PDA

View Full Version : Dual Boot tips XP 64 and XP Pro?

Eric Witte
September 7th 04, 04:30 PM
What is the recommendation of running dual boot on these two Operating
Systems? I read somewhere that the 64-bit NTLDR does not work with
regular XP. I'm guessing I need to install XP Pro first and then XP
x64 to a different partition?

Eric

The Chief
September 7th 04, 05:05 PM
Eric Witte wrote:
> What is the recommendation of running dual boot on these two Operating
> Systems? I read somewhere that the 64-bit NTLDR does not work with
> regular XP. I'm guessing I need to install XP Pro first and then XP
> x64 to a different partition?
>
> Eric
That's the recommended method. XPx64 cannot be booted/loaded with the
32 bit ntldr, but XP Home/Pro (32 bit) can be booted/loaded with the
XPx64 ntldr.

Install XP Home/Pro to one partition, then load XPx64 to a separate
partition. If you load XPx64 to the same partition as Home/Pro, you
will foul-up all your program information.

faawkem
September 9th 04, 09:19 AM
On 7 Sep 2004 08:30:39 -0700, (Eric Witte) wrote:

>What is the recommendation of running dual boot on these two Operating
>Systems? I read somewhere that the 64-bit NTLDR does not work with
>regular XP. I'm guessing I need to install XP Pro first and then XP
>x64 to a different partition?
>
>Eric

I dual boot with one drive on the motherboard controller and one drive
on the promise controller card. I switch from scsi to ide in bios to
boot from one or the other.

No micro$oft approval necessary.

The Chief
September 9th 04, 12:27 PM
faawkem wrote:

> On 7 Sep 2004 08:30:39 -0700, (Eric Witte) wrote:
>

>>What is the recommendation of running dual boot on these two Operating
>>Systems? I read somewhere that the 64-bit NTLDR does not work with
>>regular XP. I'm guessing I need to install XP Pro first and then XP
>>x64 to a different partition?
>>
>>Eric
>

> I dual boot with one drive on the motherboard controller and one drive
> on the promise controller card. I switch from scsi to ide in bios to
> boot from one or the other.
>
> No micro$oft approval necessary.

According to participants in the MS 64-bit forum, there are several
people who have 32-bit and 64-bit installed in the same drive, different
partitions. The MS monitors have stated several times that the 32-bit
has to be installed first because the 32-bit ntldr is not capable of
starting up 64-bit, but the 64-bit ntldr can start up 32-bit. When
64-bit is installed, it replaces the 32-bit ntldr with the 64-bit.

faawkem
September 9th 04, 11:17 PM
On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 07:27:17 -0400, The Chief > wrote:

>faawkem wrote:
>
>> On 7 Sep 2004 08:30:39 -0700, (Eric Witte) wrote:
>>

>>>What is the recommendation of running dual boot on these two Operating
>>>Systems? I read somewhere that the 64-bit NTLDR does not work with
>>>regular XP. I'm guessing I need to install XP Pro first and then XP
>>>x64 to a different partition?
>>>
>>>Eric
>>

>> I dual boot with one drive on the motherboard controller and one drive
>> on the promise controller card. I switch from scsi to ide in bios to
>> boot from one or the other.
>>
>> No micro$oft approval necessary.
>>

>According to participants in the MS 64-bit forum, there are several
>people who have 32-bit and 64-bit installed in the same drive, different
>partitions. The MS monitors have stated several times that the 32-bit
>has to be installed first because the 32-bit ntldr is not capable of
>starting up 64-bit, but the 64-bit ntldr can start up 32-bit. When
>64-bit is installed, it replaces the 32-bit ntldr with the 64-bit.

I stand corrected. MS approval necessary.