PDA

View Full Version : Problem installing XP64 to IDE disk


JasonB
August 26th 04, 03:25 PM
Hi there,

I've been trying to install WinXP on to an IDE disk I have in my PC
without much luck, at least not without swapping around the disk
controller priority in the BIOS which means I can't boot from the SATA
drive.

My current PC is based around the KV8-MAX3 with an Maxtor 80GB drive
hooked up to IDE2 Primary. On IDE 1 Primary I have a Sony DRU510 DVD-RW.

I've also got a Sumsung SATA 160GB drive hooked up to the Via 8237 SATA
controller via SATA1. My floppy drive is a Sony USB Floppy drive.

In total, this board will cater for 6 SATA drivers, 2 using the VIA 8237
on-chip controller and another 4 using the Silicon Image onboard
controller. The PC is configured in the BIOS to boot from the SATA
drive and the VIA SATA controller has boot priority.

When I install XP64 with the SATA drivers for the Via 8237 I load the
drivers using F6 and go through the screens. Eventually it gets to the
file copy stage and then asks for the Driver Disk again, but it's in the
drive already - for some reason it just won't move on from this point.

When I install XP64 without the SATA drivers I go through the setup and
it copies the files across succesfully and then when I reboot, nothing
happens, it hasn't changed the boot options on the SATA drive (which is
my primary boot drive). The boot files for XP64 have been installed on
the IDE disk.

Initially I though that this may be a problem with using a USB floppy
drive to install but it works just fine if I install to the SATA drive,
just not when installing to the IDE drive - wtf is going on?

Short of just migrating my Win32 boot parition to the IDE disk and
booting off the IDE disk for both XP32 and XP64 I don't know what else
to do, can anyone offer any guidance here cos I feel like I'm banging my
head against a brick wall now....

--
JasonB

To reply, replace nospam4me with blueyonder

The Chief
August 26th 04, 03:37 PM
JasonB wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I've been trying to install WinXP on to an IDE disk I have in my PC
> without much luck, at least not without swapping around the disk
> controller priority in the BIOS which means I can't boot from the SATA
> drive.
>
> My current PC is based around the KV8-MAX3 with an Maxtor 80GB drive
> hooked up to IDE2 Primary. On IDE 1 Primary I have a Sony DRU510 DVD-RW.
>
> I've also got a Sumsung SATA 160GB drive hooked up to the Via 8237 SATA
> controller via SATA1. My floppy drive is a Sony USB Floppy drive.
>
> In total, this board will cater for 6 SATA drivers, 2 using the VIA 8237
> on-chip controller and another 4 using the Silicon Image onboard
> controller. The PC is configured in the BIOS to boot from the SATA
> drive and the VIA SATA controller has boot priority.
>
> When I install XP64 with the SATA drivers for the Via 8237 I load the
> drivers using F6 and go through the screens. Eventually it gets to the
> file copy stage and then asks for the Driver Disk again, but it's in the
> drive already - for some reason it just won't move on from this point.
>
> When I install XP64 without the SATA drivers I go through the setup and
> it copies the files across succesfully and then when I reboot, nothing
> happens, it hasn't changed the boot options on the SATA drive (which is
> my primary boot drive). The boot files for XP64 have been installed on
> the IDE disk.
>
> Initially I though that this may be a problem with using a USB floppy
> drive to install but it works just fine if I install to the SATA drive,
> just not when installing to the IDE drive - wtf is going on?
>
> Short of just migrating my Win32 boot parition to the IDE disk and
> booting off the IDE disk for both XP32 and XP64 I don't know what else
> to do, can anyone offer any guidance here cos I feel like I'm banging my
> head against a brick wall now....
>
Do you leave the floppy in the drive until the setup tells you to take
it out? I think the setup looks for the driver twice, once when it asks
after pressing F6 and again when it is actually copying files during setup.

Go to the Microsoft Forum for XP64. The instructions are on the MS
site. There may actually be a problem trying to use a USB floppy, but
you can probably get more information in the MS Forum.

JasonB
August 26th 04, 03:54 PM
The Chief wrote:

> JasonB wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>

<snip>

>> Short of just migrating my Win32 boot parition to the IDE disk and
>> booting off the IDE disk for both XP32 and XP64 I don't know what else
>> to do, can anyone offer any guidance here cos I feel like I'm banging
>> my head against a brick wall now....
>>
> Do you leave the floppy in the drive until the setup tells you to take
> it out? I think the setup looks for the driver twice, once when it asks
> after pressing F6 and again when it is actually copying files during setup.
>
> Go to the Microsoft Forum for XP64. The instructions are on the MS
> site. There may actually be a problem trying to use a USB floppy, but
> you can probably get more information in the MS Forum.
>

I thought of that, however I rejected that on the basis that setup does
actually read the SATA drivers from the USB floppy which allows setup to
see both drives.

