PDA

View Full Version : Re: Socket A to Socket 754 convertor


yehool
August 26th 04, 07:04 PM
Error: Invalid start/end news items.

Copyright 1998-2004
http://www.ocworkbench.com



"Ed" > wrote in message
...
>
http://www.ocworkbench.com/ocwbcgi/newspro/viewnews.cgi?newsid1093263500,349
14,
>

BigBadger
August 26th 04, 07:20 PM
Here it is on ASRock's site: http://www.asrock.com/news/K7Upgrade880.htm


--
*****Replace 'NOSPAM' with 'btinternet' in the reply address*****
"Ed" > wrote in message
...
> http://www.ocworkbench.com/ocwbcgi/newspro/viewnews.cgi?newsid1093263500,34914,
>

Cuzman
August 27th 04, 01:16 PM
"Ed" > wrote in message
...

" ...the copy & paste ink must of ran out! "



The URL doesn't pick-up the comma at the end. Just add it manually.

Yeremein
August 28th 04, 02:41 AM
That's not a Socket A to Socket 754 converter at all. It's just a
socket A motherboard that has an upgrade slot that you can plug in a
Socket 754 daughterboard into!

So this doesn't allow you to plug an Athlon 64 into your existing Socket
A system. ASRock expects that you might want to buy this board with an
Athlon XP now so you have an Athlon 64 upgrade path--by spending
additional money for their daughterboard. But with nForce3 250-based
S754 boards running for as little $75 online, what's the point? You
have to buy a new CPU either way.

Bill
August 28th 04, 03:09 AM
In article >,
says...
> That's not a Socket A to Socket 754 converter at all. It's just a
> socket A motherboard that has an upgrade slot that you can plug in a
> Socket 754 daughterboard into!
>
> So this doesn't allow you to plug an Athlon 64 into your existing Socket
> A system. ASRock expects that you might want to buy this board with an
> Athlon XP now so you have an Athlon 64 upgrade path--by spending
> additional money for their daughterboard. But with nForce3 250-based
> S754 boards running for as little $75 online, what's the point? You
> have to buy a new CPU either way.
>

Ok, which one of these are you guys talking about?

http://www.asrock.com.tw/news/K8_combo-Z.htm

http://www.asrock.com.tw/news/K8Upgrade760gx.htm

http://www.asrock.com.tw/news/K7Upgrade880.htm

Bill

Wes Newell
August 28th 04, 04:44 AM
On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 19:09:36 -0700, Bill wrote:

> Ok, which one of these are you guys talking about?
>
> http://www.asrock.com.tw/news/K8_combo-Z.htm
>
Nifty little board. So let's say I buy a 754 3200+ with this board today.
Now 1 year down the road I want a 4200+ 939. Ok, just pull the old cpu and
plug in the new. But I'm still stuck with the same board with no new
features that will have come along, and now I've also got an extra cpu.
Some may like this, but it's not for me. And I don't know anything about
the Ali chipset. Is it as good as the NF3-250?

> http://www.asrock.com.tw/news/K8Upgrade760gx.htm
>
> http://www.asrock.com.tw/news/K7Upgrade880.htm
>
These two would leave me in the same boat as the above, but I'd have to
buy the upgrade board for each. Some may find these upgrade paths
attractive, but no way would I buy any of these boards. And I do have an
Asrock K7S8XR3 board now. And it's worked great for me.

--
Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm

BigBadger
August 28th 04, 07:40 AM
"Yeremein" > wrote in message
...
> That's not a Socket A to Socket 754 converter at all. It's just a socket
> A motherboard that has an upgrade slot that you can plug in a Socket 754
> daughterboard into!

I never said it was a converter, I just provided a working link.... it looks
like a pointless idea to me.

*****Replace 'NOSPAM' with 'btinternet' in the reply address*****

Bill
August 28th 04, 11:42 AM
In article >,
says...
> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 19:09:36 -0700, Bill wrote:
>
> > Ok, which one of these are you guys talking about?
> >
> > http://www.asrock.com.tw/news/K8_combo-Z.htm
> >
> Nifty little board. So let's say I buy a 754 3200+ with this board today.
> Now 1 year down the road I want a 4200+ 939. Ok, just pull the old cpu and
> plug in the new. But I'm still stuck with the same board with no new
> features that will have come along, and now I've also got an extra cpu.
> Some may like this, but it's not for me. And I don't know anything about
> the Ali chipset. Is it as good as the NF3-250?

