 mega-bits per second. 300 Mbps has been
>> approved and will be coming out sometime in the future. I haven't seen
>> any 300Mbps cables yet, but 150Mbps are readily available.
>>
>> I went with SATA when I built my AMD 64 system and am very happy with
>> them. I have seen remarks from some people who were not pleased with
>> SATA. I guess there can be some contributing factors affecting how they
>> work in each system.
>>
>> What MB did you go with?
>>
>
>Hi thanks for the reply.
>
>Got the MSI K8T Neo FIS2R motherboard :)
>
>SATA seems to be the future. So will go for it.
>
>I heard SATA won't boot up with Windows installed on it? Hmmm
>

My motherboard's got SATA on the south bridge, but I passed on it.
The only SATA drive worthwhile is the 10K rpm raptor and not because
of the SATA interface.

SATA right now is still a pipedream. You buy a SATA drive, you get an
IDE drive with an extra chip to convert the ide interface to SATA.
Why bother ? The only real SATA drives are the Seagates, and they
have had their own problems with compatibility.

Then there's the problems with software that doesn't fully support
SATA boot drives too.

I'm going to wait until SATA is a LOT more mature than it is now.
Right now it's kind of an IQ test for computer geeks. (Just like most
of Intel's marketing schemes.)

kal
September 14th 04, 08:27 AM
On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 09:43:41 -0400, The Chief > wrote:

>888 wrote:
>> Hi all!
>>
>> I've just built an AMD 64 system but still undecided whether to stick with
>> IDE or change to SATA hard drives. Say if I were to get SATA drives would
>> there be *different cable speeds for SATA cables* like IDE? ie, ATA 66 and
>> the stiffer ATA 100+ cables.
>>
>> If so what are the standards?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>>
>The current speed for SATA is 150 mega-bits per second. 300 Mbps has
>been approved and will be coming out sometime in the future. I haven't
>seen any 300Mbps cables yet, but 150Mbps are readily available.

I think you mean 150 mega BYTEs per second. SATA raw wire speed is 1.5
Gpbs with 10 bit coding per byte.

The Chief
September 14th 04, 12:16 PM
888 wrote:
> "The Chief" > wrote in message
> ...
>
>>888 wrote:
>>
>>>Hi all!
>>>
>>>I've just built an AMD 64 system but still undecided whether to stick
>>>with IDE or change to SATA hard drives. Say if I were to get SATA drives
>>>would there be *different cable speeds for SATA cables* like IDE? ie, ATA
>>>66 and the stiffer ATA 100+ cables.
>>>
>>>If so what are the standards?
>>>
>>>Thanks!
>>
>>The current speed for SATA is 150 mega-bits per second. 300 Mbps has been
>>approved and will be coming out sometime in the future. I haven't seen
>>any 300Mbps cables yet, but 150Mbps are readily available.
>>
>>I went with SATA when I built my AMD 64 system and am very happy with
>>them. I have seen remarks from some people who were not pleased with
>>SATA. I guess there can be some contributing factors affecting how they
>>work in each system.
>>
>>What MB did you go with?
>>
>
>
> Hi thanks for the reply.
>
> Got the MSI K8T Neo FIS2R motherboard :)
>
> SATA seems to be the future. So will go for it.
>
> I heard SATA won't boot up with Windows installed on it? Hmmm
>
>
I'm using 2 Hitachi 80GB SATA drives on the VT8237 port and I have no
problem with Windows booting. My mb is the MSI K8T Neo-FSR without the
additional Promise RAID. I have 2 systems in this configuration that
have been up for almost 6 months and have not had any problems.

The Chief
September 14th 04, 12:27 PM
kal wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 09:43:41 -0400, The Chief > wrote:
>
>
>>888 wrote:
>>
>>>Hi all!
>>>
>>>I've just built an AMD 64 system but still undecided whether to stick with
>>>IDE or change to SATA hard drives. Say if I were to get SATA drives would
>>>there be *different cable speeds for SATA cables* like IDE? ie, ATA 66 and
>>>the stiffer ATA 100+ cables.
>>>
>>>If so what are the standards?
>>>
>>>Thanks!
>>>
>>>
>>
>>The current speed for SATA is 150 mega-bits per second. 300 Mbps has
>>been approved and will be coming out sometime in the future. I haven't
>>seen any 300Mbps cables yet, but 150Mbps are readily available.
>
>
> I think you mean 150 mega BYTEs per second. SATA raw wire speed is 1.5
> Gpbs with 10 bit coding per byte.
>
You're 100% correct!

John R Weiss
September 16th 04, 09:08 PM
"888" > wrote...
>
> I heard SATA won't boot up with Windows installed on it? Hmmm

You heard wrong. SATA and Win XP are compatible.

John R Weiss
September 16th 04, 09:08 PM
<bah humbug> wrote...
>
> The only SATA drive worthwhile is the 10K rpm raptor and not because
> of the SATA interface.

The Raptor was purpose-built for SATA. AFAIK, it will outperform any PATA drive
out there.


> SATA right now is still a pipedream. You buy a SATA drive, you get an
> IDE drive with an extra chip to convert the ide interface to SATA.
> Why bother ? The only real SATA drives are the Seagates, and they
> have had their own problems with compatibility.

You must be smoking something funny in that pipedream...

Though many SATA drives are based on IDE hardware, the WD Raptor is NOT just "an
IDE drive with an extra chip." It was a 10K RPM SATA drive from the start,
built for performance instead of a lowest-common-denominator price point.

The Seagate SATA drives are SATA versions of their 7200 RPM Barracuda IDE
drives. I have heard nothing about any compatibility problems...


> Then there's the problems with software that doesn't fully support
> SATA boot drives too.

Which software is that?

September 18th 04, 02:26 AM
On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 20:08:26 GMT, "John R Weiss"
> wrote:

>...
>The Raptor was purpose-built for SATA. AFAIK, it will outperform any PATA drive
>out there.
>...
>You must be smoking something funny in that pipedream...
>...
> I have heard nothing about any compatibility problems...
>
>
>
>Which software is that?
>

nonsense

LOL