PDA

View Full Version : WinXP (32-bit) SP2 --> Cool'n'Quiet don't work!

KMS
September 2nd 04, 02:54 AM
Hi,

I installed the XP SP2 last weekend and I just now noticed that Cool'n'Quiet
doesn't work after the SP2 update. (Noticed because video playback was
jerky...)

I tried to uninstall and reinstall CPU driver... but no help. I checked the
power management settings... and they are set to minimal power management.
It doesn't matter what I set, the CPU is always running at lowest speed.
(Yes, I tried to stress the CPU to see the speed increase... didn't work.)

If I uninstall the Cool'n'Quiet driver, the speed comes back to normal (full
speed).

Prior to SP2, Cool'n'Quiet was working great.

I have ASUS A8V Deluxe and Athlon64 3500+.

Anybody else having the same problem?

KMS

Phil G
September 2nd 04, 12:53 PM
On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 01:54:32 GMT, KMS > wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I installed the XP SP2 last weekend and I just now noticed that
> Cool'n'Quiet
> doesn't work after the SP2 update. (Noticed because video playback was
> jerky...)
>
> I tried to uninstall and reinstall CPU driver... but no help. I checked
> the
> power management settings... and they are set to minimal power
> management.
> It doesn't matter what I set, the CPU is always running at lowest speed.
> (Yes, I tried to stress the CPU to see the speed increase... didn't
> work.)
>
> If I uninstall the Cool'n'Quiet driver, the speed comes back to normal
> (full
> speed).
>
> Prior to SP2, Cool'n'Quiet was working great.
>
> I have ASUS A8V Deluxe and Athlon64 3500+.
>
> Anybody else having the same problem?
>
> KMS

Interesting, when I installed SP2 it overwrote the AMD driver with the
default MS driver, I had no CnQ at all, all running full speed (on a base
K8V). Have you tried the latest CPU driver from AMD's site rather than
those supplied by Asus? Re-installing this returned CnQ to normal for me.

Phil.

KMS
September 2nd 04, 01:18 PM
"Phil G" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 01:54:32 GMT, KMS > wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I installed the XP SP2 last weekend and I just now noticed that
>> Cool'n'Quiet
>> doesn't work after the SP2 update. (Noticed because video playback was
>> jerky...)
>>
>> I tried to uninstall and reinstall CPU driver... but no help. I checked
>> the
>> power management settings... and they are set to minimal power
>> management.
>> It doesn't matter what I set, the CPU is always running at lowest speed.
>> (Yes, I tried to stress the CPU to see the speed increase... didn't
>> work.)
>>
>> If I uninstall the Cool'n'Quiet driver, the speed comes back to normal
>> (full
>> speed).
>>
>> Prior to SP2, Cool'n'Quiet was working great.
>>
>> I have ASUS A8V Deluxe and Athlon64 3500+.
>>
>> Anybody else having the same problem?
>>
>> KMS
>>

> Interesting, when I installed SP2 it overwrote the AMD driver with the
> default MS driver, I had no CnQ at all, all running full speed (on a base
> K8V). Have you tried the latest CPU driver from AMD's site rather than
> those supplied by Asus? Re-installing this returned CnQ to normal for me.
>
> Phil.
At the moment I'm running the latest driver downloaded from AMD (dated
4/25/04, I think...) Still don't work: Stuck on lowest speed setting.

I didn't reinstall the C'n'Q software after that. In my understandind that
software is only for displaying the CPU speed and voltage...

Lachoneus
September 3rd 04, 04:02 PM
> At the moment I'm running the latest driver downloaded from AMD (dated
> 4/25/04, I think...) Still don't work: Stuck on lowest speed setting.

Similar problem here, except it's stuck on the highest speed on my ASUS
K8N-E and A64 3000+. Until it wakes up from suspend, that is--then it's
stuck at 800MHz.

I don't know if it would have worked on SP1 because I installed straight
from a slipstreamed SP2 CD.

Reinstalling the AMD driver didn't seem to have any effect.

KMS
September 4th 04, 01:07 AM
"Lachoneus" > wrote in message
>> At the moment I'm running the latest driver downloaded from AMD (dated
>> 4/25/04, I think...) Still don't work: Stuck on lowest speed setting.
>
> Similar problem here, except it's stuck on the highest speed on my ASUS
> K8N-E and A64 3000+. Until it wakes up from suspend, that is--then it's
> stuck at 800MHz.
>
> I don't know if it would have worked on SP1 because I installed straight
> from a slipstreamed SP2 CD.
>
> Reinstalling the AMD driver didn't seem to have any effect.

Well... couldn't find good solution yet.

As a temporary solution I'm using Clockgen to manipulate the multiplier and
voltage manually... when needed.

Luckily the fan speed control seem to work.

Ed Light
September 4th 04, 01:53 AM
Aren't there motherboard drivers you can reinstall?

Just wondering.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

KMS
September 4th 04, 02:05 AM
Don't think so?

All that is needed is to enable the Cool'n'Quiet and ACPI2.0 in bios, and
then install the AMD CPU driver, and then set the power management options
in windows for minimal power management... At least that's how it worked
before WinXP SP2...

I even flashed my motherboard BIOS to the latest... but no help.

news:[email protected]