Damifino, I'm just tryin' to figure out who's on first.

Bill
<snip>

Ed Light
August 28th 04, 10:47 PM
Say the motherboard is $70 and the daughterboard $20. A poverty guy with a
socket A chip is building a new computer. He's longing after a sempron 3100
or A 64 2800 but waiting for prices to drop more.

It perfect for him.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Ed Light
August 28th 04, 10:50 PM
I think the Asrock 754/939 will be sis. Their sis 745 board is well-loved by
user reviewers on newegg.

They say it's fast and stable. But it doesn't have good overclocking
options.

I think it has cool and quiet activated.
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Ed Light
August 29th 04, 04:38 AM
The bridge:

http://www.asrock.com/product/product_754Bridge.htm

:-)
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Wes Newell
August 29th 04, 08:46 AM
On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 14:50:15 -0700, Ed Light wrote:

> I think the Asrock 754/939 will be sis. Their sis 745 board is well-loved by
> user reviewers on newegg.
>
> They say it's fast and stable. But it doesn't have good overclocking
> options.
>
That's why I didn't get the Asrock 754 board. The Jetway S755MAX is the
only SIS based board I found that's got what I wanted, and more. Don't
know about their 745 board, but I've got a K7S8XR3 board with the 746FX
chipset that's great. I think their latest chips for the K7 was the 748.

--
Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm

Ed Light
August 29th 04, 09:39 AM
"Wes Newell" > wrote
> The Jetway S755MAX is the
> only SIS based board I found that's got what I wanted, and more.
Does it have cool and quiet?
Darn, they don't have a manual to download.


--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Wes Newell
August 29th 04, 06:05 PM
On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 01:39:20 -0700, Ed Light wrote:

>
> "Wes Newell" > wrote
>> The Jetway S755MAX is the
>> only SIS based board I found that's got what I wanted, and more.
> Does it have cool and quiet?
> Darn, they don't have a manual to download.

CnQ, yes. get manual here.

ftp://61.30.14.91/manual/

It appears their main website (www.jetway.com.tw) is down. I don't no why
the manual adn bioses aren't on the jetwaycomputer.com site. Maybe they
are changing to the new name since jetway.com belongs to the aircraft
jetway people.:-)

--
Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm

The Chief
August 29th 04, 06:36 PM
Wes Newell wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 01:39:20 -0700, Ed Light wrote:
>
>
>>"Wes Newell" > wrote
>>
>>>The Jetway S755MAX is the
>>>only SIS based board I found that's got what I wanted, and more.
>>
>>Does it have cool and quiet?
>>Darn, they don't have a manual to download.
>
>
> CnQ, yes. get manual here.
>
> ftp://61.30.14.91/manual/
>
> It appears their main website (www.jetway.com.tw) is down. I don't no why
> the manual adn bioses aren't on the jetwaycomputer.com site. Maybe they
> are changing to the new name since jetway.com belongs to the aircraft
> jetway people.:-)
>
I downloaded the manual for the S755MAX and there is absolutely no
reference to 'Cool-n-Quiet"

Ed Light
August 29th 04, 08:53 PM
"The Chief" > wrote
> I downloaded the manual for the S755MAX and there is absolutely no
> reference to 'Cool-n-Quiet"

I don't find it either.

Does it lock the pci/agp buses?


--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Ed Light
August 29th 04, 09:05 PM
So the S755MAX has no multiplier control, or are all a-64 boards like that?


--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

The Chief
August 29th 04, 09:09 PM
Ed Light wrote:

> "The Chief" > wrote
>
>>I downloaded the manual for the S755MAX and there is absolutely no
>>reference to 'Cool-n-Quiet"
>
>
> I don't find it either.
>
> Does it lock the pci/agp buses?
>
>
I don't see any reference to locking either. I think nVidia was the
only one with bus locking in the nForce 3 250Gb chipset.

The Chief
August 29th 04, 09:14 PM
Ed Light wrote:

> So the S755MAX has no multiplier control, or are all a-64 boards like that?
>
>
Look at page 32 & 33. You can go from 200 to 233MHZ. So, if you were
running a 3000+ that normally runs at 2000MHz you could overclock it to
2333MHz.