It's when setup tries to copy the drivers to the destination partition
that it seems unable to read the USB floppy - strange init! I will ask
in the MS Forum though, thanks!

--
JasonB

To reply, replace nospam4me with blueyonder

The Chief
August 26th 04, 04:12 PM
JasonB wrote:
> The Chief wrote:
>
>> JasonB wrote:
>>
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>
> <snip>
>
>>> Short of just migrating my Win32 boot parition to the IDE disk and
>>> booting off the IDE disk for both XP32 and XP64 I don't know what
>>> else to do, can anyone offer any guidance here cos I feel like I'm
>>> banging my head against a brick wall now....
>>>
>> Do you leave the floppy in the drive until the setup tells you to take
>> it out? I think the setup looks for the driver twice, once when it
>> asks after pressing F6 and again when it is actually copying files
>> during setup.
>>
>> Go to the Microsoft Forum for XP64. The instructions are on the MS
>> site. There may actually be a problem trying to use a USB floppy, but
>> you can probably get more information in the MS Forum.
>>
>
> I thought of that, however I rejected that on the basis that setup does
> actually read the SATA drivers from the USB floppy which allows setup to
> see both drives.
>
> It's when setup tries to copy the drivers to the destination partition
> that it seems unable to read the USB floppy - strange init! I will ask
> in the MS Forum though, thanks!
>
The other option is to not use the F6 during setup since you're wanting
to put XP64 on the IDE drive. I did that on my MSI K8T800 Neo-FSR and a
removable IDE. v.1218 loaded drivers for the SATA. The only drawback
to that is if you've set up RAID. XP64 would not let me "update" the
driver to the "viamraid.sys" after the installation. However, I don't
have my 2 SATA drive configured to RAID, they're just C: & D: drive when
I boot from SATA 1.

JasonB
August 26th 04, 04:36 PM
The Chief wrote:

> JasonB wrote:
>
>> The Chief wrote:
>>
>>> JasonB wrote:
>>>
>>>> Hi there,
>>>>
>>
>> <snip>

>> It's when setup tries to copy the drivers to the destination partition
>> that it seems unable to read the USB floppy - strange init! I will
>> ask in the MS Forum though, thanks!
>>
> The other option is to not use the F6 during setup since you're wanting
> to put XP64 on the IDE drive. I did that on my MSI K8T800 Neo-FSR and a
> removable IDE. v.1218 loaded drivers for the SATA. The only drawback
> to that is if you've set up RAID. XP64 would not let me "update" the
> driver to the "viamraid.sys" after the installation. However, I don't
> have my 2 SATA drive configured to RAID, they're just C: & D: drive when
> I boot from SATA 1.
>

Though of that as well and as far as XP64 setup goes, everything goes
well until the reboot. The system files are placed on the destination
partition not the SATA drive (which is the primary boot drive). Hence
setup can never complete.

The only way I can get it to install on the IDE disk is to make the IDE
controller the primary boot device which allows me to boot from the IDE
driver but then it won't boot off the SATA drive so I've lost my current
XP32 partition - Arghh!!

There's gotta be an easier way to do this....
--
JasonB

To reply, replace nospam4me with blueyonder

newsgroups.bellsouth.net
August 27th 04, 04:20 AM
"JasonB" > wrote in message
k...
> Hi there,
>
> I've been trying to install WinXP on to an IDE disk I have in my PC
> without much luck, at least not without swapping around the disk
> controller priority in the BIOS which means I can't boot from the SATA
> drive.

I have WinXP and WinXP 64-bit on my MSI NEO, the WinXP on my SATA Raptor ( I
also have a 120gb SATA drive, both on the Promise controller ) and the WinXP
64-bit on an IDE. What I did was install my WinXP first, then I switched
the boot drive to the IDE and installed WinXP 64-bit, with no SATA drivers.
That way, my WinXP installation can see my WinXP 64-bit install - but not
visa versa ( i.e. it didn't mess it up on install, but I can manage my WinXP
64-bit partitions from WinXP ). I don't know about your mobo, but mine has
the ability to access a boot menu at bootup, so I leave the SATA as the
normal boot drive but when I want to boot to WinXP 64-bit I use the boot
menu to boot to the IDE drive.

