PDA

View Full Version : Double-sided DDR400 on S754 A64


Lachoneus
August 29th 04, 12:41 AM
I'm looking into building an Athlon 64 system, probably around the 2800+
or 3000+. I've read on Tom's Hardware
(http://www20.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040602/) that socket-754
Athlon 64s do not (officially at least) support two double-sided DIMMs
at DDR400 speeds. I already have a pair of 512MB Corsair PC3200 DIMMs
on the way (don't know yet whether they're double-sided). I haven't
ordered a motherboard yet, but I was looking into the MSI K8N NEO FSR--I
downloaded its manual and found that it purports to support two
double-sided DIMMs at DDR400 speeds, despite the specification.

So my question is, does anyone here have experience in using (or not
being able to use) two double-sided DDR400 DIMMS in a Socket 754 system?

Gilles Vollant
August 29th 04, 03:03 AM
I've two double sided DDR400 DIMM on ly Asus K8V SE Deluxe
each DIMM is 512 MB
The total is 1 Gb on the computer

I believe this is an officially supported configuration

"Lachoneus" > wrote in message
...
> I'm looking into building an Athlon 64 system, probably around the 2800+
> or 3000+. I've read on Tom's Hardware
> (http://www20.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040602/) that socket-754
> Athlon 64s do not (officially at least) support two double-sided DIMMs at
> DDR400 speeds. I already have a pair of 512MB Corsair PC3200 DIMMs on the
> way (don't know yet whether they're double-sided). I haven't ordered a
> motherboard yet, but I was looking into the MSI K8N NEO FSR--I downloaded
> its manual and found that it purports to support two double-sided DIMMs at
> DDR400 speeds, despite the specification.
>
> So my question is, does anyone here have experience in using (or not being
> able to use) two double-sided DDR400 DIMMS in a Socket 754 system?
>

P.W.U.
August 29th 04, 07:29 PM
"Lachoneus" > wrote in message
...
> I'm looking into building an Athlon 64 system, probably around the 2800+
> or 3000+. I've read on Tom's Hardware
> (http://www20.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040602/) that socket-754
> Athlon 64s do not (officially at least) support two double-sided DIMMs at
> DDR400 speeds. I already have a pair of 512MB Corsair PC3200 DIMMs on the
> way (don't know yet whether they're double-sided). I haven't ordered a
> motherboard yet, but I was looking into the MSI K8N NEO FSR--I downloaded
> its manual and found that it purports to support two double-sided DIMMs at
> DDR400 speeds, despite the specification.
>
> So my question is, does anyone here have experience in using (or not being
> able to use) two double-sided DDR400 DIMMS in a Socket 754 system?

I too have an Asus K8V SE Deluxe with two double-sided DIMMs installed.and
running at DDR 400. Trust the motherboard manufacturer's manual -- the 754
A64s are most certainly capable of this configuration, but perhaps there are
some motherboards that can't handle it. The MSI board you're looking at
should be fine.


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.745 / Virus Database: 497 - Release Date: 27/08/2004

The Chief
August 29th 04, 08:25 PM
P.W.U. wrote:
> "Lachoneus" > wrote in message
> ...
>
>>I'm looking into building an Athlon 64 system, probably around the 2800+
>>or 3000+. I've read on Tom's Hardware
>>(http://www20.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040602/) that socket-754
>>Athlon 64s do not (officially at least) support two double-sided DIMMs at
>>DDR400 speeds. I already have a pair of 512MB Corsair PC3200 DIMMs on the
>>way (don't know yet whether they're double-sided). I haven't ordered a
>>motherboard yet, but I was looking into the MSI K8N NEO FSR--I downloaded
>>its manual and found that it purports to support two double-sided DIMMs at
>>DDR400 speeds, despite the specification.
>>
>>So my question is, does anyone here have experience in using (or not being
>>able to use) two double-sided DDR400 DIMMS in a Socket 754 system?
>
>
> I too have an Asus K8V SE Deluxe with two double-sided DIMMs installed.and
> running at DDR 400. Trust the motherboard manufacturer's manual -- the 754
> A64s are most certainly capable of this configuration, but perhaps there are
> some motherboards that can't handle it. The MSI board you're looking at
> should be fine.
>
>
> ---
> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> Version: 6.0.745 / Virus Database: 497 - Release Date: 27/08/2004
>
>
I know it may be a bit unusual, but I think Tom's Hardware may have a
typographical error. The chart in the book for my MSI K8T Neo-FSR (skt
754) shows the system will run at 400MHz 2 double sided DIMMs for most
configurations. Running 3 double sided, or 2 single sided and 1 double
sided, or 1 single sided and 2 double sided, all cause the system to
drop down to 333MHz. This concurs with information I have read in other
sources.