The Chief
August 29th 04, 09:15 PM
Ed Light wrote:

> So the S755MAX has no multiplier control, or are all a-64 boards like that?
>
>
Why don't you download the manual and read it? You might learn
something instead of asking all your questions in a forum!

The Chief
August 29th 04, 09:29 PM
Ed Light wrote:

> "Wes Newell" > wrote
>
>>The Jetway S755MAX is the
>>only SIS based board I found that's got what I wanted, and more.
>
> Does it have cool and quiet?
> Darn, they don't have a manual to download.
>
>
Here are some links to reviews you should probably read:

http://www.amdboard.com/zarch0216-1804.html

http://www.amdboard.com/sis_755_chipset.html

http://xbitlabs.com/articles/chipsets/display/sis755.html

Wes Newell
August 30th 04, 05:12 AM
On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 13:36:01 -0400, The Chief wrote:

> I downloaded the manual for the S755MAX and there is absolutely no
> reference to 'Cool-n-Quiet"

Right, it was added with the first bios update. they've also added
support for the newer cpu's. Last bios was V3 about a month ago.




--
Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm

Wes Newell
August 30th 04, 05:20 AM
On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 12:53:15 -0700, Ed Light wrote:

>
> "The Chief" > wrote
>> I downloaded the manual for the S755MAX and there is absolutely no
>> reference to 'Cool-n-Quiet"
>
> I don't find it either.
>
Wasn't in the original bios.

> Does it lock the pci/agp buses?

No, and neither did any of the other original K8 chipsets.:-)
I only tried a little overclocking and stopped at 215MHz system bus with
ram in sync.. No problems at that speed, I don't know if it has a 7
divider either. Now that they've fixed the NF3 chipset, I'd probably buy
one of those if I was buying today. But the SIS was the best of the
original chipsets, and Jetway added enough bios features to make it a good
choice. I really wanted an ASrock K8 board but it didn't even come close
to the Jetway.

--
Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm

Wes Newell
August 30th 04, 05:24 AM
On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 13:05:52 -0700, Ed Light wrote:

> So the S755MAX has no multiplier control, or are all a-64 boards like that?

All socket 754 cpu's are multiplier locked at the top, All a multiplier
control would do is allow you to slow the cpu down. it really wouldn't be
much of an advantage without a PCI lock and some seriously fast ram. And
even then it wouldn't be much.

--
Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm

Ed Light
August 30th 04, 06:54 AM
"The Chief" > wrote in message
...
> Ed Light wrote:
>
> > So the S755MAX has no multiplier control, or are all a-64 boards like
that?
> >
> >
> Why don't you download the manual and read it? You might learn
> something instead of asking all your questions in a forum!

I did, that's how I know it has no multiplier control.

Further, it doesn't answer my question, which was "all a-64 boards are like
that"?

Thimk 1st, Chief! ;-)
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

August 30th 04, 11:23 AM
On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 17:05:12 GMT, Wes Newell
> wrote:

>On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 01:39:20 -0700, Ed Light wrote:

>> "Wes Newell" > wrote
>>> The Jetway S755MAX is the
>>> only SIS based board I found that's got what I wanted, and more.
>> Does it have cool and quiet?
>> Darn, they don't have a manual to download.

>CnQ, yes. get manual here.

>ftp://61.30.14.91/manual/
>
>It appears their main website (www.jetway.com.tw) is down. I don't no why
>the manual adn bioses aren't on the jetwaycomputer.com site. Maybe they
>are changing to the new name since jetway.com belongs to the aircraft
>jetway people.:-)

site is back up 'n running, as of at this post Wes!

C&P from the site!

755MAXA2BIN
A02 (03/30/04) 755MAXA2.BIN
Support new version ID support I/O chip and backward compatible old
version. Change default year setting from 2003 to 2004 after end-user
clear CMOS. Support AMD K8 Cool'n Quiet function.


Advanced BIOS section on page 22!

here it mentions a ' cooling sprite ', but gives no further clue or
reference to cooling or Cool'n Quiet, only reference is to fan's.

BoroLad

Gaidheal
September 16th 04, 11:22 AM
Just as a point of interest, my XP3000+ is running at 2323 (202 MHz FSB with
11.5 multiplier on the NF2 chipset with all stock cooling). Just thought it
might a fun snippet with the mention of a 3000+ at nearly the same speed as
a hypothetical ;)

John