JasonB
August 29th 04, 03:42 PM
newsgroups.bellsouth.net wrote:
> "JasonB" > wrote in message
> k...
>
>>Hi there,
>>
>>I've been trying to install WinXP on to an IDE disk I have in my PC
>>without much luck, at least not without swapping around the disk
>>controller priority in the BIOS which means I can't boot from the SATA
>>drive.
>
>
> I have WinXP and WinXP 64-bit on my MSI NEO, the WinXP on my SATA Raptor ( I
> also have a 120gb SATA drive, both on the Promise controller ) and the WinXP
> 64-bit on an IDE. What I did was install my WinXP first, then I switched
> the boot drive to the IDE and installed WinXP 64-bit, with no SATA drivers.
> That way, my WinXP installation can see my WinXP 64-bit install - but not
> visa versa ( i.e. it didn't mess it up on install, but I can manage my WinXP
> 64-bit partitions from WinXP ). I don't know about your mobo, but mine has
> the ability to access a boot menu at bootup, so I leave the SATA as the
> normal boot drive but when I want to boot to WinXP 64-bit I use the boot
> menu to boot to the IDE drive.
>
>
I've been doing a bit of researching on this and from the feedback I've
had from the private Microsoft XP64 beta test newsgroup popular opinion
seems to be that you can't install XP64 if you need to include storage
drivers using a USB attached floppy disk.

While setup will read in the driver from floppy disk after pressing F6,
when it moves to the file copy stage it then attempts to read the floppy
disk again. For some reason the USB devices get re-enumerated and the
floppy drive can't be found at this stage causing setup to continue
prompting to 'insert disk...', the only option is to reboot the computer.

When I originally setup XP32 on this machine I had access to a normal
floppy drive and used that to install the SATA drivers. Guess I'm going
to have to bite the bullet and buy a floppy drive just to install XP64.

--
JasonB

The Chief
August 29th 04, 04:29 PM
JasonB wrote:

>
> When I originally setup XP32 on this machine I had access to a normal
> floppy drive and used that to install the SATA drivers. Guess I'm going
> to have to bite the bullet and buy a floppy drive just to install XP64.
>
> --
> JasonB

I thought you weren't allowed to have bullets in Gross Britannia!

Nick Roberts
August 29th 04, 04:58 PM
On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 11:29:45 -0400, The Chief > wrote:

>> When I originally setup XP32 on this machine I had access to a
>> normal floppy drive and used that to install the SATA drivers.
>> Guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy a floppy drive
>> just to install XP64.
>> -- JasonB
>
> I thought you weren't allowed to have bullets in Gross Britannia!

You can get specially deactivated bullets, for the purposes of biting.

--
Nick Roberts

justwaltzing
February 3rd 05, 11:39 PM
For my MSI motherboard, the floppy disk for it has the 64 bit stuff
commented out. I separated downloaded the 64bit drivers
(viasraid.sys,viasraid.INF) but they have a different name than the
commented out driver on the floppy. (viaMraid.sys,viaMraid.INF) I
tried change the name on the TXTSETUP.OEM but that didnt seem to work.
It accepted thre driver but still claimed not to be able to find the
Raptor (WD SATA) drive. Thinking of buying an ADAPTEC SATA card.


--
justwaltzing
------------------------------------------------------------------------
justwaltzing's Profile: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/member.phtml?userid=760
View this thread: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/showthread.phtml?t=68963

Dee
February 4th 05, 12:47 AM
justwaltzing wrote:
> For my MSI motherboard, the floppy disk for it has the 64 bit stuff
> commented out. I separated downloaded the 64bit drivers
> (viasraid.sys,viasraid.INF) but they have a different name than the
> commented out driver on the floppy. (viaMraid.sys,viaMraid.INF) I
> tried change the name on the TXTSETUP.OEM but that didnt seem to work.
> It accepted thre driver but still claimed not to be able to find the
> Raptor (WD SATA) drive. Thinking of buying an ADAPTEC SATA card.
>
>

I can guarantee you the VIA SATA channel works without problems in x64!

Where did you get your drivers? There is no viasraid.??? for x64.

You can download the appropriate 64-bit drivers from
www.planetamd64.com. You must register to access the Download Section
(ODD Downloads).

For x64 v.1289, RC1, the VIAMRAID.INF must have the required decorations.