I am running 2 double sided 512MB DIMMS and they are running at 400MHz.

Lachoneus
August 29th 04, 11:37 PM
> Download the manual for the board and look at the section about Ram,
> just about all of them have a chart in the manual of what's supported
> and at what speeds, take you 5 mins. ;p

I did that, as I mentioned in the OP...

> btw, I have two double sided 512MB sticks in my VNF3-250 and run them at
> DDR400+ speed no problem.

That's what I wanted to know. Since I read conflicting reports about
whether it's supported, I wanted to find out if it works in the real world.

Thanks all who replied.

spock
September 3rd 04, 04:25 AM
I have a Epox 8KDA3+ and it only supports 1 ds dimm I know I have one and
with 2 ds dimms got BSOD until I removed one dimm. I am looking for SS dimms
1Gb size that will work, any ideas?
"The Chief" > wrote in message
...
> P.W.U. wrote:
> > "Lachoneus" > wrote in message
> > ...
> >
> >>I'm looking into building an Athlon 64 system, probably around the 2800+
> >>or 3000+. I've read on Tom's Hardware
> >>(http://www20.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040602/) that socket-754
> >>Athlon 64s do not (officially at least) support two double-sided DIMMs
at
> >>DDR400 speeds. I already have a pair of 512MB Corsair PC3200 DIMMs on
the
> >>way (don't know yet whether they're double-sided). I haven't ordered a
> >>motherboard yet, but I was looking into the MSI K8N NEO FSR--I
downloaded
> >>its manual and found that it purports to support two double-sided DIMMs
at
> >>DDR400 speeds, despite the specification.
> >>
> >>So my question is, does anyone here have experience in using (or not
being
> >>able to use) two double-sided DDR400 DIMMS in a Socket 754 system?
> >
> >
> > I too have an Asus K8V SE Deluxe with two double-sided DIMMs
installed.and
> > running at DDR 400. Trust the motherboard manufacturer's manual -- the
754
> > A64s are most certainly capable of this configuration, but perhaps there
are
> > some motherboards that can't handle it. The MSI board you're looking at
> > should be fine.
> >
> >
> > ---
> > Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
> > Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> > Version: 6.0.745 / Virus Database: 497 - Release Date: 27/08/2004
> >
> >
> I know it may be a bit unusual, but I think Tom's Hardware may have a
> typographical error. The chart in the book for my MSI K8T Neo-FSR (skt
> 754) shows the system will run at 400MHz 2 double sided DIMMs for most
> configurations. Running 3 double sided, or 2 single sided and 1 double
> sided, or 1 single sided and 2 double sided, all cause the system to
> drop down to 333MHz. This concurs with information I have read in other
> sources.
>
> I am running 2 double sided 512MB DIMMS and they are running at 400MHz.
>

The Chief
September 3rd 04, 12:32 PM
spock wrote:

> I have a Epox 8KDA3+ and it only supports 1 ds dimm I know I have one and
> with 2 ds dimms got BSOD until I removed one dimm. I am looking for SS dimms
> 1Gb size that will work, any ideas?
> "The Chief" > wrote in message
> ...
>
C O R R E C T I O N: It will only run at 400 MHZ with single sided
DIMMs. Either one, two, or three. But ALL must be single sided.

The Chief
September 3rd 04, 01:10 PM
spock wrote:

> I have a Epox 8KDA3+ and it only supports 1 ds dimm I know I have one and
> with 2 ds dimms got BSOD until I removed one dimm. I am looking for SS dimms
> 1Gb size that will work, any ideas?
> "The Chief" > wrote in message
> ...
>
I tried to send an attached .PDF before, but it may not make it. So,
here is the link: http://www.epox.com/USA/article.asp?ID=1684

It's an update to your manual addressing memory.

You're right about not working with two double sided DIMMs.

Lachoneus
September 3rd 04, 04:39 PM
> So my question is, does anyone here have experience in using (or not
> being able to use) two double-sided DDR400 DIMMS in a Socket 754 system?

Replying to myself...

I bought an Athlon 64 3000+ (Newcastle), ASUS K8N-E Deluxe, and 2x 512MB
Corsair Value Select PC3200 CL2.5 DIMMs. 400MHz CL2.5 timings were
detected and set automatically. No stability problems (so far; I just
finished installing Windows this morning; Prime95 has been running for
over an hour without issue).

I've been unable to find Tom's source, but the limitation doesn't seem
to apply (to all boards, at least).